CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Your list is a joke. How many of those guys are wearing rings right now? Pitching and defense win baseball games. Period.

Nice. Nice. For "evidence" of their relative quality of overall play and value as baseball players, you might also have mentioned Crede's hair and, I don't know, how strong his dad is.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
Funny in the wayback machine, we were talking about how much of a stud that Ventura was and how Crede wasn't near his offensive prowess and how could Crede take over for the defensive wizardry that Ventura showed. Now a few years later, people act like Crede was a gold glover coming up.

In 2002 Crede received his first taste of the big leagues, he had a 2.36 RF9(Range Factor for 9 innings played) with a zone rating of .766 while Fields had a 2.69 with a zone rating of .713. Crede had 8 errors in 53 games while Fields had 9 errors in 79 games. The almighty's Fielding Percentage was .938 for the god of Gold Glove while Fields has a .958. So as much as we remember the DVD's and the Hawk comparisons to Brooks Robinson, Mr. Crede wasnt Brooks out of the gate like some people believe.

This is true. In the minors Crede was known as a good hit-no field 3B. As was Ventura at OSU.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
You have your choice of Alex Rodriguez, Joe Crede and David Wright, who do you take?

Did A-Rod or David Wright hit a home run off David Riske in 2005 that provoked numerous orgasms from Hawk whilst shouting the name of Brooks Robinson II: Electric Bugaloo? I don't think so. Crede 4 Prez.

Seriously, though, I take David Wright because he hit a home run through a TV in that MLB 2006 or 2007 commercial (forget which) for PS3. Takes some serious talent to make matter cross the boundaries of reality like that.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Nice. Nice. For "evidence" of their relative quality of overall play and value as baseball players, you might also have mentioned Crede's hair and, I don't know, how strong his dad is.

Let's settle this once and for all -- Crede's dad vs. Fields' in a no-holds-barred television free-for-all! "My Dad is Better Than Your Dad", Mondays at 9/8 C on NBC.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
Funny in the wayback machine, we were talking about how much of a stud that Ventura was and how Crede wasn't near his offensive prowess and how could Crede take over for the defensive wizardry that Ventura showed. Now a few years later, people act like Crede was a gold glover coming up.

In 2002 Crede received his first taste of the big leagues, he had a 2.36 RF9(Range Factor for 9 innings played) with a zone rating of .766 while Fields had a 2.69 with a zone rating of .713. Crede had 8 errors in 53 games while Fields had 9 errors in 79 games. The almighty's Fielding Percentage was .938 for the god of Gold Glove while Fields has a .958. So as much as we remember the DVD's and the Hawk comparisons to Brooks Robinson, Mr. Crede wasnt Brooks out of the gate like some people believe.

How did their offense compare?

QUOTE(almagest @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
Searching Google for "Josh Fields' dad" gave me a picture of Ray Liotta. Point to the Fields side.

Which Ray Liotta? The goodfella or the former Sox farmhand?

But seriously, playing Crede at 3B is not currently an option. He'd only be around one year, we're not trading Fields, and there's nowhere else for Fields to play. He won't play the outfield, he won't play 1B because we wouldn't get the right deal for Konerko, and he won't play DH unless Thome gets injured, and I'm sure nobody's hoping for that.

Beyond that, Crede is far from a known commodity so why put any eggs in his basket till he proves himself?

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Your list is a joke. How many of those guys are wearing rings right now? Pitching and defense win baseball games. Period.

That's the same argument that suggests Miguel Batista was a better pitcher than Javier Vazquez last year because he won more games.

That's the same argument that suggests Miguel Batista was a better pitcher than Javier Vazquez last year because he won more games.

Shows how little you know about baseball.

Miguel Batista won a WS ring in 2001. Javier Vazquez choked in game 7 of the 2004 ALCS.

Game. Set. Match.

Batista >>>>>>>>>Javy.

To the original post, I think I have seen Paulie stretch for the ball. Give me a break

on that one.

He has hit clutch home runs.

He's a slugger, a plodder. He is what he is (oops, bad cliche).

He's a good player.

I love Crede. But I think if Fields starts the year in the minors that is a BIG

franchise mistake.

The guy is ready to play in the majors.

If I was Fields I'd consider quitting and being a minister.

He belongs in a major league uniform.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 05:28 AM)
To the original post, I think I have seen Paulie stretch for the ball. Give me a break

on that one.

He has hit clutch home runs.

He's a slugger, a plodder. He is what he is (oops, bad cliche).

He's a good player.

I love Crede. But I think if Fields starts the year in the minors that is a BIG

franchise mistake.

The guy is ready to play in the majors.

If I was Fields I'd consider quitting and being a minister.

He belongs in a major league uniform.

Sorry, but Paulie does not stretch for the ball. I never said he didn't hit clutch home runs, I said that these days they are far and few between. Yes he is a good player, I just don't see in him what alot of other people do. People often get caught up on stats hr's rbi's ect.ect when determining a players worth. I look at all aspects of his game and I just don't see how the sun rises and sets with Paulie in so many peoples minds. This organization is kidding itself if they think this team will be able to compete in this division. They are banking on three unproven pitchers to fill out the rotation. Paulie's trade value is high right now and could go along way to fortify our minor league system. The thought of Fields going back to AAA is ridiculous, as is the thought of letting Crede get away.

I must confess I have no tapes to check to see if Paulie stretches for the ball.

I can't believe he doesn't stretch for the ball.

Maybe some other posters have a take on this.

In the offseason I was thinking I wouldn't be mad if Paulie was dealt in a blockbuster

that could help the team. But I'm happy he's still here. I think he's damn good.

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Paulie's trade value is high right now and could go along way to fortify our minor league system.

Who do you acquire for him? What teams are possible suitors? And who do we put at first then, if not Paulie "stretchless" Konerko? Neither Fields nor Crede have played first, and if defense is so important, why put them there?

Edited by almagest

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Sorry, but Paulie does not stretch for the ball. I never said he didn't hit clutch home runs, I said that these days they are far and few between. Yes he is a good player, I just don't see in him what alot of other people do. People often get caught up on stats hr's rbi's ect.ect when determining a players worth. I look at all aspects of his game and I just don't see how the sun rises and sets with Paulie in so many peoples minds. This organization is kidding itself if they think this team will be able to compete in this division. They are banking on three unproven pitchers to fill out the rotation. Paulie's trade value is high right now and could go along way to fortify our minor league system. The thought of Fields going back to AAA is ridiculous, as is the thought of letting Crede get away.

While I agree that Paulie is not above being traded, you will NEVER convince me that his "clutch" home runs are any more infrequent than any other power hitter's on any other team. Hitting too many solo bombs, for any player on any team, is more an indication of the people's ability to get on base in front of them, or how you use them in the lineup (see: Soriano. Silly Lou...). It's not an indication of their "clutchness".

Besides, clutch is a silly concept that just distorts statistics based on our ability to remember important hits more than unimportant ones. There are very few players in history with a numerical basis for the qualification, either positively or negatively. Most of them just came up with "important hits" that were totally in line with their career numbers.

Just as an example, I could call Paulie clutch because he hit a Grannie in one of the biggest games in franchise history. Agree? No? Good, me neither.

Heh, sorry for the rant, I do agree with some of your points and I think that we should trade Paulie if the deal is right. However, I haven't heard of a deal yet that I'd part with Konerko for...were I a GM. And it's a damn good thing I'm not or Shingo Takatsu would still be closing (he was SO FRIGGIN' COOL WHEN HE WAS GOOD!!!)

QUOTE(almagest @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
Who do you acquire for him? What teams are possible suitors? And who do we put at first then, if not Paulie "stretchless" Konerko? Neither Fields nor Crede have played first, and if defense is so important, why put them there?

This organization had no problem trying to put him in LF last year. How hard would it be to start working him in at first. And who said anything about putting Crede at first?

QUOTE(Haarold @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
This organization had no problem trying to put him in LF last year. How hard would it be to start working him in at first. And who said anything about putting Crede at first?

Do you know what is difficult, trying to convince the Crede's fanboys on this site that their guy is going to move. The evidence is overwhelming and the reasons to keep him are minimal at best. The amazing thing is the amount of moves that people have put in place to shuffle everyone around, like Crede is some central player that you build a team around. I love the fact that people gloss over the fact that Joe is represented by Scott Boras. The amazing amount of written history on the relationship between Boras and the whitesox should be enough to realize that a long term deal isnt going to happen unless Joe fires his agent. And why would he do that. He just went through an injury that scares him and his family and he wants to max out years and money just in case his back messes up again. You cant blame him. I shudder to think of the reaction to when Joe is moved. The fanboys will call into stations, ask for Kenny's head, and then hate on Josh Fields because their pet is moved. Kind of like the hate that Thome gets from the Rowand fan boys. I would suggest that you buy a 2005 WS DVD and keep it on infinite replay so you can enjoy Joe for the rest of your life. If you want to see him in the future, you may have to fly out to San Francisco. But look at the bright side, you can get a 2 for one crush treat there.

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
While I agree that Paulie is not above being traded, you will NEVER convince me that his "clutch" home runs are any more infrequent than any other power hitter's on any other team. Hitting too many solo bombs, for any player on any team, is more an indication of the people's ability to get on base in front of them, or how you use them in the lineup (see: Soriano. Silly Lou...). It's not an indication of their "clutchness".

Besides, clutch is a silly concept that just distorts statistics based on our ability to remember important hits more than unimportant ones. There are very few players in history with a numerical basis for the qualification, either positively or negatively. Most of them just came up with "important hits" that were totally in line with their career numbers.

Just as an example, I could call Paulie clutch because he hit a Grannie in one of the biggest games in franchise history. Agree? No? Good, me neither.

Heh, sorry for the rant, I do agree with some of your points and I think that we should trade Paulie if the deal is right. However, I haven't heard of a deal yet that I'd part with Konerko for...were I a GM. And it's a damn good thing I'm not or Shingo Takatsu would still be closing (he was SO FRIGGIN' COOL WHEN HE WAS GOOD!!!)

Your right, Paulies "clutchness" is irrelevant, I mentioned it only because I knew that someone would point out that he hit 30 homers last year, and that that in and of itself is reason enough to keep him around and hitch a ride on his wagon year after year. My point was and still is, is that he is not the super star that alot of people think he is. His 30 homers merely offset every base running gaffe and rally killing double play he hit into. I'm not trying to throw Paulie "under the bus". Guys like him are marketable and make it fun for people to go to games... chanting "PAULIE, PAULIE" with the potential to see a big homerun. Not unlike your reference to Takatsu. Your right it was "friggin'" cool when he would trot from the bullpen and they would sound the gong. But just like Takatsu, Paulie is a one dimensional player. I wouldn't mind seeing him stay here in a dh type of role, and I think that if he is still here in two or three years, that will be his role.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)
Do you know what is difficult, trying to convince the Crede's fanboys on this site that their guy is going to move. The evidence is overwhelming and the reasons to keep him are minimal at best. The amazing thing is the amount of moves that people have put in place to shuffle everyone around, like Crede is some central player that you build a team around. I love the fact that people gloss over the fact that Joe is represented by Scott Boras. The amazing amount of written history on the relationship between Boras and the whitesox should be enough to realize that a long term deal isnt going to happen unless Joe fires his agent. And why would he do that. He just went through an injury that scares him and his family and he wants to max out years and money just in case his back messes up again. You cant blame him. I shudder to think of the reaction to when Joe is moved. The fanboys will call into stations, ask for Kenny's head, and then hate on Josh Fields because their pet is moved. Kind of like the hate that Thome gets from the Rowand fan boys. I would suggest that you buy a 2005 WS DVD and keep it on infinite replay so you can enjoy Joe for the rest of your life. If you want to see him in the future, you may have to fly out to San Francisco. But look at the bright side, you can get a 2 for one crush treat there.

I think I'm probably one of Crede's biggest fans because of his defense and decent hitting. I still think defense and pitching are the keys to winning. however, given the fact the Boras is the agent and the price he will command, I'm ready to begin the Fields era. Realism is more important than getting attached to a player.

I am a White Sox and baseball fan. As much as you want to get attached to a player, the improvement of the team is the most important aspect. IMHO