LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was shocked at the way Alex was killed like that. Execution style and all. I have always liked Desmond, now I am really curious what his role is after the island. If he has one.

Also liked how we saw some of evil Ben in his flash forward, manipulating Sayid into killing that guy. I assume the guy wasn't even the one that killed Nadia, just a guy Ben wanted dead.

The guy who plays Ben, Michael Emerson, deserves some Emmy consideration. The guy is money with his facial expressions.

Also would of never guessed he controlled Smokey.

I'm still up in the air of the whole Thomas Whidmore plot. Just seems so different from the first 3 seasons.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Holy s*** was an incredible episode. Ben might be one of the best characters there is out there. He plays that role sooooo well. The scene between him and Whidmore was just awesome.

no doubt. it's amazing to think that in the original plot conception ben was a pretty minor character who was only around for a few episodes.

-I don\'t understand why and how Ben woke up in Tunisia. He has obviously been there before, but what was he doing? Remember C.S. Lewis finding the polar bear collar there? Also, he was confused on the date. Why?

-The Whidmore thing doesn\'t really make sense at this point. We are under the impression the boat that is at the island right now is financed by Whidmore. If thats the case, he should know where the island is. Why did Ben say to Charles that he would never find the island? Doesn\'t add up.

Why and how ben ended up in Tunisia is very hard to say, it was like the scene where Desmond ended up in New York and saw Charlie. (I believe that was after the button was pressed). It was clearly purposeful that they did not show the events that proceeded Ben appearing

Why was Ben confused about the date? He was confused about the year, because it appears that Ben has time traveled before. When he appeared at the hotel he was not sure whether he was in the past, present, or future. I also believe he stayed under the name Moriarty which was the Sherlock Holmes arch-nemesis (they always love to use literary name references.)

As for Whidmore, he has \"found\" the Island, but at the same time he doesnt know how to get there consistently. Ben appears to be one of the few who can travel back and forth from the Island and suffer little to no effects. He also seems to be one of the few who actually know how to get to the Island. The boat is sitting outside of the Island in present Island time, but Ben was visiting Whidmore in the future. That means that Whidmore has once again lost the location of the Island.

Edited by Soxbadger

Maybe the key that Desmond turned that sent him back has something to do with the time travel.

Read a theory that "Adam and Eve" could be the bodies of Desmond and Penny. Maybe sent back in time so Ben couldn't find them. Kind of far fetched, I know.

We will keep bringing up questions, but they won't be answered for 3 more years on the series finale.

With last night's episode...here's what i think is gonna happen or i would like to see.....

Now that Sayid is working for Ben, he is sent after Widmore's daughter. Going after Penny, Sayid finds Desmond and realizes it's Desmond's Penny that is Widmore's daughter and realizes the error of his ways. Since the love of his life was murdered, Sayid can't bring himself to take Desmond's. Just like on the freighter, Des and Sayid team up to turn the tables on Ben. Being the bad guy..i think he has GOT to get his come-uppence sooner or later.

It was interesting to finally realize that Ben has some sort of control over the smoke monster..though it can't be too good or they wouldn't have had to run away. Still waiting for that story.

I was under the impression that Ben went back in time to before Whidmore had his boat outside the island, as we know time on the Island goes slower than real time, so the boat outside the island is actually a few years past where the people on the island think they are. I was under the assumption that Ben traveled back to tell him that he was going to kill his daughter. Its all very awesome.

I also thought it looked like Hieroglyphics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh

The one symbol looks like a poorly drawn ankh.

Its also interesting that the symbol above the "ankh" is is the inverse of the ankh symbol (squiggly line below a circle instead of above it.)

Perhaps that is why he is appearing in Tunisia, Middle East, etc because it is a connection to the Egyptian lineage of the island. It also could be some sort of combination of Christian/Egyptian symbols.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
Right, but Ben mentioned to Widmore that he killed his daughter, which wouldn't add up to the time BEFORE the freighter got to the island.

Well if he went back in time, his daughter would be dead in the future, and he went back to tell him about it. Theres alot of time-moving in the show right now.

I'm a huge fan of Lost and "The Shape of Things to Come" was one of the most fantastic episodes in the series. I have a few thoughts about things.

Ben waking up Tunisia is pretty significant. The story he gives Sayid is false 'I took Desmond's boat, the Elizabeth I and caught a plane here' was pretty clearly false. Here's my explanation (based on a spoiler from Comiccon):

The Orchid station does some sort of manipulation of space/time. Somehow there are "waypoints" or "vorteces" stemming from the idea that there are "vile vorteces"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile_Vortices throughout the world. I believe that the Orchid station somehow takes advantage of the connections between each and can teleport things from one to the other (such as C.S. Lewis's polar bear, Ben, and Yemi's plane). I think Ben was wearking a winter parka for one of two reasons: he was expecting to end up somewhere very cold or else he came from somewhere very cold (which would not be the Orchid). I'm not sure about the year, but I believe the teleportation occurs in both space AND time, which might have put him in the future by a bit.

Some more random thoughts. Those hieroglyphics come from the native island culture (of which Richard Alpert is a member). The whole reason C.S. Lewis is on the show is to give us some insight into the island's history. I'm guessing that the three new freighter people will all be used to explain certain mysteries of the island that are remaining (Daniel is already starting to explain some of the time mysteries and Miles will explain some of the more supernatural elements to the show). By the way, did you catch the look on Miles's face when the guys were getting thrashed by Smokey? I wonder if he knows what that thing is. Anyways, back to my original point: it looks like the original island culture is somehow related to the smoke monster. Perhaps the room Ben went into was some sort of an island underworld, where he summoned the monster?

The interesting the the producers said was that everything Ben gets the island to do has a price. There are specific mechanics to what goes on the island. Getting it to do something for you costs you something in return.

Edited by Wedge