Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:20 AM)
Not even close. J. Jack was a true pg, James is a shooting guard now. Marquette's offense runs better when Acker is creating, at least from when I've been watching.

James was fine in Maui outside of Chaminade. The Duke game he was getting to the lane whenever he wanted, he had four or five shots that went in and out. His shot selection was fine, too. His shot looks a lot better this year -- don't know if the stats bear that out.

And no, Marquette's offense doesn't run better through Acker. That's silly. Acker is a good bench player, a good backup PG, nothing more.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:49 AM)
James was fine in Maui outside of Chaminade. The Duke game he was getting to the lane whenever he wanted, he had four or five shots that went in and out. His shot selection was fine, too. His shot looks a lot better this year -- don't know if the stats bear that out.

And no, Marquette's offense doesn't run better through Acker. That's silly. Acker is a good bench player, a good backup PG, nothing more.

I just don't think James sets up his teammates well. He was a more well-rounded pg his freshman year. I saw those shots he rimmed out, it will be interesting to see if he keeps shooting with the confidence he showed. As you know, he had no confidence at the end of last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:52 AM)
I just don't think James sets up his teammates well. He was a more well-rounded pg his freshman year. I saw those shots he rimmed out, it will be interesting to see if he keeps shooting with the confidence he showed. As you know, he had no confidence at the end of last year.

Agreed, but he also had Steve Novak his freshman year. It's tough to guard James 1-on-1, even moreso when you know you can't sag off your man because if you give him (Novak) an inch, he'll bury a tre.

I'm not trying to overrate James, BTW. But he gets a lot of crap that should be tossed at Crean. We didn't have much of a half-court offense last year and as a result, James was forced to take a bunch of 'shot-clock-running-down' type shots where he had to try and create all by himself.

As for Illinois, I still think they will be better than last year's team. Pruitt having a night like tonight isn't going to happen often. But they are going to need a statement and it might be hard for them to get one in the Big Ten(Mainly because of a lack of oppurtunity). A W vs. Arizona on a semi-home court would be nice for them.

And Bruce Weber picked a helluva time to coach a rare bad game.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Really? Didn't see the game. But he saved them defensively last week vs. ODU.

Yeah, he has had trouble staying in front of opposing PG's since his injury last year. He had very solid quickness his freshmen season, but hasn't been the same since. Hopefully he can get over it because he's going to be leading the team next year.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
Yeah, he has had trouble staying in front of opposing PG's since his injury last year. He had very solid quickness his freshmen season, but hasn't been the same since. Hopefully he can get over it because he's going to be leading the team next year.

Butler's pretty tough to guard, Frasor played ok.

Buckeyes continue to be maddeningly inconsistent. I hope Koufos stays another year, I want to see him a year older with Mullens next to him.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
He improved in the second half, but was torched in the first half. He is only a serviceable back up, Ty needs to be on the court 30 plus minuets for the Heels to compete for the crown. I am encouraged by the defense in the second half against BYU and OSU, and Green & Ellington has stroked the three fairly well. Thompson was another guy who struggled in the first half, but picked it up in the second. This early tough schedule on the raod for the most part hopefully will pay dividends down the stretch.

Well, huge game tomorrow. We kind of need to win this one now after the beat down on Sunday. That game was absolutely pathetic but it was just one of those days, something the team needs to let go(took me 5 days but I'm almost over it). No one is going to shoot 65 percent against us again and we're not going to shoot 32 percent again, that game was just nuts. Give credit to USC and Tim Floyd though, Floyd had a great game plan and basically used Tyrone Green against us as they left him wide open and just double teamed Randal every time he touched the ball.

Anyways, hopefully we're ready to go and hopefully Clemmons is back as we missed him a ton on Sunday.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
I was told SIU/IU was on ESPN tonight and now that doesn't seem to be the case. This could be both good or bad, depending on the outcome. Dern it!

Sorry you got some misinformation. The game has always been scheduled for ESPNU.

i've been hard on meacham in the past for illinois, but since his no-show against duke he's played much, much better. he's got 20 at the break tonight as illinois leads weber state 47-22.

I can't find a hole small enough to run and hide in. Texas Tech just lost to Centenary. The same team that Baylor beat by 23 and Iowa State(no offense Heads) beat by 10.

Worst loss I have ever seen for Texas Tech. Bob Knight was sick in the 2nd half and that's when Centenary made a huge run on Pat Knight. If that bastard is our next head coach then I quit.