Gov. Spitzer (NY - Dem) netted in prostitution ring

sox4lifeinPA

Sitting Dem Governors are super delegates in the Presidential race. Spitzer supports Clinton, as does Paterson, the NY Lt Governor. However, Paterson already has a vote as a member of the DNC and can't receive a second superdelegate vote. So a Spitzer resignation results in a net loss of one delegate for Clinton come convention time.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
Ehhh that's not even a good comparison. The ugly girl at the bar doesn't cost money, plus isn't nearly as likely to have any sort of STD's.

Clearly, you've never lived in Peoria.

Hmmm... the GOP in New York State really really hates Spitzer.

Mike Bloomberg gives a large donation to Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno in Albany.

The Feds leak that Spitzer is implicated in a prostitution ring investigation within a week of initial arrests.

There's more to this than just prostitution me thinks. This is Joe Bruno being better at Spitzer's game than the Governor ever was.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)

Mike Bloomberg gives a large donation to Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno in Albany.

The Feds leak that Spitzer is implicated in a prostitution ring investigation within a week of initial arrests.

There's more to this than just prostitution me thinks. This is Joe Bruno being better at Spitzer's game than the Governor ever was.

..and it begins. of course, he was set up! FRAMED!!!

I don't think he was framed. Or set up.

I think that since Spitzer tried to end Bruno's political career last year over the use of State vehicles (which backfired miserably for Spitzer), Bruno took a chance on something that could have been a home run.

Both men are bullies. And this has been a pissing match for a year.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
:lolhitting

I saw CBS nightly news tonight. Their coverage of this story was hilarious. First they give a glorifying montage of how great Sptizer is. Then show a shadowy camera angle and creepy music.... the GOP is out to get Spitzer. Then kind of mention that maybe he is busted in a prostitution right.

But of course, this is right down the middle reporting! right northside? I'm sure it is too you. just like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are totally unbiased, or so says the right wing voter.

There is no shame in calling out the media for what they are, but my duty as a informed citizen.

I didn't see this, but, I'd love to see the video. Seriously, are you saying that they made it out to be Spitzer is innocent and the GOP set him up?

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)

Well I think it's pretty obvious that the GOP in New York and their hate for Spitzer is one of the biggest reasons he got caught. However, it also seems pretty obvious he did it, and to think there is anymore to this than that would be a bit silly.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
Well I think it's pretty obvious that the GOP in New York and their hate for Spitzer is one of the biggest reasons he got caught. However, it also seems pretty obvious he did it, and to think there is anymore to this than that would be a bit silly.

It took five years and Larry Flynt to leak that David Vitter used a prostitution ring that got nailed in 2002. The customers generally aren't named or leaked unless someone had an axe to grind. I'm not saying he didn't do it, or doesn't deserve what he gets. The jackass made a name for himself busting prostitution rings as Attorney General. But I am saying that the reason it came out like this and now probably has a lot to do with the enemies that he made in Albany over the last 14 months.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
powerful men like to feel powerful.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
What's the power in paying for sex? Anyone can do that.

They feel they can get away with it. It's the same sort of hubris that allows you to run for office. It takes a real strong ego to run for office. I sometimes believe the very act of wanting to run for office should automatically make you ineligible to hold office.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
This should be a big time story, we'll see if the media covers it like they did Larry Craig.

I should be a big time story in his state, but really, how much does the Governor of another state resigning change in your life? Is it really of national importance? It will get covered for the entertainment value.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
I should be a big time story in his state, but really, how much does the Governor of another state resigning change in your life? Is it really of national importance? It will get covered for the entertainment value.

How about a governor who has really close ties to one of the leading Presidential candidates?

Then again even without the connections to Hillary, the affect is still more than the preachers that are taken down publically for the same kind of stuff.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
How about a governor who has really close ties to one of the leading Presidential candidates?

Then again even without the connections to Hillary, the affect is still more than the preachers that are taken down publically for the same kind of stuff.

Hillary would have to have known he was soliciting prostitutes for it to change my opinion of her. Perhaps the effect is great, but less widespread. The preachers that have been involved in these sorts of things generally have a national following.

I could not even name five Governors, so I just don't see it as being that important outside of his state. Except to score some little political points or, as mentioned, for the entertainment angle.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
By the way, this story broke on the New York Times website. Damn liberal media. Oh wait.

Actually I believe the reporter from the NBC station was the one who has been working this story since last Thurs. He said it started as an IRS money laundering investigation and progressed to the U.S Attorney's office and the FBI. This iin turn led to the wiretaps and Spitzer.

I would think he is indicted on several felony counts if he does not step down.

BTW, did anyone see Ken Langone on CNBC this morning. He being the founder of Home Depot and a member of the NYSE board who voted for Grasso's pay package. He said, "We all have our personal HELL'S, but I hope his is hottest."

Down goes Silver Spoon Spitzer!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
Hillary would have to have known he was soliciting prostitutes for it to change my opinion of her. Perhaps the effect is great, but less widespread. The preachers that have been involved in these sorts of things generally have a national following.

I could not even name five Governors, so I just don't see it as being that important outside of his state. Except to score some little political points or, as mentioned, for the entertainment angle.

Just a thought... Anyone check to see if Bill was a "client" :lol:

(Mostly green text)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
Just a thought... Anyone check to see if Bill was a "client" :lol:

(Mostly green text)

/when I read about the Clinton connection that was my first thought :ph34r: :unsure:

I viewed her campaign's ties to questionable fund raising individuals to be more of an issue. With all the delegates and super delegates out there, every candidate has some problems.

I was thinking my Mayor, Joe Ochoa, endorsed Obama and has campaigned for him. This area is solidly Clinton territory, so this was a courageous endorsement by Ochoa. We also had a state rep or two that weakly came out for Obama and then fell back in line for Clinton. This was big news here, but I doubt it was covered in your media. Was it because he's a Dem, or because politics is local?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
/when I read about the Clinton connection that was my first thought :ph34r: :unsure:

I viewed her campaign's ties to questionable fund raising individuals to be more of an issue. With all the delegates and super delegates out there, every candidate has some problems.

I was thinking my Mayor, Joe Ochoa, endorsed Obama and has campaigned for him. This area is solidly Clinton territory, so this was a courageous endorsement by Ochoa. We also had a state rep or two that weakly came out for Obama and then fell back in line for Clinton. This was big news here, but I doubt it was covered in your media. Was it because he's a Dem, or because politics is local?

Chicago is so pro-Obama it isn't even funny. Everyday there are articles in the papers, but the whole Chicago media is in love with the guy. You hardly hear anything for Hillary or McCain.

So, sidebar, but the article currently up in the NYT makes it sound like Spitzer was a difficult client who would ask his, um, hired help to do things that weren't considered safe. . .

QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
So, sidebar, but the article currently up in the NYT makes it sound like Spitzer was a difficult client who would ask his, um, hired help to do things that weren't considered safe. . .

I skimmed the leaked docs on TSG. It featured an exchange between two, ahem, diamond-rated girls, discussing the supposed reputation of difficulty of client 9. The one girl asked the other if she found him "difficult?" She replied, paraphrasing, 'No. We both knew what I was there to do. I did my thing. He was happy. I know what I'm supposed to do." The second girl goes on, getting almost philosophical about the flesh trade.