Juan Uribe Placed on Waivers

flavum

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
The Sox very well could have the next Alfonso Soriano, who wasn't much younger than Alexei when he made his big league debut as an undersized, poorly fielding 2B who smacked the hell out of the ball and ran like the wind.

Actually, Soriano signed on with the Yankees in 1998, when he was 22 years old. He played his 1st game in 99'. Alexei is 26. 3-4 years in age is a big difference if you ask me. But, I agree with your other comments. He will be very exciting to watch

Edited by jenks45monster

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Actually, Soriano signed on with the Yankees in 1998, when he was 22 years old. He played his 1st game in 99'. Alexei is 26. 3-4 years in age is a big difference if you ask me. But, I agree with your other comments. He will be very exciting to watch

Yeah, but Soriano only played 9 games in 1999 and 22 in 2000 for the Yanks. So he was actually 25 before he was a full time player.

Ramirez has been impressive the couple of times I have seen him this spring, but I think realistically when the games count, he's more Pablo Ozuna at this point than Alfonso Soriano which really isn't too bad. He gets some more strength and who knows. Its a nice gamble considering they really didn't throw out too much cash.

jayson stark had an article that said the sox are thinking long and hard about playing alexei in center

he was one of a handful of guys in the article that are "creating a buzz"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/c...&id=3304727

Alexei Ramirez, 2B-SS-CF, White Sox

SPRING STAT LINE: .366 AVG., .400 OBP, .610 SLG, 5 DOUBLES, 1 TRIPLE, 1 HR, 10 RBIs

This 26-year-old Cuban defector started spring training as a mystery man. Now, a month later, he's the first guy that any visitor to the White Sox camp talks about.

Don't ask where he's going to play. Don't ask if he's going straight to the big leagues. The White Sox haven't settled on any of that (although they're thinking long and hard about installing him in center field). They just know he got four hits in the first spring-training game of his life, and he's been a monster all spring.

"He's your eye-popper, based on tools alone," said one scout. "He's got the whole package -- the body, the bat speed, hands, arm, body control. How it translates remains to be seen. But when you think of players, he just looks the part."

Just as a quick add in to the discussion about Uribe in response to the assertions that he does, at the least, provide great defense and power (from the website billjamesonline.net, so this may not be for the less statistical-minded out there):

Juan Uribe

Hitting for Power: 48th percentile 82nd percentile among shortstops

Plate Discipline: 7th percentile 5th percentile among shortstops

Running: 6th percentile 5th percentile among shortstops

Hitting for Average: 3rd percentile 3rd percentile among shortstops

What does this tell us? Well, what we already know---that he has significant power, in fact remarkable power for a short stop. What else does it tell us? That he's beyond crap at everything else. Those percentiles are horrible.

And as far as defense goes, from his +/- profile (same website)

GROUND DP PLAYS PLUS/MINUS

GIDP Expected Outs Outs Made To His Straight To His

Year Team Inn Opps GIDP Pct Rank GB Air GB Air Right On Left GB Air Total Rank

2005 CWS 1293.1 149 89 .597 15 361 125 364 131 +12 -2 -7 +3 +6 +9 9

2006 CWS 1130.0 130 77 .592 18 320 106 320 109 +10 +2 -12 0 +3 +3 15

2007 CWS 1305.1 152 91 .599 21 392 128 380 133 -2 -5 -5 -12 +5 -7 24

Total 3728.2 431 257 .596 21 1073 359 1064 373 +20 -5 -24 -9 +14 +5 14

Obviously this data should be interpreted with a grain of salt, but basically it's showing that while in 2005 he was an above average shortstop in terms of number of plays made against what could be expected, he's become below average and is, at the very least, trending in the wrong direction. Is there potentially a lot of noise in these sorts of evaluations? Yes. But for what it's worth, he's not looking as good as he used to, and I think casual observation would back that up.

So in response to questions over whether a 2-tool player (power, defense) is worth 4.5 million, that's debatable. But is a one-tool player worth that, especially when, anecdotally, I feel like all his home runs come when a pitcher is just being lazy and that he can be effectively pitched to in clutch situations?

Just my 2 cents

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Yeah, but Soriano only played 9 games in 1999 and 22 in 2000 for the Yanks. So he was actually 25 before he was a full time player.

That very well could be the fate of Alexei as well, only if Uribe stays AND he hits a bump in his journey to the majors.

Is anyone a brain-genius with all of the rules of waivers? I don't understand why it was so difficult to get the details. I understand that the Sox can't comment on a player on waivers. What about an official from MLB or the commissioners office? Nobody was able to determine whether or not it was revocable or irrevocable waivers, and as it turned out (revocable) everyone was wrong. Is there literally no way for this to be determined until after the fact?

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
Is anyone a brain-genius with all of the rules of waivers? I don't understand why it was so difficult to get the details. I understand that the Sox can't comment on a player on waivers. What about an official from MLB or the commissioners office? Nobody was able to determine whether or not it was revocable or irrevocable waivers, and as it turned out (revocable) everyone was wrong. Is there literally no way for this to be determined until after the fact?

As far as I understand it, no, there is no official way to determine what is happening on the waiver wires until a move is officially made. The only way people ever learn what players are put on waivers, what players pass through, and what players are pulled back is by leaks, which aren't always clear or complete.

No part of this off season has been comfortable as a sox fan this year.It is never going to end.At this point we are not looking at the complete 08' roster of the Chicago Whitesox and I dont think thats a good thing.I wouldnt be suprised if we started out slowly with all these positions not set this late into SP training.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
No part of this off season has been comfortable as a sox fan this year.It is never going to end.At this point we are not looking at the complete 08' roster of the Chicago Whitesox and I dont think thats a good thing.I wouldnt be suprised if we started out slowly with all these positions not set this late into SP training.

if you want to win a championship as a Sox fan, expect no comfortable offseason. In '05 we had similar circumstances. This -- is the only way we can win.

i believe there is really only one type of waiver. if a player clears, he may be sent down (if he is allowed to by service years as determined in the CBA), given his outright release, or have nothing happen to him. if the player does not clear the original team may work out a trade with the claiming team within 2 buisness days, recind the the waiver and leave the player on the major league roster, or let he claiming team have the player with the claiming team assuming the players contract, paying a fee to the original team, and placing claimed player on their major league roster. a player may only be placed on waivers once a season (but i am not sure if once a player clears waivers and gets traded at a later date, if the "cleared" status follows the player.

and since the waiver wire is a secret in baseball, no one is allowed to comment on it. this is really to protect the original team from a number of factors, one of them being backlash from the player.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
People are quick to forget the great things players did in the past. That 9th inning in Houston, Uribe made 2 of the finest plays you'll ever see a player make, and did it on the biggest stage in sports. For that, I'll always have fond memories of him, and any real Sox fan should feel the same.

Ditto and thank you!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
I dont understand how anyone can compare A-ram to Pablo. Pablo wishes he had that gap power. His wrists arent half as strong as A-ram's

O no, let's stop this s*** right now. I don't want to start getting confused about 'which' A-Ram we're talking about, because then it'll lead to us all putting numbers next to names just like in basketball and football and I'm tired, tired, f***ing tired of LT2, CP3, and I do not want to be figuring out just who the hell A-Ram5 is. Let's stick to A-Rod, O-Cab, and F-Her and be done with it. DONE.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
O no, let's stop this s*** right now. I don't want to start getting confused about 'which' A-Ram we're talking about, because then it'll lead to us all putting numbers next to names just like in basketball and football and I'm tired, tired, f***ing tired of LT2, CP3, and I do not want to be figuring out just who the hell A-Ram5 is. Let's stick to A-Rod, O-Cab, and F-Her and be done with it. DONE.

Pretty easy, A-Ram on the White Sox is Alexei Ramirez. Theres only one on this team. How is that hard?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
Pretty easy, A-Ram on the White Sox is Alexei Ramirez. Theres only one on this team. How is that hard?

And what happens when the Crosstown series roll around and no one has a clue who people are referring to?