Alexei Ramirez to start at CF on Opening Day?

DaTank

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd actually rather have (assuming uribe is going to be in our lineup)

alexei at SS, uribe at 2nd, BA in CF with garland over floyd in the rotation

instead of

cabrera at SS, uribe at 2nd, alexei in CF with floyd in the rotation

i guess that's the way i look at it right now

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)

instead of

I assume you'd have Uribe and Alexei flipped in scenario 1.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
You may "know", but I don't.

You beat me to it.

If anyone actually "KNEW" what Anderson would do at the MLB level at this point, he wouldn't even be sniffing a major league roster.

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)

instead of

Why would you assume Uribe is going to be in the lineup?

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)

instead of

This was mentioned before, or at least something to that effect. And what someone said in response was very true: do you honestly think anyone, coming into this Spring Training, thought that Alexei or BA would look so good? Hindsight is 20/20, but KW can't operate that way. He has to make moves and doesn't have the luxury of "do-overs".

What's done is done, and while the Sox will greatly miss Garland as their #3 starter, the moves KW made this off-season made us a better team overall.

Edited by lvjeremylv

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
I assume you'd have Uribe and Alexei flipped in scenario 1.

nope. because SS is alexei's strong position, and uribe seems to be better defensively at 2nd than alexei is, granted we've only been able to look at spring training to make decisions like this

The White Sox hope Ramirez carries over his strong spring effort into the start of the 2008 campaign and beyond. He won't just start against pitchers who rely on their fastballs such as Sabathia, he's the everyday center fielder over Brian Anderson and Carlos Quentin.

That job could belong to Ramirez, even when Owens returns, although Guillen is not one to take away a position because of injury.

Oh my.

I figure Alexei is the Sox' fourth-best centerfielder, defensively.

So Ozzie is going to bench Quentin or Anderson for Ramirez, but he won't dream of benching Uribe or even Anderson.

This is worse than his BS last year. The Sox finally have some offensive talent, but Ozzie insists on playing his woodchoppers.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
So Ozzie is going to bench Quentin or Anderson for Ramirez, but he won't dream of benching Uribe or even Anderson.

This is worse than his BS last year. The Sox finally have some offensive talent, but Ozzie insists on playing his woodchoppers.

He won't dream of benching Anderson?

What team have you been watching? I think he has wet dreams about benching Anderson.

While Alexie has looked good in ST, I'm not sold on his ability to hit pitches with movement .... yet. He can hit a fastball, but he won't see many of those until he proves he can hit the offspeed and breaking pitches. I think he'll eventually be able to do so, but it may be ugly for a while.

I have no problem with Ramirez starting... but why in earth is Uribe starting? Not having Ozuna play 2B and leadoff against Sabathia is plane stupid. Look at the history, Ozuna hits lefties well, and has hit C.C. good as well.

Plus, Swish isn't a leadoff hitter. I like him as a middle of the order type, but not leadoff.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
You beat me to it.

If anyone actually "KNEW" what Anderson would do at the MLB level at this point, he wouldn't even be sniffing a major league roster.

Well, if Owens didn't get hurt he probably wouldn't be on the major league roster. One Owens returns, unless BA manages to light it up, he'll be sent down. The guys has been severely overmatched when the games count.I don't buy into spring training stars. That said, Ramirez could just as easily flame out as well. You know once the word gets around, he'll see about 1 fastball for every 15 breaking balls.

Weird how Swisher was to be starting at CF, and now all of a sudden, Alexei has won the CF job.

I think it's going to be a muddled picture all season long, unless Ramirez produces from the get - go.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
While Alexie has looked good in ST, I'm not sold on his ability to hit pitches with movement .... yet. He can hit a fastball, but he won't see many of those until he proves he can hit the offspeed and breaking pitches. I think he'll eventually be able to do so, but it may be ugly for a while.

Joe Smith made him look like a girl yesterday, K'd him on 3 pitches. Alexie may never see a fastball in his career.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
Weird how Swisher was to be starting at CF, and now all of a sudden, Alexei has won the CF job.

I think it's going to be a muddled picture all season long, unless Ramirez produces from the get - go.

if ramirez does play CF...i wonder how we will be able to get ABs for brian and carlos....these moves the sox have made, sending fields down, sending wasserman down, and allowing ramirez to play ahead of one of our OFers instead of ahead of uribe are simply infuriating ....

if i was running the team the lineup would look like this...swisher cabrera thome konerko dye Aj fields quentin ramirez (theres not an easy out in that lineup, now we will probably have 2 or 3 when owens gets back). and wasserman would be in the pen and masset would be wherever..

as much as i like pablo...now that we have alexei, is there really a need for a guy like pablo on this team?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)

He's won the opening day job. I still think we could see a good deal of Swisher in center and Quentin in left, until Owens returns.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 06:33 AM)

The only thing muddled is Ozzies mind. He talked about Ozuna starting and Thome batting 5th against tough lefthanders then did neither. Against the Cy Young winner you have to have your best defense on the field. If you want Ramirez in the lineup just DH him and put Anderson in center. Thome batting 3rd with his 0-11 & 7 K lifetime line against CC . Ozzie puts the most plodding team in against a guy who if he allows base runners won't even need to worry about holding them on. Ozzies convinced by Ramirez' spring that he deserves to play but not Anderson's spring ?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
He's won the opening day job. I still think we could see a good deal of Swisher in center and Quentin in left, until Owens returns.

Well yeah, that's probably what I'm most hoping for, and for Alexei to be used as a super utility man.

Whether it's just because a lefty is on the hill first up, we'll wait and see.

I just hope, Quentin is getting healthy right now also with that shoulder of his.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 12:50 AM)
The only thing muddled is Ozzies mind. He talked about Ozuna starting and Thome batting 5th against tough lefthanders then did neither. Against the Cy Young winner you have to have your best defense on the field. If you want Ramirez in the lineup just DH him and put Anderson in center. Thome batting 3rd with his 0-11 & 7 K lifetime line against CC . Ozzie puts the most plodding team in against a guy who if he allows base runners won't even need to worry about holding them on. Ozzies convinced by Ramirez' spring that he deserves to play but not Anderson's spring ?

On Thome, these were his overall numbers against lefties last season;

.196/.314/.350

So pretty average. It's be great for the Sox if a Quentin or BA could really step up against lefties and give Ozzie that 2nd option as a DH. Jim still got 289 AB's against righties and crushed 29HR's, that's 1 every 10 plate appearnce.

Whether Ozzie would ever platoon him though, I don't know. It's something he needs to consider though.