Your favorite baseball movie ever?

lostfan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
I'm sorry, but I think the most memorable line from a baseball movie is "I have one thing to say to you....strike this mother f***er out". The similarities between Ricky Vaughn coming in and Jenks vs Bagwell in game 1 of the WS are amazing.

The 2nd most is a few scenes before that when Jake goes to Dorn's house.

"If you ever, EVER, tank another play like that one you did today, I'm gonna cut your nuts off and stuff 'em down your f***in throat."

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 02:47 AM)
The 2nd most is a few scenes before that when Jake goes to Dorn's house.

"If you ever, EVER, tank another play like that one you did today, I'm gonna cut your nuts off and stuff 'em down your f***in throat."

C'mon people...if you ever played catch this one has got to make you tear up just a little...

"Hey Dad...how 'bout a catch?"

Gets me every time.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
Field of Dreams, followed closely by The Natural.

This should really have been a poll.

Has anyone seen 61*? I never got to catch that one.

I thought about making it a poll but I couldn't help feeling like I'd be leaving one off.

I think I'll make a poll now though based off what everybody's said.

Nobody said "The Monty Stratton Story"? Very good movie starring one of my favorite actors of all time - Jimmy Stewart.

"Field of Dreams" is great, of course. Yes, I get the lump in my throat when he asks his dad to have a catch every time. My favorite "line" from that movie is this:

Well, you know I... I never got to bat in the major leagues. I would have liked to have had that chance. Just once. To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?

The best feel good movie for me, though, was "The Rookie". I balled my eyes out when he made it to the bigs and called his son to tell him. I'm welling up right now thinking about it. Yeah, I'm a sissy. Screw off! :P

A few more guilty pleasures:

Mr. Baseball - "You've got a hole in your swing."

The Sandlot - "You're killing me, Smalls!"

Eight Men Out - "Those guys are all gone now."

Major League - "You tryin' to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

Pride of the Yankees - "Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou. Gehrig, Gehrig, Gehrig, Gehrig, Gehrig."

Mr. Baseball, Major League and The Sandlot Kids.

Major League 2 wasn't any good except for Jack Parkman. Weird seeing Omar Epps from 10-15 years ago now.

Oh and the Randy Quaid fan character. "Wild Thing! Mr Choke Thing! You make everything embarrassing!" "I'd knew you'd wimp out Mild Thing. You've got no heart. And forget genatalia, you're a gelding Vaughn, they had you fixed!"

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
Fear Strikes Out.

Eh ... not so much. Bull Durham, Major League and yes I like Love of the Game. I guess my favorite is Field of Dreams, and I think it's the soliloquey (I know that not spelled right, but deal with it) by James Earl Jones near the end of the movie. I love that. For some reason, I'm not all that crazy about the The Natural. It's okay, but it doesn't grab me like the others I've mentioned. Actually, considering how old it is, The Monty Stratton Story wasn't bad.

Angels in the Outfield, Bad News Bears and the movie about the 12 year Cub fan that played for the team as a pitcher... forgot the title ... I'll pass on those.

My favorite movies have already been mentioned. However, here are some other "baseball movies" (using the term very loosely) that I watch if they are on TV (even though some are not that good): Brewster's Millions, Damn Yankees, Naked Gun (see pretty loose association, but hey it has Reggie Jackson), The Scout, Game 6, and the Ken Burns documentary is decent.

Edited by pierard

Whoever mentioned Bang the Drum Slowly, thanks. That was a real tearjerker with a phenomenal cast. DeNiro was just a pup in that one. I think that with Eight Men Out and Bull Durham are my all time favorites with honorable mention to Pride of the Yankees and The Natural, although I do not like it nearly as much now as it was when I watched it as a kid.

On the Bull Durham note, although I typically think Costner's poor acting ruins a lot of films, Crash Davis is one of my all-time favorite characters in both book and film. Right up there with Willy Loman and Hamlet. I think the following line embodies the journeyman minor leaguer outlook on life best:

Bat Boy: "Get a hit, Crash"

Crash: "Shut up"

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
Considering how long this board has been around you guys have probably had this discussion before, but I haven't been here long enough to know.

What's the best one ever? I'd say Bull Durham, A League Of Their Own is pretty underrated. Major League gets knocked down because it has the Indians in it and the Sox are the bad guys. :puke:

There are a few epics in my book that rank above all others:

Sandlot

Rookie of the Year

A League of there Own

Major League

Eight Men Out

Field of Dreams

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
Mr. Baseball, Major League and The Sandlot Kids.

Major League 2 wasn't any good except for Jack Parkman. Weird seeing Omar Epps from 10-15 years ago now.

Oh and the Randy Quaid fan character. "Wild Thing! Mr Choke Thing! You make everything embarrassing!" "I'd knew you'd wimp out Mild Thing. You've got no heart. And forget genatalia, you're a gelding Vaughn, they had you fixed!"

I really liked Major League 2. The scene where Roger Dorn has to get hit by a pitch was fantastic.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Worst baseball movie ever? That one with one of the guys from friends and a monkey?

IMDB doesnt think so!

I was running a movie theater when this turkey came out. We got to have a special sneak preview of it, which was rare for my theater. (a two screen theater in a city of less than 15,000 people)

I put the film together and decided to watch it to make sure all the splices were right. Fifteen minutes into it my four year old son was completely ignoring the film, and my father and I looked at each other and pondered how this was part of our life that we would never get back. If you think the kid had a short attention span, I would have to inform you that this is the same kid that watched Lion King from start to finish every night for a month two years before this.

If your idea of entertainment is monkeys farting - this is your film. If you're looking for something slightly more entertaining with animals, go watch Babe instead.

Did anyone else see or like Babe starring John Goodman? I thought it was pretty good and interesting.