The "Mighty" Detroit Tigers

sox-r-us

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
It's nice to see that today, as it would seem to help us. But if you really think that team is not going to hit, you're delusional.

i think the decline that magglio will have (because hes simply not as good as he was last year) and the decline to sheffield, pudge (who never gets on base anyways) due to age will be huge....i also dont think granderson will be as good as he was last year....adding miggy will certainly help offset alot of that....but im not sure that guys like polanco will hit .330 (even tho he should be above .300) again this year....what they did last year was ridiculous without cabrera, and im just not sure that they will match it even with cabrera this year..

they are still better than the royals though and they will score tons of runs, just dont expect last years production from all those guys

An alternative way of looking at it is the Royals might be better than the reputation that justifiably precedes them. I am not convinced they are the 90+ loss bottom dwellers we have come to know and love. They have some young talent and can give some teams some trouble this year. I think the AL Central will be competitve from top to bottom this year. There will obviously be one or two teams that excel, but I do not see one patsy like we have had with the Royals most recently and the Tigers a few years back.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
It's nice to see that today, as it would seem to help us. But if you really think that team is not going to hit, you're delusional.

Nobody said they will not hit; but to give them the AL Central crown before opening day was a tad bit delusional too. Get my point?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
i think the decline that magglio will have (because hes simply not as good as he was last year) and the decline to sheffield, pudge (who never gets on base anyways) due to age will be huge....i also dont think granderson will be as good as he was last year....adding miggy will certainly help offset alot of that....but im not sure that guys like polanco will hit .330 (even tho he should be above .300) again this year....what they did last year was ridiculous without cabrera, and im just not sure that they will match it even with cabrera this year..

they are still better than the royals though and they will score tons of runs, just dont expect last years production from all those guys

But we are the only team that can have players perform below their career averages.....haven't you seen the great experts on this site tout their wisdom all off-season?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
The greatest hitting team ever has scored 3 runs in 2 games, being shut out once by the mighty Royals

Yes, it is early, but maybe there is some truth to letting the game be played ON the field

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Nobody said they will not hit; but to give them the AL Central crown before opening day was a tad bit delusional too. Get my point?

Uh, yeah you did. You were mocking the idea that they could score runs. Since that's all you mentioned, that's all I responded to.

Anyway, I'm impressed by their team, as many are, but I don't think any of us are 'giving them the AL Central crown'. If anything, I've seen more people here calling the Indians the team to beat. If I had to guess today, I'd expect a hard fight between those two teams.

But the main thing is, it's way, way too early to even talk about this. The Tigers will score runs, the Sox won't have a team era over 9, and the Royals won't go 162-0. A couple games means nothing.

All I can say about them is they better hit, because their pitching is garbage. When your relying on a revival from Dontrelle Willis as he moves to the real league this year to aid your staff, it's a big problem. And their bullpen might be even worse than ours.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'm just going to go ahead and say that the AL Central is far and away the best division in baseball, and that the last place team could quite possibly finish in 2nd place in every other division except the AL East. Just a hunch right now. The only team that might not is the Twins, but with that much young talent, it's hard to gauge how good they really are right now.

I could honestly see the Sox finishing in last place with 75-77 wins, and I would be perfectly content with a season like that.

And, to get back on topic, I don't think the Tigers offense is as good as it was advertised. It's good, and it will almost assuredly be a top 5 offense in all of baseball, but I look for declines of any amount in Maggs, Granderson, Polanco, Renteria, and Sheffield. People may not realize it, but Sheffield put up .203/.324/.299/.624 in the second half of last season, and that involved a .172/.304/.232/.536 line from July 22nd until the end of the year.

I said in the preseason that the Tigers are boom or bust, and I'm not about to back away from that right now. Either that team is going to explode and put up absolutely monstrous numbers and take the division on the back of their offense, or they'll be mediocre and finish in 3rd-ish place with about 84-85 wins.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
Royals up 3-0 in the 6th again.....going for the sweep against the mighty Tiggers....and Cabrera out with a quad injury.....hopefully, we miss playing Cab too this weekend. :gosox3:

It looks like this is not a new injury either:

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said that Cabrera could be available as a pinch-hitter, but wasn't sure when he would be able to play the field again.

"He could hit, but he can't run, so I don't want to use him," Leyland said before the game with Kansas City. "He had some trouble with it over the winter and it was sore during the spring, but I don't know if he hurt it during the rundown yesterday or what."

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
It looks like this is not a new injury either:

I think I read that he hurt it playing winter ball. Not sure where, prolly rotoworld.

Edit: Yes, rotoworld:

Miguel Cabrera was scratched from Thursday's game with a sore left quadriceps.

It's the same problem he's been dealing with since the end of January, when he was hurt in winter ball. With Cabrera out, Brandon Inge shifts to third base and Clete Thomas takes over in center field. Cabrera will probably be back in there on Friday. Apr. 3 - 11:40 am et

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:33 AM)
The Royals start off almost every year 2-0, 3-0 though. Look where it ends them.

Not that 2-0 really says anything, but I do believe that I saw that this was only the second time in 28 years (?) that the Royals have started 2-0.