Quick Revisionism

Princess Dye

I think Brandon will still have a very good major league career, but in the long run the combination of both Massett and Danks is better than McCarthy. If Danks has turned the corner on pitch count, Danks versus BMac could be a wash, with Massett being the gravy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
I think Brandon will still have a very good major league career, but in the long run the combination of both Massett and Danks is better than McCarthy. If Danks has turned the corner on pitch count, Danks versus BMac could be a wash, with Massett being the gravy.

Can't really call it a wash until Brandon pitches more. Boy's been injured a lot.

I never really had a problem with this since it seemed an even trade to me. Yeah I had started believing all of KW's hype about McCarthy but we got the lefty equivalent in return so I wasn't worried, and seeing McCarthy get lit up to start '07 calmed down any real concerns I had. I was scratching my head about the Garcia trade, not this one.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)

Agreed. Also keep in mind that Danks was acquired when Buehrle's long-term status with the Sox was up in the air. Kenny most likely wanted to acquire another LHSP, just in case.

I liked what I saw from Danks during the first half of last year and am chalking up his decline over the second half to a lack of arm conditioning. I think that he'll eventually be a really solid #2.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
Agreed. Also keep in mind that Danks was acquired when Buehrle's long-term status with the Sox was up in the air. Kenny most likely wanted to acquire another LHSP, just in case.

I liked what I saw from Danks during the first half of last year and am chalking up his decline over the second half to a lack of arm conditioning. I think that he'll eventually be a really solid #2.

What's better than having Mark Buehrle in your rotation?

Having 2 Mark Buehrles in your rotation.

i really liked it at the time of the trade because i thought danks would be just as good as mccarthy, was left handed, and younger, plus KW brain washed us into thinking masset was an impact arm....when i found out masset stinks, i liked the trade less, but the fact that mccarthy has arm problems makes me like the trade alot again....

im not sure if its luck or if the sox (in this aspect) are smarter than other teams, but this team should be commended at their ability to keep their starters healthy....when was the last time we had a starter miss more than a start or two to the DL? i mean last year jose missed a few starts, but for the majority of the year it was buerhle vazquez garland contreras and danks....year before that i dont remember anyone being out for very long, in 05 el duque missed a few starts, but nothing big, in 04 it was buerhle esty/jose, garland, schoenweiss and the black hole that was the 5th starter, which was up for grabs because of performance, not injury....shoney missed some time but thats about it...even in 03 everyone was healthy

you have to go back to todd ritchie in 2002 and david wells in 2001 when this team had a serious injury to one of its starters....thats remarkable, and i can say with good certainty that i seriously doubt another team in the majors has had that kind of health in their rotation over the same period......not sure if thats luck, but when you look at the fact that alot of the guys the sox have cut bait with, mccarthy, garcia, colon etc. went on to have arm troubles, herm schneider, KW and the rest of the organization really deserve alot of credit for keeping/recognizing the health of our starters

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
i really liked it at the time of the trade because i thought danks would be just as good as mccarthy, was left handed, and younger, plus KW brain washed us into thinking masset was an impact arm....when i found out masset stinks, i liked the trade less, but the fact that mccarthy has arm problems makes me like the trade alot again....

im not sure if its luck or if the sox (in this aspect) are smarter than other teams, but this team should be commended at their ability to keep their starters healthy....when was the last time we had a starter miss more than a start or two to the DL? i mean last year jose missed a few starts, but for the majority of the year it was buerhle vazquez garland contreras and danks....year before that i dont remember anyone being out for very long, in 05 el duque missed a few starts, but nothing big, in 04 it was buerhle esty/jose, garland, schoenweiss and the black hole that was the 5th starter, which was up for grabs because of performance, not injury....shoney missed some time but thats about it...even in 03 everyone was healthy

you have to go back to todd ritchie in 2002 and david wells in 2001 when this team had a serious injury to one of its starters....thats remarkable, and i can say with good certainty that i seriously doubt another team in the majors has had that kind of health in their rotation over the same period......not sure if thats luck, but when you look at the fact that alot of the guys the sox have cut bait with, mccarthy, garcia, colon etc. went on to have arm troubles, herm schneider, KW and the rest of the organization really deserve alot of credit for keeping/recognizing the health of our starters

I'm biased as to why they stay healthy but the Sox truly value the opinions of their athletic trainers and work with them extensively in all aspects of training and prevention. They also have an outstanding athletic trainer in Herm Schneider. Again, I'm biased towards the athletic trainers but they continue to get good results.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm biased as to why they stay healthy but the Sox truly value the opinions of their athletic trainers and work with them extensively in all aspects of training and prevention. They also have an outstanding athletic trainer in Herm Schneider. Again, I'm biased towards the athletic trainers but they continue to get good results.

yeah it very well could be the trainers...i know the guys over at baseball prospectus think herm schneider is the best trainer in the league. they definitely do something right, along with a little bit of luck probably... because we have been unbelievably healthy over the years

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
yeah it very well could be the trainers...i know the guys over at baseball prospectus think herm schneider is the best trainer in the league. they definitely do something right, along with a little bit of luck probably... because we have been unbelievably healthy over the years

With the notable exception of the best hitter in White Sox history and one with the worst luck, unfortunately.

Pods and Erstad don't count.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)

Herm's awesome. A heck of a nice guy as well.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Is anyone gonna post who was against this trade at the onset? I remember it being pretty darn unpopular here. I knew little about Danks at the onset, but I remember being a little tired of Brandon's seeming lack of moxie.

I was very against it, even saying that I thought BMac was going to be much better than Javy last season. As has been said, get back to me in 5 years but I really hope I'm wrong on the deal, hopefully Danks and Masset continue to pitch well.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
I was very against it, even saying that I thought BMac was going to be much better than Javy last season. As has been said, get back to me in 5 years but I really hope I'm wrong on the deal, hopefully Danks and Masset continue to pitch well.

BMac better than Javy, you crazy son, and I told you so