#42 ~ Should the whole team wear it Tuesday?

Texsox

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should all players on the Sox wear #42

• Yes, you can't honor the man enough
    • No, too many cheapens it
    • Nobody should. Cheap publicity stunt
    • I just like to vote
    • I like it just the way it is

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=mlb

NEW YORK -- By proclamation of the Commissioner, for the second consecutive year as Major League Baseball celebrates the anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking its color barrier, any big league player can wear the late Hall of Famer's famous No. 42 in action that day. "All players have the option. It's entirely up to them," Commissioner Bud Selig told MLB.com on Monday. "Candidly, I hope they all do it."

Full squads, such as the Dodgers, Pirates, Cardinals, Astros and Brewers pledged their allegiance to Robinson as the 25 players on each team wore No. 42. Dodger Stadium was the scene of the central ceremony for last year's 60th anniversary.

Ken Griffy is still the man for coming up with this idea. A classy move by one of baseball's classy guys.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many cheapens it. I thought when Griffey announced that was perhaps the best way to honor the man. Then when a guy like Dye said he would too, again, that was solid. Then B***s which seemed a little b.s. with all the steroid controversy. I'd have liked to see it limited to one player in each league with some selection criteria, if that was too few, then one guy from each team.

the more people that wear it, the more likely some kid will ask his dad why everyone is wearing 42, and he will learn and hopefully read about it, not that he probably doesnt know about it anyways...but i think the more people that wear it, the greater the awareness, the better...

if only 1 or two people wear it, it can go unnoticed real easily to those not paying attention to it

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Where is the option for the current scenario - let the players do it if they want to? That's what I'd vote for.

It's just one game and it's probably the most important happening in major league baseball history. While they should be allowed to decide for themselves, they should be STRONGLY persuaded to wear it. And by strongly, I mean the teams, not MLB, should fine them if they don't. Even if it's kangaroo court.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
the more people that wear it, the more likely some kid will ask his dad why everyone is wearing 42, and he will learn and hopefully read about it, not that he probably doesnt know about it anyways...but i think the more people that wear it, the greater the awareness, the better...

if only 1 or two people wear it, it can go unnoticed real easily to those not paying attention to it

That is a great point. I had not considered that, I have to rethink my position.

I think too many cheapens it. One or two representatives per team would be better IMO, and an arm patch for everyone.

(Also: I accidentally voted for the third one, but meant to vote for the 2nd)

Edited by Felix

I think its a cheap publicity stunt. But if each league or team, were to give out an award that would somehow encompass what the whole Jackie Robinson story deals with, and part of that award includes that player getting to wear #42, then I think it becomes a great honor to the man and the cause. But I think everybody wearing it is cheap and thus has become a publicity stunt.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
All players should wear #42 that day, and the players that don't want to honor Jackie Robinson in that way can pretend that they are honoring Douglas Adams.

haha or Mo Vaughan's #42

I don't mind if everyone wears it. I don't think it should be mandatory to players for wear it but if they want to it's ok. People like Torii Hunter last year pissed me off when he was mad that white guys or a lot of guys were wearing it because they didn't understand what he went through. I don't think Hunter went through what Robinson went through so I didn't understand where he was coming from. It's ok for everyone to wear the number for a day. I think it's a great honor for Robinson, and his number is already retired by every major league team, which is one of the greatest honors anyone can have.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
At a certain point, the distinction between honoring Jackie Robinson and ritualism starts to fade. It was nice the first time, but I would hate for it to be overdone to a point where point forget the genuine importance of Jackie.

True...for fans like us. But for kids who are coming up with the game, they will be curious. And those are the peole we should be thinking of....

I believe that children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
True...for fans like us. But for kids who are coming up with the game, they will be curious. And those are the peole we should be thinking of....

If those kids watch baseball on television, they'll hear plenty about Jackie Robinson. I'm all for players wearing a patch that day and/or teams honoring him before the game, but asking everybody to wear #42 is a bit silly, IMO.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)

I believe that children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Mistah RANDY WATSON and Sexual Chocolate everyone!

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)

Tremendous point. Plus, I honestly think is there really such thing as too many good gestures? This is being done out of honor and respect for a person who not only had an impact on the face of baseball but an impact on our entire country.

I think its stupid and based on the past, which shouldn't be celebrated for being ignorant. Instead some races, sexual preferences, and other minorities use crap like this as a crutch. They want to be recognized as different and forever will be until they get a notion to change. I'd prefer them to just recognize JR as one of baseball's greats not the first one of the colored guys to cross over. That's my two cents.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 03:01 AM)
I think its stupid and based on the past, which shouldn't be celebrated for being ignorant. Instead some races, sexual preferences, and other minorities use crap like this as a crutch. They want to be recognized as different and forever will be until they get a notion to change. I'd prefer them to just recognize JR as one of baseball's greats not the first one of the colored guys to cross over. That's my two cents.

For a second I thought this was my Grandma posting. I guess it was the reference to "the colored guys" that mislead me. ;)

But I do disagree with this position. Nobody is celebrating past ignorance by recognizing Robinson's contribution and what he had to endure prfessionally and privately as the first black player on the majors. Quite the opposite, we are celebrating a ray of hope cutting through a cloud of national ignorance.

I'm not taking away from Jackie Robinson's purely athletic career accomplishments by noting the fact that what he endured and what he helped bring about is far and away the more difficult, lasting and important accomplishment. Cooperstown is chock-full of amazing ballplayers, but only one did what Jackie Robinson did.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
All players should wear #42 that day, and the players that don't want to honor Jackie Robinson in that way can pretend that they are honoring Douglas Adams.

You mean its not Ron Kittle day?

Anyways, I really like the idea of everyone doing it, but at very least I would like to see the minority players do it. His entrance into MLB means EVERYTHING to them. I'd like to see them do it, not because they HAVE to, but because they WANT to.