2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

ChiSport: Sweeping Changes

By Mario Scalise

ChiSPort.com

If the Cubs are in a dogfight for the NL Central down the stretch and lose out to the Brewers … the White Sox may deserve some credit/fault. The Cleveland Indians on June 30 were going to start a key 6-game stretch in determining if they would be sellers or not come the July trade season, as they had back-to-back series’ against the first place Sox and second place Twins.

Going on a run would put them closer to .500 and give them hope in the AL Central. Losing would make trading soon-to-be free agent CC Sabathia something to think about. The Twins and Sox smashed any hope, as both swept the team that was one of two pre-season favorites to take the central (ironically, the Sox and Twins were no where to be found during these discussions). So with the Indians season now close to done (14 games out and in last place), they’ve gone ahead and have reportedly shipped this trade season’s biggest catch to the Brewers, who are just 3.5 games behind the Cubs in the NL Central.

It sucks for the Cubs, but they are still the team to beat in the Central, and seeing how poor the rest of the NL is, the Wild Card will be a nice fallback. Still, it’s never a good thing when an arm like Sabathia joins your division. Last year’s AL Cy Young has been up and down through his career, but he’s spent more time up, racking up quality innings since his rookie year. After a 240-inning ‘07 season, he could slow down come August/September, but that’s not a given, which means the Cubs could have their hands full with a Brewers team that now has a rotation that is equal to, if not better than, the Cubs. Granted Ben Sheets hasn’t hit the DL yet (it’s sure to happen), but with Sabathia now on board, an injury to Sheets wouldn’t hurt as much.

As for the Sox and the rest of the AL Central … the fewer the contenders, the easier it is to contend. With the Indians pretty much out, and the Tigers seven games out, the division looks a whole lot more winnable.

For those of you that hate the Cubs, the Sox success could really have had a significant impact on the NL Central race.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B&B are reporting that Harden MIGHT be headed to the Cubs. Nothing is confirmed, but Lou did not go to his press conference, from the sound of things, and supposedly Harden is the reason.

AL is losing pitchers fast.

Edited by G&T

It's done. Harden and Gaudin to the Cubs for Gallagher, Murton, Patterson, and at least one minor leaguer. And maybe somebody else. It sounds like a bad deal by Oakland to me, but then again Billy Beane is smarter than I am.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 02:39 AM)
How the ef the Milwaukee end up 5 games back so quickly? Weren't they just in second and only 2 games back? The Cubs, Cards and Brewers are all 6-4 in the last 10 games.

The Cards got within 2 games, I don't think the Brewers got within 3.5 recently.

Lilly lasted 2.2 innings wonder if he is hurt. Score is 4-3 with 2 outs and the bottom of the Red order up. I thought they would let him try and work out of it as he si only at 63 pitches.

Wuertz came in walked Ross and got the pitcher out. I thought Lilly could do that.

I wonder if Ted and Lou will be fighting later.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
The difference between the cubs and the Sox is that the cubs beat the piss out of s*** pitchers and are shut down by good pitching.

We've also had problems from average, mediocre, and just plain bad pitchers too. If I was able to throw 70 mph with my left hand and get it within a few inches of the strike zone, and then either throw a curveball or a 60 mph changeup, I could 2-hit the Sox.

But yeah it does help the Cubs a whole lot that they get to face garbage ass NL pitching.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
Dunn just took the ball to the street. 10-5

I think Cubbies might be in for a home loss!

Why would you even post this? They ALWAYS come back at home. JINX!

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Fukodome 0-5 with 3 k's

Other than OBP Alexi Ramirez is a better player in just about every facet of the game.

Reds with 7 homeruns today.

The book is out on Fuk right now, now you have to see if he adjusts.