2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
Didnt Harry Carey actually start with the Cardinals? Regardless it is funny that the 3rd team that started doing it is the one who treasures it the most.

He started with the Cardinals, and was with the A's as well I think, but all of the 7th inning stretch stuff originated with the Sox when he snuck a mic into the booth so the crowd could hear him singing the 7th inning stretch at Old Comiskey. They loved it, and Harry was a man of the people, add in Nancy Faust on the organ, and of course the rest is history.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if any of you guys noticed, but on TV, in the 7th inning right before Quentin's homer, they had a shot of Kerry Wood flicking somebody off with both of his hands. Here's a picture.

2zic1e9.jpg

Lol...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
I don't know if any of you guys noticed, but on TV, in the 7th inning right before Quentin's homer, they had a shot of Kerry Wood flicking somebody off with both of his hands. Here's a picture.

2zic1e9.jpg

Lol...

*BAMF*!

We noticed

;)

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
The best part of that is the comment that the Sox have no traditions, which is cute. First of all, the W flag and "Go Cubs Go" are very recent "traditions" which were just made up by Cubs Marketing within the last decade for the sake of making money (W flag merchandise) and getting attention. To call either of those traditions is really dumb. But getting back to us, we (well, Nancy Faust) started the "na na na na, hey, goodbye" song being played at sporting events. You now hear that song being played/sung at games all over the world. Second of all, we also invented the concept of fireworks at the game/after home runs, another thing you see at stadiums all over the place. Oh, and hey, what about the singing the 7th inning stretch thing? They do know Harry Carey started that at Comiskey Park and not Wrigley Field, right? That's right, the tradition that defines their ballpark as much as the ivy, drunks, and losing, was originated by the terrible White Sox. But I guess other than three very significant traditions that you see being copied all over the place, we have none of our own. Right.

I dont understand why unintelligent cubs fans like to continue to bring up an incident where two CUBS fans got wasted at Wrigley field during the day and then went to a Sox game at night and jumped on the field for no reason. Are they trying to criticize our security? Or just make themselves look idiotic.

Of course the Cubs started every baseball tradition, I mean they have been been showing up to their games for what? 15 years now? Most of those people who say those things are kids who just recently got into the team, most likely in 2003 and feel great mouthing off about it on their crappy little message board.

This is coming from a fan of a team that blares the "Go Cubs Go" song and raises the "W" flag after every win at home?

They're really lost as they're taking an unconfirmed, third party source, and they are blaming the entire Sox organization.

I'm betting the distant source is talking about this

499d32949c15b191213edb0043436c0b-getty-80312793cc050_chicago_cubs_.jpg

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
The Cubs have now lost 5 of 6.

I'm pretty sure the Cubs last 12 games were against AL teams over .500, 6 at home 6 on the road and they went 4-8 (Swept by the Rays, Swept the Sox, lost 2 out of 3 to the O's and swept by the Sox)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
I'm pretty sure the Cubs last 12 games were against AL teams over .500, 6 at home 6 on the road and they went 4-8 (Swept by the Rays, Swept the Sox, lost 2 out of 3 to the O's and swept by the Sox)

Yeah, the NL is just awful. Even the team with the best record in the NL (the Cubs), who avoided the Yankees and Red Sox, were mediocre in interleague. Might be an AL sweep in the World Series for the 4th time in 5 years come October, with the only exception being the most bizarre team I've ever seen, the 2006 Cardinals. And that's not even getting into the All Star game domination by the AL.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
The best part of that is the comment that the Sox have no traditions, which is cute. First of all, the W flag and "Go Cubs Go" are very recent "traditions" which were just made up by Cubs Marketing within the last decade for the sake of making money (W flag merchandise) and getting attention. To call either of those traditions is really dumb. But getting back to us, we (well, Nancy Faust) started the "na na na na, hey, goodbye" song being played at sporting events. You now hear that song being played/sung at games all over the world. Second of all, we also invented the concept of fireworks at the game/after home runs, another thing you see at stadiums all over the place. Oh, and hey, what about the singing the 7th inning stretch thing? They do know Harry Carey started that at Comiskey Park and not Wrigley Field, right? That's right, the tradition that defines their ballpark as much as the ivy, drunks, and losing, was originated by the terrible White Sox. But I guess other than three very significant traditions that you see being copied all over the place, we have none of our own. Right.

Are you sure about the Cubs flying the "W" and "L" flags being recent? It seems to me that particular tradution has been going on for many, many years. Also, the "we" that is responsible for the fireworks and the Harry Carey thing is Bill Veeck. He's also the responsible for what was once an important marketing ploy, but has since faded away, Ladies Day. Of course, the fact that there are now millions of female baseball fans is a direct lingering result. You can also add players names on the uniforms, Wrigley's ivy and the phrase "Beautiful Wrigley Field" to Veeck's contributions to Chicago baseball.

Regarding the fireworks after the HR's, my father told me a story about the Yankees reaction to that when it first started. Casey Stengel was the Yanks manager at the time and I believe this was his idea. In a game at Old Comiskey, one of the Yanks homered. All the players, coaches and Casey lit sparklers and stepped out of the dugout to supply their own fireworks. Classic Casey.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)
Yeah, the NL is just awful. Even the team with the best record in the NL (the Cubs), who avoided the Yankees and Red Sox, were mediocre in interleague. Might be an AL sweep in the World Series for the 4th time in 5 years come October, with the only exception being the most bizarre team I've ever seen, the 2006 Cardinals. And that's not even getting into the All Star game domination by the AL.

I think, even though they're an up and down team, the Diamondbacks can give anyone fits in a 7 game series because of their pitching. Not counting on it, but they are one team that I think can give an AL team a hell of a fight if it comes down to it. Also, Sabathia can give an NL team a legit shot, I would still favor an AL team, but Sabathia on the Cards, Brewers, Cubs, Phils, etc. could make it more interesting.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
Speaking of the D-backs, am I the only one that's been very underwhelmed by Chris Young's development so far? Still no batting average and no OBP whatsoever to speak of.

That's blasphemy on SoxTalk. Chris Young is the greatest player the White Sox have ever traded!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
That's blasphemy on SoxTalk. Chris Young is the greatest player the White Sox have ever traded!

Yeah no s***. I would love to have a leadoff hitter with a sub .300 OBP as long as he hits 30 home runs!

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
Speaking of the D-backs, am I the only one that's been very underwhelmed by Chris Young's development so far? Still no batting average and no OBP whatsoever to speak of.

Is it possible our scouts and KW actually knew what they were talking about?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Is it possible our scouts and KW actually knew what they were talking about?

haha especially when you consider that dealing young created the log jam that got us CQ

btw if you adjust anderson's number to the NL, and give him a full year of playing time...you can make a good arguement that young and anderson have been roughly identical players this season (though anderson would lose a point or two because hes older and plays in a smaller park, still though...just sayin)

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
If you look at the two trades with the D'backs as one, you have Viscaino, El Duque, Young and Carter for Vasquez and Quentin. Not too shabby.

We picked up a couple million dollars also.