All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 12, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
With the super delegate lead now gone, even with WV coming tomorrow and Clinton expected to rout there, she can only really be relying on Obama falling flat on his face.

Even that will do nothing. Its over.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
Even that will do nothing. Its over.

I wouldn't go that far. Obama could still have a true "Macaca" moment and kill himself. But it would take one heck of a slip up.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Hillary's camp is now saying they're going to win the popular vote. I know that doesn't even matter now, but is that even possible if they don't include MI and FL?

Based on the numbers I have (may not be 100% up-to-date), but they are pretty close....

Minus MI and FL: Obama leads 15,812,947 - 15,000,441 (Obama +812,506)

With MI and FL: Obama leads 16,389,161 - 16,199,736 (Obama +189,425)

With FL ONLY: Obama leads 16,389,161 - 15,871,427 (Obama +517,734)

The following are the remaining primaries: WV, Kentucky, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Montana, SOuth Dakota.

Obama is favored to do well in SD OR, and MT. Clinton needs huge numbers out of WV and Kentucky to get close.

Remember, PR is a caucus and according to her those dont count, but PR is favored for her. Interesting to see how she spins that one.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
Hillary's camp is now saying they're going to win the popular vote. I know that doesn't even matter now, but is that even possible if they don't include MI and FL?

Without FL and MI, there is zero chance. With them both, maybe, if she does better than expected in the remaining contests.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)

Good lord that woman is insane. Then again, I thought the popular vote was the only way we should doing things... ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
Good lord that woman is insane. Then again, I thought the popular vote was the only way we should doing things... ;)

In this case, the problem comes with the caucuses. They just dont track the popular vote. They track elected delegates. So, One delegate might represent 2-15 people, but we have no idea. So, "popular vote" is a misnomer since we dont know the ACTUAL popular vote for a candidate.

If you factor in that a caucus delegate might represent the will of 2-15 people, Obama's "popular vote" lead is HUGE. Way over a million.

Obama picks up two Ohio pledged delegates

Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama picked up two pledged delegates Monday from the official results of the Ohio presidential primary held March 4th.

The Associated Press had withheld the two delegates because of the large number of provisional ballots cast in Ohio on Election Day.

At this point, I think it'd be fair to give Florida their delegates but slice them in half the way the GOP did, so they are still penalized but they still do have a say just with less influence. It was more or less a level playing field there in all honesty since nobody campaigned (tired of hearing about how Obama ran ads there, he ran ads on national stations, it's not like he can just do them in 49 states, plus Hillary went to some authorized fundraisers anyway).

However the MI vote is completely tainted and nothing short of a total re-vote can fix that, and that's not happening. The options were literally "Clinton" and "I don't care who but not Clinton," plus Edwards was still on the ballot. Also I'm getting tired of the Hillary camp talking about how Obama did this and likes it this way.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
At this point, I think it'd be fair to give Florida their delegates but slice them in half the way the GOP did, so they are still penalized but they still do have a say just with less influence. It was more or less a level playing field there in all honesty since nobody campaigned (tired of hearing about how Obama ran ads there, he ran ads on national stations, it's not like he can just do them in 49 states, plus Hillary went to some authorized fundraisers anyway).

However the MI vote is completely tainted and nothing short of a total re-vote can fix that, and that's not happening. The options were literally "Clinton" and "I don't care who but not Clinton," plus Edwards was still on the ballot. Also I'm getting tired of the Hillary camp talking about how Obama did this and likes it this way.

It all wasn't a problem with Hillary when the votes took place, but now in retrospect, it's a problem for her. GTFA.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 10, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
My question is this, did they know he had done this when he was hired? That makes all the difference to me. I can understand uf they never knew.

I wonder when Barack knew about this?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sweet/943467,...Sweet11.article

Obama adviser who met with Hamas resigns

May 11, 2008

Recommend (31)

LYNN SWEET blogs.suntimes.com/sweet

Rob Malley, a Middle East policy adviser to likely Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama, resigned after news surfaced that he had been meeting with Hamas -- something Obama pledged he himself would never do.

Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt said Saturday Malley called the Obama campaign on Friday to sever ties with the candidate after learning the Times of London was publishing a story about his contacts with the terrorist group.

Obama captures lead among Dem superdelegates

Malley is an analyst at the Washington, D.C.-based International Crisis Group, specializing in the Israeli-Arab conflict. He told NBC News that his job "is to meet with all sorts of savory and unsavory people and report on what they say. I've never denied whom I meet with; that's what I do."

LaBolt said, "Sen. Obama strongly opposes talking to Hamas, a terrorist group committed to Israel's destruction. As president, he will work to isolate Hamas and target its resources, and rejects any dialogue until Hamas recognizes Israel, renounces terrorism, and abides by previous agreements."

LaBolt, downplaying Malley's role, said, "Rob Malley has, like hundreds of other experts, provided informal advice to the campaign in the past. He has no formal role in the campaign and he will not play any role in the future."

The issue of whether to have dealings with Hamas is a particularly sensitive matter for Obama, who needs to persuade skeptical Jewish voters that he is a strong supporter of Israel. Last week, presumptive GOP nominee Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) highlighted a Hamas leader's statement that he hoped Obama would win the White House. Asked about McCain's suggestion that Obama is "favored by Hamas," Obama said McCain was "losing his bearings as he pursues this nomination."

Last month, as former President Jimmy Carter was set to meet with Hamas leaders, Obama told a group of Jewish activists and clergy in Philadelphia that he would not sit down with Hamas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Moveon.org has announced and posted the winner of their "Obama in 30 seconds" ad campaign.

File this one under "interesting to note"

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/michael-m-bat...e-sharp-trooper

MoveOn.org sponsored a contest for the best 30-second pro-Barack Obama TV commercial. The winner, according to the Associated Press's article, "MoveOn ad features pro-Obama Republican," was an ad starring Air Force veteran John Weiler. The spot includes Mr. Weiler, whose military service is to be commended, saying "I've been a Republican since before I could actually vote." Not only that: "I'm a lifelong Republican and I'm voting for Barack Obama."

I don't know if Mr. Weiler is a lifelong Republican as he claims. I do know that if the Associated Press is accurate in its reporting, he must have been an extraordinary serviceman.

"He served in the Air Force from 1983 to 1989, leaving the service as a master sergeant," according to the AP. Is that not amazing? The Air Force Enlisted Promotions Fact Sheet shows promotion to Master Sergeant (E-7) requires eight years in the service. According to Military.com, "The average service wide active duty time for advancement to the rank of Master Sergeant is 17.06 years."

I wasn't in the Air Force, and I only made it to E-5, but Mr. Weiler's accomplishment is as astounding as a lifelong Republican abandoning his party for the ultraliberal Obama. Mr. Weiler says part of the reason is "We need somebody who's gonna represent the left and the right."

I would think representing, simultaneously, the left and the right would be impossible, given the differences. But I guess if you can make E-7 in six years, anything is possible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
File this one under "interesting to note"

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/michael-m-bat...e-sharp-trooper

Ultraliberal?

Also, the blogger is using today's requirements to become an E-7. Perhaps the requirements were different in the 80s?

Edited by BigSqwert

Gotta love the ignorant old people...

West Virginia Primary: Good Morning America Meets An Uninformed Voter

JANIS: He's Muslim and that has a lot to do with it. I just, you know, I just would rather have Hillary.

SNOW: Just for the record he constantly says he's a Christian -

JANIS: I know he does.

SNOW: You don't believe him?

JANIS: No.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)

Would have been nice if the reporter didn't hint that Obama might be lying. Reminds me of Hillary's "as far as I know" comment. She/He (Not sure if Snow is a 1st name) could have stated that in fact Obama is a Christian.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 13, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Would have been nice if the reporter didn't hint that Obama might be lying. Reminds me of Hillary's "as far as I know" comment. She/He (Not sure if Snow is a 1st name) could have stated that in fact Obama is a Christian.

I hope the exit pollers do a poll on Obama's religion. I'd be VERY curious to see what the people of WV think.

I'd also like to see a poll on if race is a factor.

Ok tell me, are they not voting for him because he's Muslim or they're not voting for him because of his "radical leftist" black (Christian) pastor? Which is it? Seriously? I know they're not divided into groups. If you know about one you have the capacity to know about the other and I would imagine the number who is only aware of one of those issues is relatively small.

Truth be told, I would actually feel relieved if some people just came out and said they're not voting for him because he's black. I mean, you know they're out there, just nobody is really saying it out loud. At least then we'd see what's real.

And that, my friends, is why Obama will not win in November. It's not even the issues. It's his race, and IMO it's the saddest thing of all.

Now let me add, I think that's why Hillary's hanging around so long. She sees this being the first time a "minority" will be nominated and as such, that "minority" will lose, thus breaking down a barrier.

In addition, Clinton would have had a hard time winning for much the same reason: it's her gender.

The SECOND time someone runs, they will have a much better shot then the first time. And that's the reality of how politics works in this country, again, all IMO.

Note: I also disagree with this, but I think it's reality.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 13, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
And that, my friends, is why Obama will not win in November.

This coming from the person that guaranteed several times that Clinton would be the nominee. :lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 13, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
This coming from the person that guaranteed several times that Clinton would be the nominee. :lolhitting

That's right. But let's look at the reality of this country and how people think.

People don't like change. Barack and Hillary are the biggest change that anyone in this country has ever seen running for president. For all the "CHANGE" talk that BOTH campaigns discuss, it's not the change of IDEAS that people will balk at, it's the CHANGE of the gender/color that people will balk at.

Again, PERSONALLY, I think it's deplorable, but it's America, and why it will be difficult for either Hillary or Obama to win THIS election. Next time, not so much.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 13, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
And that, my friends, is why Obama will not win in November. It's not even the issues. It's his race, and IMO it's the saddest thing of all.

I think it will hurt him in the south, but that is about it. I remember I saw one poll a while back that was for either Kentucky or WV, I dont remember which. It had Cllnton +10 vs McCain, but McCain +20 vs Obama. My jaw hit the floor. But in northern states and out west it wont hurt him. He actually as good support out west in NV, CO, NM and Iowa.