MacDougal optioned to Charlotte

joejoesox

MacDougal hasn't been terrible, but I think it's obvious that he isn't going to return to '03 or even '06 form. We've seen his best and he's really not going to be much more than an innings-eater when we're down in the 6th and 7th.

I'm not sure if Wassermann is BETTER than MacDougal at this point, but he's probably not any worse. So why not let the kid develop in the bigs?

QUOTE (DonnyDevito @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 05:52 AM)
this is outstanding news. i wonder if they can do something similar with Toby Hall.

Toby Hall delivered a single or two in his last game. He must be coming around. :lolhitting I have been really disappoited in his lack of hitting and his failure to throw out runners. But, I think a back up catcher is going to have to come from a trade.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
MacDougal hasn't been terrible, but I think it's obvious that he isn't going to return to '03 or even '06 form. We've seen his best and he's really not going to be much more than an innings-eater when we're down in the 6th and 7th.

I'm not sure if Wassermann is BETTER than MacDougal at this point, but he's probably not any worse. So why not let the kid develop in the bigs?

Reality of it is that the whole sox bullpen has been erratic. We get good games from them followed by a bad game, but the one I worry about the most is Dotel. Jenks has shown my a lot of grit out there though and he has still found a way to get out of the pressure situations. Walks have hurt as well as the bleeders dropping in and infield hits

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
MacDougal HAS been bad. 1.7 WHIP and a 1:1 K:BB ratio. That's just asking for trouble. Ehren has been excellent this year in Charlotte and last year in the majors he had a 1.17 WHIP and a 2:1 K:BB ratio.

People will point to Mac's ERA as well, but he has let a number of inherited runners score as well. Great move.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Walks have hurt as well

Yep, and Mac's 7 BBs in 8.7 IP don't help. Neither does his propensity for the wild pitch.

Agreed about Dotel. I wouldn't be surprised if he were eventually released and Mac were brought back up for mop-up duty.

Wassermann has gone 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA (7.2 IP) and six saves in eight relief appearances with Charlotte this season. He ranks third in the International League in saves and has not allowed a base hit this season (24 batters faced). (0 hits and 3 walks in 7.2 innings = 0.38 WHIP)

MacDougal is 0-0 with a 2.08 ERA (2 ER/8.2 IP) and eight hits allowed in eight relief appearances with the White Sox this season. The right-hander also walked seven and registered seven strikeouts. (Eight hits and 7 walks in 8.2 innings = 1.73 WHIP)

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Agreed about Dotel. I wouldn't be surprised if he were eventually released and Mac were brought back up for mop-up duty.

Not happening.

If they didn't release Sisco, they sure aren't releasing Dotel who makes a HELL of a lot more money.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)

No chance. There are $11 million reasons they won't release him.

Besides, mechanically he is MUCH more sound than Mac. So, the likelihood of Dotel finding his control is much higher. I bet he figures it out pretty soon and becomes a major part of our pen.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
People will point to Mac's ERA as well, but he has let a number of inherited runners score as well. Great move.

Actually Mac has only inherited 1 runner on the year (yesterday) and he did not score so that's not at all accurate.

In his first 6 outings this year MacDougal started the inning in each. On April 22nd he relieved Matt Thornton immediately following Johnny Damon's HR so no one was on base and yesterday he relieved Danks with Millar on 1st. (he promptly allowed a single, a K and a BB to the 3 batters he faced in his first and only real important outing on the year)

There's one obvious reason as to why MacDougal is on his way to Charlotte right now; Ozzie has absolutely no faith in the man. Baseballreference.com has a value called LevI or Leverage Index, quick definition:

"Leverage Index, A value of 1.00 indicates this player appeared in plays of average importance. Above 1.00 indicates they had higher than normal importance (for example, a closer typically has leverage around 1.8). A mopup pitcher, on the other hand, will have a likely LevI of much less than one. This value is not adjusted for league run scoring and park effects."

So far this season MacDougal's outings have rated at: 0.21, 0.03, 0.00, 0.23, 0.90, 0.02, 0.03 and 1.19 (yesterday) so thus far this season Ozzie has used Mac in a grand total of 1 high leverage situation, last night, and he wound up retiring one hitter while putting a couple on base. In his other nearly high leverage situation (0.90 vs OAK) Mac failed to record an out but did allow a single (fell behind 2-0, got back to 2-2 then allowed the hit) and a walk (fell behind 2-0, threw a strike then put him on with 2 more balls).

So yeah Ozzie doesn't trust him --and rightfully so -- so there's no reason at all to have him on the big club.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
No chance. There are $11 million reasons they won't release him.

Yikes, I thought that his contract was worth maybe half of that. In that case, yeah, he's not going anywhere.

Besides, mechanically he is MUCH more sound than Mac. So, the likelihood of Dotel finding his control is much higher. I bet he figures it out pretty soon and becomes a major part of our pen.

Dotel is a shell of the pitcher that he was in Houston. He's been a mediocre reliever since blowing out his elbow a few years ago (WHIP consistently above 1.30), and I'm not convinced that he's going to be any better than MacDougal. He's lost a good 5 mph off of his fastball since Tommy John surgery and I'm not sure that he has enough raw stuff to compensate for it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
:

"So far this season MacDougal's outings have rated at: 0.21, 0.03, 0.00, 0.23, 0.90, 0.02, 0.03 and 1.19 (yesterday) so thus far this season Ozzie has used Mac in a grand total of 1 high leverage situation, last night, and he wound up retiring one hitter while putting a couple on base. In his other nearly high leverage situation (0.90 vs OAK) Mac failed to record an out but did allow a single (fell behind 2-0, got back to 2-2 then allowed the hit) and a walk (fell behind 2-0, threw a strike then put him on with 2 more balls).

So yeah Ozzie doesn't trust him --and rightfully so -- so there's no reason at all to have him on the big club.

I wonder? I believer the Whitesox have found one way sending him down to Charlotte. I question one thing when he pitches he looks like he has no consistent footwork , landing point, and release point. None of these factors have improved since he put on a Sox uniform.. Maybe it is the uniform that is slowing his progress. He might do better with another teams apparel. Maybe somebody would give us something for him.