"The Reaper is a-coming, kids."

Linnwood

We're going to see Jerry Owens. He's going to lead off, he's going to play often. And that might not be a bad thing.

the /Swisher means he subs in on any given day and gets his at bats

CF Owens/Swisher

SS Cabrera

LF Quentin/Swisher

DH Thome/Swisher

1B Konerko/Swisher

RF Dye/Swisher

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

2B the black hole that is Ramirez or Uribe

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do not care for Uribe overall, I must say he is far down the list of reasons this offense sucks. His defense has also been very good at 2nd base so I can live with him until a better alternative comes around.

The same could be said for Ozuna on offense, except he is no longer valuable in any other capacity. I was at a game a few weeks back where he started at 2nd. His defense was atrocious. He had no range and looked lost in the field. Anyone watching him at the plate knows how abyssmal he has been both for average and OBP. He has never had any power and now the one thing he used to provide (speed) seems to be gone as well. That is the definition of a wasted roster spot.

I do not agree with cutting Juan right now, but I would understand such a move. However, Pablo has to go!

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
While I do not care for Uribe overall, I must say he is far down the list of reasons this offense sucks. His defense has also been very good at 2nd base so I can live with him until a better alternative comes around.

There is more to it than the fact he's an absolute hole in the lineup. His mental lapses are something that wont be tolerated. We all have been saying for awhile that it appears Juan doesnt give a s*** when he's at bat, like he doesnt prepare or think things through. That is exactly the attitude that we want out of that clubhouse, and with his mental retardation yesterday, its time he goes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
There is more to it than the fact he's an absolute hole in the lineup. His mental lapses are something that wont be tolerated. We all have been saying for awhile that it appears Juan doesnt give a s*** when he's at bat, like he doesnt prepare or think things through. That is exactly the attitude that we want out of that clubhouse, and with his mental retardation yesterday, its time he goes.

Like I said, while I am not 100% for dumping Uribe, I will understand if it happens. My issue is with Ozuna filling a roster spot. If you only have 4-5 guys to substitute and one has to be a catcher, you hurt yourself by giving one of the remaining spots to someone as useless as Pablo. He sucks as bad, if not worse than Uribe.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 6, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Like I said, while I am not 100% for dumping Uribe, I will understand if it happens. My issue is with Ozuna filling a roster spot. If you only have 4-5 guys to substitute and one has to be a catcher, you hurt yourself by giving one of the remaining spots to someone as useless as Pablo. He sucks as bad, if not worse than Uribe.

Its clear Pablo isnt the player he was at one point and he's on the wrong side of 30. I would also rather have a younger guy fill that role, and had mentioned it during ST.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Its clear Pablo isnt the player he was at one point and he's on the wrong side of 30. I would also rather have a younger guy fill that role, and had mentioned it during ST.

Agreed. Pablo was a decent bench player at point. I think his time has passed.

QUOTE (The Beast @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
Why in the hell should Owens get playing time over Swisher?

Brian Anderson is the best outfielder in the organization and is/was hitting the ball and getting on base. If Swisher is not leading off, Anderson should get playing time. If Owens comes up and gets playing time over Swisher and Anderson I will begin to tune out the White Sox. Jerry Owens offense is not going to spark this team and his defense is sub-par.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
Agreed. Pablo was a decent bench player at point. I think his time has passed.

Unfortunately, I agree. He's been one of my favorites, but I don't see what he brings to the table at this point.

Award bonuses in Uribe's contract... just found this interesting

Award bonuses: $100,000 each for MVP, WS MVP; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $50,000 for TSN All Star; $25,000 for Gold Glove, All Star; $15,000 each for Silver Slugger, All Star selection.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005_01_2...ts_archive.html

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Award bonuses in Uribe's contract... just found this interesting

Award bonuses: $100,000 each for MVP, WS MVP; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $50,000 for TSN All Star; $25,000 for Gold Glove, All Star; $15,000 each for Silver Slugger, All Star selection.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005_01_2...ts_archive.html

Lots of unrealized bonuses in there

My predictions:

1) Crede traded...the "migraine" was a way to fly under the radar and Josh Fields called up to play 3B

2) Uribe released...Alexei Ramirez now full time 2B

3) Owens called up to play CF and bat lead off..Swisher moved down in the order and filling in for RF/LF/1B/CF as needed to play every day.

New line-up:

CF Owens

SS Cabrera

DH Thome

1B Konerko/ Swisher (Dye bats 4th and Swisher 5th when subbing for PK)

RF Dye/Swisher

LF Quentin/Swisher

C AJP

3B Fields

2B Ramirez

4) And if Ozuna continues to struggle, then Bourgeios will be up in no time.

My predictions:

1) Crede traded...the "migraine" was a way to fly under the radar and Josh Fields called up to play 3B

While I wouldn't mind trading Crede, I would be shocked if he is moved. You almost never see trades this time of year. If this team continues to tank, Crede will be moved, but not until June/July.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ May 6, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (heirdog @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)

My predictions:

While I wouldn't mind trading Crede, I would be shocked if he is moved. You almost never see trades this time of year. If this team continues to tank, Crede will be moved, but not until June/July.

However, KW has pulled off a few trades at this time of year, so it wouldnt surprise me at all

Come on reaper, lets see what you've got

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kane0730 @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)

Agreed. He won't be dealt with the Sox two games out in early May and pitching like champs.

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
My predictions:

2) Uribe released...Alexei Ramirez now full time 2B

3) Owens called up to play CF and bat lead off..Swisher moved down in the order and filling in for RF/LF/1B/CF as needed to play every day.

New line-up:

CF Owens

SS Cabrera

DH Thome

1B Konerko/ Swisher (Dye bats 4th and Swisher 5th when subbing for PK)

RF Dye/Swisher

LF Quentin/Swisher

C AJP

3B Fields

2B Ramirez

4) And if Ozuna continues to struggle, then Bourgeios will be up in no time.

The problem is...I think every one of those things you suggest is a possibility...and every single one of them winds up giving the a spot of someone on the current team to someone who is performing worse than the current person. Owens isn't lighting the world on fire down at AAA yet he knocks Anderson out of the rotation. Swisher isn't performing, yet he takes time away from Konerko/Dye/Thome, with BA the odd man out again. Fields isn't lighting the world on fire at AAA, but he replaces Crede. Ramirez has looked terrible yet he replaces Uribe. Ozuna has looked bad, but Bourgeois is hitting around .220 at AAA.

The problem is...I think every one of those things you suggest is a possibility...and every single one of them winds up giving the a spot of someone on the current team to someone who is performing worse than the current person. Owens isn't lighting the world on fire down at AAA yet he knocks Anderson out of the rotation. Swisher isn't performing, yet he takes time away from Konerko/Dye/Thome, with BA the odd man out again. Fields isn't lighting the world on fire at AAA, but he replaces Crede. Ramirez has looked terrible yet he replaces Uribe. Ozuna has looked bad, but Bourgeois is hitting around .220 at AAA.

Fully Agree.

None of these proposed moves will matter as long as Greg Walker is the hitting coach. I'm sure he's a hard worker. I'm sure he's a nice guy.

But he is a lousy hitting coach. We trade for guys and they lose their ability to hit. We trade guys away, and they become better hitters on their new teams. Don Cooper has made pitchers better. Greg Walker makes hitters worse.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...aspx?id=4148486

White Sox reinstate Cuban Ramirez from restricted list

Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - The Chicago White Sox reinstated utilityman Alexei Ramirez from the restricted list Tuesday, allowing the Cuban defector to return to the club after skipping a weekend series in Toronto.

The 26-year-old, a former member of Cuba's national team, would likely have had visa problems traveling between Canada and the United States. He stayed in Chicago during the club's four-game set in Toronto.

In 14 games this season, Ramirez is batting .121 with a pair of runs batted in.

To clear the roster spot for Ramirez the White Sox optioned pitcher Adam Russell to Triple-A Charlotte after Monday night's 1-0 loss. Russell had been recalled for the series as an extra arm in the bullpen for the White Sox, but did not pitch as Chicago was swept by the Blue Jays, extending its losing streak to six games.

Russell, a 25-year-old right-hander, was 1-0 with a 3.27 earned run average in nine relief appearances for Charlotte.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)
It is probably time to part ways with Walker. The offense has been bad and wasting good outings by the pitching staff. This is two years in a row where we slumped out of the gate offensively and pretty poorly. We need a new approach, fresh blood to come in to reassess things.

As far as roster moves, there is no one in AAA that is going to make enough impact to warrant cutting someone lose. If there is a move made I hope that it is a trade of some type to bring in a everyday 2B that can lead off.

yeah, the players are obviously not to be held accountable for their poor performance. lol @ blaming the hitting coach for guys that are slumping, that've been in the league for 10+ years

i don't care who your hitting coach is, it's the players that have to translate that coaching to the field, and these guys aren't doing it, their poor performance right now is obviously mental as they're pressing too much *because* of the slump, it's most likely making it worse. it has nothing to do with Greg Walker, ffs.

Edited by joesaiditstrue