Can we finally play well on the west coast?

gosox41

Outside of 2005, it seems like the Sox play awful on the west coast, especially on the first extended trip out there. I'm not sure why they play so lousy but it is so frustrating.

I believe the west coast trip problems started back when Manuel was manager and he brough in Todd Rizzo to face the Angels (I think it was the Angels). The Sox would up blowing a decent sized lead, Rizzo was mentally shot, and I remember Manuel asking Rizzo if he could breathe.

Ever since it's been one thing after another. Can this year be any different? It would be nice to break the losing trned of bad west coast play as well as the crapbal we've watched the last weeks.

We need a nice 8-2 run in this trip, but I'm betting we go 3-7. I wish I had time to look up old box scores but it seems like every year the bullpen blows 2-3 games on the trip and this is also seeems to be the trip where the SP's start to come down to earth a bit.

Here's hoping the Sox get it going for once on this trip and fall into the usual sucky losing baseball we've experience oh so much out there.

Bob

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ May 8, 2008 -> 10:48 PM)
We don't play at the House of Horrors in Oakland yet so we I think have a shot at going 6-4 or better over this nine game road trip. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

6-3 is very reasonable.

We face the Mariners weaker half of the rotation.

Angels will be the toughest challenge, if were hitting by then we could win the series.

Giants, well they are just terrible, can't hit, their pitching is only worry since we haven't faced many of those guys.

We need a nice 8-2 run in this trip, but I'm betting we go 3-7. I wish I had time to look up old box scores but it seems like every year the bullpen blows 2-3 games on the trip and this is also seeems to be the trip where the SP's start to come down to earth a bit.

This trip is scary because suddenly it's a must we get our act together after that last trip.

Best case scenario in my mind with the team's confidence shaken after the last trip is 2 of 3 versus Seattle and SF and 1-3 versus the Angels. That would be 5-5. I'd take that now.

I fear 1-2 vs. SF and Seattle and 0-4 vs. the Angels who are good enough to sweep us and that's be a horrific 2-8.

If I had to guess, I'd say 4-6.

Im guessing we will win 2 of 3 in Seattle.

Win 1 of 4 in Anahiem, yea there damn good.

And 3 of 3 in San Fran. They are horrible, outside of Rowand and their young pitching staff (outside of Zito).

So im predicting a 6-4 road trip which is very reasonable being what just happend when the team went North. (0-6)

It's weird to see that interleague play is starting so soon. I'll be in Dallas next weekend and my buddy and I are taking the trip to see the Rangers play the Astros in Arlington.

Long story short, I suggested going to a game and checked to see who they were playing and couldn't believe it was interleague already.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ May 9, 2008 -> 04:46 AM)
Outside of 2005, it seems like the Sox play awful on the west coast, especially on the first extended trip out there. I'm not sure why they play so lousy but it is so frustrating.

I believe the west coast trip problems started back when Manuel was manager and he brough in Todd Rizzo to face the Angels (I think it was the Angels). The Sox would up blowing a decent sized lead, Rizzo was mentally shot, and I remember Manuel asking Rizzo if he could breathe.

Ever since it's been one thing after another. Can this year be any different? It would be nice to break the losing trned of bad west coast play as well as the crapbal we've watched the last weeks.

Here's hoping the Sox get it going for once on this trip and fall into the usual sucky losing baseball we've experience oh so much out there.

Bob

Agreed!

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ May 8, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
6-3 is very reasonable.

We face the Mariners weaker half of the rotation.

Angels will be the toughest challenge, if were hitting by then we could win the series.

Giants, well they are just terrible, can't hit, their pitching is only worry since we haven't faced many of those guys.

Are you predicting a rain out?

QUOTE (kane0730 @ May 9, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
It looks like we will be missing every teams best starters:

Hernandez

Bedard

Santana

Lackey (DL)

Lincecum

I'd be very happy with a 6-4 trip. Especially how the last one just went.

Right now the Angels are planning on throwing Lackey on Wednesday against us if he doesn't have any setbacks.

Per YahooSports:

May 8 RHP John Lackey (strained triceps) is scheduled to make his fourth and final rehab start Friday at the Angels' extended spring training camp in Arizona. The plan is for Lackey to stretch out to approximately 80 pitches, then make his season debut in the Angels' rotation Wednesday against the Chicago White Sox. That start could move back a day or two based on how Lackey comes out of Friday's workout, Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Edited by chimpy2121

I have the chance to watch a couple games of the Seattle series. WGN has the game on Saturday night and Sunday it's on FOXRocky Mountain, which carries Seattle games in my area. I hate the Seattle announcers though

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 9, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Right now the Angels are planning on throwing Lackey on Wednesday against us if he doesn't have any setbacks.

Per YahooSports:

That's fine, the first start back he shouldn't be good for more than 5 innings and maybe we can rough him up.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
I have the chance to watch a couple games of the Seattle series. WGN has the game on Saturday night and Sunday it's on FOXRocky Mountain, which carries Seattle games in my area. I hate the Seattle announcers though

There are actually times when I prefer the other team's homer announcers over Hawk and DJ. Individually, they both have redeeming qualities about them, especially Hawk. But together, they are probably the worst duo in all of baseball.

If the bats produce it will be a 7-3 trip. If they do not it will 2-8. I think the pitching can have success against these teams and should keep them in the game.

My guess 4-6.

Steve Stone said that this trip will determine if the White Sox are going to be in it for the season or if they are just hanging around.

Open the paper on May 19th and you will know all you need to know about your 2008 Chicago White Sox.

Steve Stone said that this trip will determine if the White Sox are going to be in it for the season or if they are just hanging around.

I sort of agree with Stoney but I think 5-5 really wouldn't prove anything.

2-8 or 3-7 I think we're done.

I think they will hit better this series. When they move to a pitchers park they start to hit better because the home run is not on the attack plan. They actually try to hit the ball, instead of crush it. Our pitching has been pretty damn good, so it should play well over the next 3 series.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
I sort of agree with Stoney but I think 5-5 really wouldn't prove anything.

2-8 or 3-7 I think we're done.

After seeing what teams like Cleveland and Houston did in 2005 and what other teams have continued to do since then, Even if we're 5 games below .500 at the end of this stretch, it's not over...it just takes a major turnaround (Note, both Houston and Cleveland changed a coach to do their turnaround IIRC, a manager and a hitting coach).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 9, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Balta, you coming out to any of the games in Anaheim?

No, but I am finally going to get to a game at Chavez Ravine this year. Got a couple tix for game 3 of the Sox @ Dodgers. Sort of figured if I was here for 2 more years (now that I have paid for the wedding and car and can actually afford baseball tickets) that I could see the Sox @ Angels stadium any year, but this is probably my last chance for Sox@Dodgers for 6 years or so since the last 2 interleague series between the 2 teams have been in LA

Ya, I was surprised that they were playing at Dodger stadium again this year. I still got to get off my ass and pick up some tix to one or two of the games in LA cause I'm sure my dad will be antsy to see his Dodgers try and beat my Sox.

Oh, just a note, but in the world series season the Dodgers played the Sox in Chicago (one of the games, the Sox came back on Brazoban in the 9th with the Sox winning in walk-off fashion with an AJP double).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 9, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Oh, just a note, but in the world series season the Dodgers played the Sox in Chicago (one of the games, the Sox came back on Brazoban in the 9th with the Sox winning in walk-off fashion with an AJP double).

That was a great series, I remember it well. Garcia shut them down in the first game the Sox won like 6-0. The Brazoban game was great, down 2 in the ninth, Rowand ended up tying the game with a basehit back through the box then AJ ended it with a walkoff bomb to left center. I believe Rowand had the go ahead hit in the eight inning of the 3rd game as well.

pierzynskiajam7.jpg

Ya, that was an awesome series. I was sitting behind home when AJ had the hit and I remember early in the game telling my two friends at the game with me how Brazoban was going to blow the game and the Sox would win (this was in like the 4th or 5th inning).