Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
What is the logic behind that one for Charlotte?

They want Roy Hibbert.

Larry Brown just HAS to have a big defensive center.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 07:04 PM)
Now the Pacers just need to dump Tinsley.

But O'Neal will actually rebound and play defense unlike Bargnani who'll only jack up 3's.

Good trade for both teams.

I was sold the Pacers would end up taking Augustin until this trade.

I don't see why they would need him now with Ford and Tinsley around unless of course they do move Tinsley.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)

I don't see why they would need him now with Ford and Tinsley around unless of course they do move Tinsley.

Neither Ford/Tinsley are answers to the PG hole for Indy. The Pacers still need and will draft a PG.

This trade was all about addition by subtraction, IMO. And Tinsley's not long for the team anymore, and if he is still on the team, he'll hardly be seen.

Portland's trying to move up to #10 to get D.J Augustin though, and that's who the Pacers want at #11.

My guess is, that will happen, and the Pacers will select a forward at #11 in Anthony Randolph and then select the best big on the board at #17.

Unless they want Mario Chalmers.

This is the official draft thread for tonight.

I would actually love to go, and there are tickets being sold at MSG at 11, but unfortunately I can't get out of work at that time.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
I keep reading all this stuff on the Heat and Mayo, with some people saying Riley is dead set against taking Beasley, and I just keep thinking, Well, maybe this will be fun, after all.

I love how people keep saying Riley doesn't want Beasley beacause of his character. Uh, guys, have you looked at the man he's rumored to take over him? That's clearly not it...

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 08:28 AM)
I keep reading all this stuff on the Heat and Mayo, with some people saying Riley is dead set against taking Beasley, and I just keep thinking, Well, maybe this will be fun, after all.

Yeah its sort of confusing because Beasley seems like the perfect fit for the Heat.They will regret passing on him if they do.Just because Riley doesnt like his personality?The only way I would pass on him is if he had a criminal history and a criminal he is not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
Anyone really think this is all a ploy by the Heat to try to get someone to overpay for the #2 pick and they will end up taking Beasley if they can't trade the pick?

Maybe, but the rumored deals just don't look very lopsided.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
chad ford said a 3 different GMs have called him saying they keep hearing that the bulls are gonna trade for dwayne wade...take that FWIW

Also, Sam Smith mentions that the Bulls have been trying to acquire the #2. "Miami is said to be uncertain about Beasley, and several teams are trying to trade up into the No. 2 spot, while the Bulls have been unsuccessful in their talks to acquire the No 2. pick from the Heat." This from his mock:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=427359

You know this'll just end up a boring night with Rose #1, Beasley #2, Mayo #3, etc etc etc. :P

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)

They will try to move Tinsley and if the Clippers aren't able to land a PG I could see them taking a shot on Tinsley. That said, Ford is the guy the Pacers will be banking on at the PG spot and they aren't about to take a PG this season (at least not with there first pick in the draft).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
Anyone know what it would take to make a Wade & #2 pick for #1 pick and [insert players here] work under the salary cap?

Wade makes about $14 mil, so money isn't a terribly big issue. Hinrich or Hughes make up the bulk of it, and Nocioni or Gooden can take up a pretty big chunk as well. The bigger issue is talent, I have a hard time seeming them do it with out getting at least 2 more key pieces besides #1.

I'll have you know I wrote a very long post, and then I got logged out (squeezing my stress ball at work crazy right now), but here we go again.

Pretty much what I was going to say, this draft could be crazy tonight, there are so many different trade possibilities. I'll go through some various scenarios below;

1 - Maybe Miami doesn't want Beasley because they are going to target Brand, and they don't think that Brand - Haslem - Beasley can all co-exist.

2 - Miami may just really want Mayo instead because he'll fit a need. They could trade down with Memphis. #2 and Blount for #5, Miller and Lowry should get a deal done. But they'd need Minny to pass on him at #3 (doubtful) and who knows what Seattle will do at #4 (my guess is they'd take Mayo and move Durant to SF).

3 - Miami could try trading the #2 and Marion for the #7 and Brand possibly.

4 - The Knicks are heavily targeting Mayo still, and may want to trade up with either Memphis or Minny to get him. They're offering David Lee (would love him in Orlando) and Malik Rose IIRC, to try and move up.

5 - Jerryd Bayless if he isn't taken by Seattle, could slide a little. And he could be the best value pick in the draft in the top 10 IMHO.

6 - Seattle may take Westbrook at #4, and that's probably a little too high for him. They should go for Lopez or Bayless there IMHO.

7 - As for Lopez himself, he could go anywhere from #3 to Minny or slide all the way down to #9 at Charlotte.

8 - Charlotte at #9 may actually take Augustine, apparently Larry Brown isn't a huge fan of Raymond Felton's game (but Augustine's a pretty similar player, so I don't why that is).

9 - Milwaulkee seem set on taking Joe Alexander at #8. Hit it off with Skiles apparently. What they're going to do with 3 SF/PF's in Alexander, Jianlian and Villenueva though I don't know. My guess is Charlie's on the way out for a defensive PG/SG.

10 - Clippers seem set on Eric Gordon at #7, but they'll need to find a PG in FA. Don't think Livingstone will ever be a good PG in this league again unfortunately.

11 - As for Orlando, I'd love Brandon Rush to slide to 22, but my guess is he'll go in the teens, maybe to Cleveland. Probably Courtney Lee or Chris Douglas Roberts for our pick.

So my last lottery mock;

1 - Bulls - Rose. They'll take the PG and local.

2 - Grizzlies - Beasley. They do the trade with Miami giving up Miller and Lowry and take Beasley.

3 - Heat - Mayo. They pull of a trade with Minny by giving up a future protected 1st to move up 2 spots to take their guy in Mayo. A lineup of Wade - Mayo - Miller - Marion - C with Lowry off the bench looks pretty good (if they wanted to go smallball).

4 - Sonics - Westbrook. Think this is a reach, but they go for the PG and dump Ridnour on someone.

5 - Wolves - Lopez. McHale takes the safe option and goes for the C after trading down.

6 - Knicks - Bayless. They'll take the combo guard who falls to them, and D'Antoni has his PG he can build around.

7 - Clippers - Gordon. They get a SG upgrade over Cuttino Mobley. If they can find a PG, re-sign Maggette and keep Brand, this will be a team to watch next season IMHO.

8 - Bucks - Alexander. Locked in at this spot, so I think it'll probably happen.

9 - Bobcats - Love. The Cats get a PF to use next to Okafor. Good fit for both sides.

10 - Blazers - Augustine. The Blazers trade up with New Jersey giving up their 1st and Jarrett Jack so McMillan can get his upgrade at the PG spot.

11 - Pacers - Randolph. With the trade for Ford, PG isn't a huge need now, so they'll take the best talent.

12 - Kings - Speights. PF's long been a problem area for the Kings with the likes of Abdul - Rahim and Kenny Thomas there. So they'll go for the need pick here. Brandon Rush is also a possibility though.

13 - Nets - Gallinari. They still get their guy after the trade down. Could be an excellent value pick here.