Mother Nature vs. State of Iowa

Heads22

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
Obviously this has hit the Scouting community hard with four Scouts killed. There was also a lot of great coverage of Scouts helping. I have a group from Ames here this week, ironic they are out surfing.

That tornado, along with Parkersburg, along with the flooding - damn Iowa needs to be left alone for a while by mother nature.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 07:56 AM)
That tornado, along with Parkersburg, along with the flooding - damn Iowa needs to be left alone for a while by mother nature.

It started last fall. It was one of the snowiest winters in recent memory.

The last week has been really weird, cause its been unseasonably nice.

Storms are supposed to roll in tonight, though.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
so rarely do i say this but:

i agree with you.

Me too, actually.

After everything happens, it's nothing more than time to get back to work.

KCRG was interviewing one guy from CR who said that he tried to cross the police tape to get back to his flooded house to get a pair of boots that he needed for work that night.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
n1247383977_30050078_5426_1_.jpg

The Vine in Coralville.

AFAIK, the Big Hurt jersey remained undamaged.

well that's the most important thing after all. no joke.

ps. that's the first time i've seen an abbreviation for "as far as i know"

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
It started last fall. It was one of the snowiest winters in recent memory.

The last week has been really weird, cause its been unseasonably nice.

Storms are supposed to roll in tonight, though.

well in IC's case, think back to the tornado that ripped through downtown in '06, then this past winter, now all this. Dayum.

JESUS f***ING CHRIST

iowa1.jpg

A huge tornado funnel cloud touches down in Orchard, Iowa, Tuesday, June 10, 2008 at 9:04 p.m. The Globe Gazette and Mitchell County Press News reported that Lori Mehmen of Orchard, took the photo from outside her front door. Mehmen said the funnel cloud came near the ground and then went back up into the clouds. Besides tree and crop damage, no human injuries were reported. (AP Photo/Lori Mehmen)

Here's more:

iowa3.jpg

iowa8.jpg

iowa10.jpg

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
well in IC's case, think back to the tornado that ripped through downtown in '06, then this past winter, now all this. Dayum.

Ugh, true that. Friggin' thing jacked up my apartment and totaled my car. I was very lucky compared to what a lot of people are facing now, though. The winter after that had crazy ice storms, then this past winter was bananas on into the spring tornadoes and now summer flooding, I'm hoping we get a bit of a break sometime here. The team I coach will actually play their tournament in IC this Friday/Saturday, so I'll try and get some pictures from around town and campus.

Woo hoo, my hometown Globe Gazette newspaper gets mentioned on soxtalk, haha. But that picture near Orchard is unbelievable. It's about 30 miles from my town, and only 5 miles from the place I have an internship at, Osage. Anyways people were calling City Hall in Osage asking about the picture. Even someone from the Minneapolis Star Tribune asked to use the picture in their newspaper, however I do not know if they did or not.

Edited by WilliamTell

goddamnit i see those pictures and yet everyone nation wide has already forgotten that this even happened. where's our aid from the gov't? where's the public outcry to donate to Iowa? why the f*** doesn't anyone give a s***?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
goddamnit i see those pictures and yet everyone nation wide has already forgotten that this even happened. where's our aid from the gov't? where's the public outcry to donate to Iowa? why the f*** doesn't anyone give a s***?

The media charged everyone up over Katrina, and abandoned the story in Iowa. Its pretty amazing.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
We know why, we don't have to spell it out, do we? And, it's pathetic.

I really hope that isn't it, but in reality, there was probably just as many people affected, and just as much devistation and monetary damages once you figure the crop losses to go along with the buildings, houses, and the like.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
I really hope that isn't it, but in reality, there was probably just as many people affected, and just as much devistation and monetary damages once you figure the crop losses to go along with the buildings, houses, and the like.

exactly. damage wise it's just as bad. and unfortunately i think kap is completely right.

Just got this in an email and it reminded me of this thread. A lot of the stuff below is why the coverage is lacking. People being responsible for themselves and dealing with this situation the best way they can doesn't make as good tv as looting, blaming the government, or racism charges.

As you watch the flooding in the Midwest, have you noticed that

there are no farmers or farm hands running around with stolen

plasma TVs or holding stolen liquor over their heads.

There's no looting or yelling,

'Where's Bush?',

'Where's FEMA?,

'Where's my check?', or

'Why isn't the Government out here saving me and my farm?'

Likewise, I've also noticed there are no reports of any other country

coming to help, or sending aid.

And just where are Reverends Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton?

Shocking contrast isn't it???!!!!

Edit: After going back and reading some of this thread...I see AlphaDog could have been the actual writer of the email above.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
Just got this in an email and it reminded me of this thread. A lot of the stuff below is why the coverage is lacking. People being responsible for themselves and dealing with this situation the best way they can doesn't make as good tv as looting, blaming the government, or racism charges.

As you watch the flooding in the Midwest, have you noticed that

there are no farmers or farm hands running around with stolen

plasma TVs or holding stolen liquor over their heads.

There's no looting or yelling,

'Where's Bush?',

'Where's FEMA?,

'Where's my check?', or

'Why isn't the Government out here saving me and my farm?'

Likewise, I've also noticed there are no reports of any other country

coming to help, or sending aid.

And just where are Reverends Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton?

Shocking contrast isn't it???!!!!

Edit: After going back and reading some of this thread...I see AlphaDog could have been the actual writer of the email above.

Hmmm. Nope, not me. Although I did steal the 'vanilla city' part from a different site, so I am sure that all the phrases and lines are getting around.

For what it's worth:

Iowa City to offer forgivable downpayment loans

Low and middle-income first-time home buyers in Iowa City may be eligible to receive a forgivable mortgage loan to be used for downpayment assistance.

The program, which will offer the a downpayment amount of 10% of the purchase price not to exceed $10,000, will begin July 15. No matching funds from the buyer are required. The loan is completely forgiven if the owner stays in the home for ten years. Paybacks are pro-rated if the owner remains in the home for fewer than ten years.

To be eligible for the program, the home must be located in Iowa City, and it must be a single-family, owner-occupied residence.

Applications are currently being accepted. Interested buyers should contact their lender to complete an application. Only applications submitted by the lender will be considered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, Saturday we drove through downtown Cedar Rapids. They have orange spray paint lines to where the water reached. It's unfathomable. You're driving on this street that's sitting about 15 feet above the water, and the water gets 8 feet up on buildings and houses. And when you see how far out the water can disperse and it still got that high.....it's crazy.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
Heads, your constant attempts to bring relevance to Iowa has only made me wish for it to be annihilated by an asteroid. I'll accept whatever worldwide consequences occur afterwards.

i know this is in jest but man... new orleans STILL gets sympathy while iowa gets... shat on. dig it.