Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 Chicago White Sox Gordon Beckham SS Georgia

He wasn't supposed to be available at this spot, so the White Sox must be thrilled. He can play second base, but there's a good chance he stays at shortstop. He has tremendous baseball instincts. He'll probably move pretty quickly through the system. He instantly becomes the best prospect in the organization the day he signs.

Thats keith laws input. He might be dumb, but he knows more than any of us.

During games all of soxtalk clamors for more line drive hitters who play the game the right way and aren't big base clogging power guys. We draft one of these guys, perfect to round out our lineup and everyone wishes they picked someone else. The sox brass picked the best guy on the board, picked a need for the system and for the big team, and yet its continually second guessed? You people need a reality check.

If some of you guys were dating jessica alba, I'm pretty sure you'd wish you were with someone else.

Rock I feel good about Beckham but I'd feel oh so good about Jessica Alba.

QUOTE (bullpenHeat @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)

He wasn't supposed to be available at this spot, so the White Sox must be thrilled. He can play second base, but there's a good chance he stays at shortstop. He has tremendous baseball instincts. He'll probably move pretty quickly through the system. He instantly becomes the best prospect in the organization the day he signs.

This would have been true whether we selected 8th or 28th. Not only a compliment to his abilities, but just the terrible status of our system. I'm hoping we use our latter selections to sign a few overslot players. We'll have to wait until 86 to find out.

QUOTE (bullpenHeat @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)

Texas Rangers

Justin Smoak 1B South Carolina

This is the best pick in the draft so far. Smoak is the third-best player on my board. He's a switch-hitting Adrian Gonzalez with more power. In the Rangers' ballpark, he has a good chance to hit 40 home runs, if he develops. There are no major holes in his game. I saw this scenario possibly unfolding last night. A lot of things had to go right for them to get Smoak, and they did.

So, you don't think the same could have been said for Smoak if not more? I don't understand why people are called malcontents if they prefer one player over another (both of which are good players)?

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
Keep him away from Walker;

Hitting Ability: Beckham is a line-drive hitter who consistently squares up on the ball and works the count to his advantage.

There are plenty of guys like that in the system. Power hitters are severly lacking in the White Sox system. Thus why Smoak would be a better choice than Beckham.

I dont know how I feel about the pick, on one hand it seems Beckham is comparable to Troy Tulowitzki and we all saw the impact he had on the Rockies last year... on the other hand his ceiling just does not seem that high to me which is a little dissapointing. In the end I dont know enough about college baseball and what not to really fully comment on the pick.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
I dont know how I feel about the pick, on one hand it seems Beckham is comparable to Troy Tulowitzki and we all saw the impact he had on the Rockies last year... on the other hand his ceiling just does not seem that high to me which is a little dissapointing. In the end I dont know enough about college baseball and what not to really fully comment on the pick.

I'm not complaining as I have in previous years with our selections, I just feel similarily -- is Beckham projected to be a superstar calibur player? A franchise player? If we believe so then great.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
How is Beckham in the speed department? How does he compare to the NL East shortstops in that sense?

he doesnt compare to those guys....hes more jeter fast than reyes fast....that is, he'll steal bases and run the bases well, but speed won't be a big part of his game....15-20 ish SBs IMO