Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merry was more effective (than Nick Haughian) and turned into the Huskies' ace, which gave scouts time to warm up to him. He touched the low 90s with his fastball when he reached back for more, but worked better in the upper 80s, throwing his fastball with sink to the inner and outer halves of the plate. His curve and changeup are fringe-average, with the curveball lacking power. He added a slider he throws for strikes and would be a valuable senior ace for the Huskies, but could fit for some teams in the eighth to 12th round.

-BA

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
Merry was more effective (than Nick Haughian) and turned into the Huskies' ace, which gave scouts time to warm up to him. He touched the low 90s with his fastball when he reached back for more, but worked better in the upper 80s, throwing his fastball with sink to the inner and outer halves of the plate. His curve and changeup are fringe-average, with the curveball lacking power. He added a slider he throws for strikes and would be a valuable senior ace for the Huskies, but could fit for some teams in the eighth to 12th round.

-BA

Sounds like a good pickup in round 14.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
^^ Damn you! :D

Some dude just got drafted from North Pole HS in Alaska. Sweet.

Yeah, that was interesting. I watched his video a bit. Hits 83 with his fastball, fairly fluid motion.

I'm sure North Pole High is quite the baseball factory, what with a 2 month playing season and all. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Kuhn hit over .400 this year and his majoring in engineering. Sounds like a smart kid.

I like it. He's a senior, so he may seem a year or so too old to be ideal, but I think that sometimes gets overblown (when we are talking about a year). If he can produce like that, I don't care much the difference between 20 and 21. And I love to see kids with smarts getting drafted - I think that increases their chances for success.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Even though I don't think he's any special, I love the Danks pick. If nothing else, it will shut up a lot of people on here.

this is the second time we drafted him, his agent remains an issue. We will see. I would love to sign him but not for first round money, for third round money would be more like it. He is most likely better than the morel guy whom nobody knows about.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
I went to North, hence the comment from me.

I'm glad that your team kicked our ass when I played football my sophomore year. Someone needed to beat up those pretty boys and I'm glad the roid abusers did. :headbang

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I looked up a few things on him in the last few minutes. Univ. of Texas shifted him from LF to CF this year. Last year he set a team record by stealing 19 bases in a row, this year he stole about the same amount but was caught a few times. Looks like he had the exact same kind of year at the plate, average slightly lower than last year but not by much. Strikeouts and walks almost exactly even, same as last year. He played in all or most of UT's games this year and last year as well, so he looks to be durable.

Not any injury history to speak of other than a fractured ankle his freshman year.

Stats don't tell the whole story but if one relies strictly on stats it doesn't appear he progressed much after a very good year last year. Not sure what that's worth or what it means. Boras seems to think it means a whole lot regardless.

Obviously the kid wanted to play for Univ. of Texas where his dad and mom graduated from and I'm sure he wants the degree. The Sox should have an advantage here, they know the family and the relationship is good. But I would bet this situation goes all the way up to 8/15.

listen once I am a millionaire I could go back and get a degree. Hell half the classes are online now days anyway. This will be about how much the sox want to give the kid,

listen once I am a millionaire I could go back and get a degree. Hell half the classes are online now days anyway. This will be about how much the sox want to give the kid,

Yeah but what about those Univ. of Texas women, you know what I'm talkin' about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but how about a little conspiracy theory based on nothing... Danks told Borass to make an outrageous demand so that the Sox could pick him again, knowing it would scare off the other teams.

now that is hilarious! because we know how much boras loves us.