Who would you add to the 25 man roster

NorthSideSox72

Who should replace Konerko, if he is DL'd?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be added?

• Jerry Owens
    • Brad Eldred
    • David Cook
    • Dewayne Wise
    • Chris Getz
    • Josh Fields
    • Kenny Lofton
    • Other (specify in thread)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
The only player on that list that is currently under our control, plays a position that will be vacated, and isnt the All-or-nothing hitter we have been struggling with is Jerry Owens, unfortunately.

I wouldn't call Getz, Wise or Cook all-or-nothing hitters. I am not sure if Getz can play CF, but Anderson can, with any of those three on the bench. Cook and Wise can both play CF, though I don't know how good Wise is. Cook is supposed to be solid at all 3 OF positions.

Did Wise play any CF while he was up, and if so, did anyone see him?

I have to go with my boy Jerry Owens! I know he isn't doing the best this year down in the farm, but maybe bringing him up here can rejuvinate himself and the lineup. I agree with Stoney, this team is too 1-dimensional. Yea we lead the league in Home Runs, but if we dont hit the homerun we often lose. We are 0-27 in games when trailing in the 8th inning. Maybe alittle bit of speed can help that disgusting stat.

My answer this week would be Owens.

He's hot. (He's hitting .345 for the month of June... gotten hits in 8 of his last 10 games.)

And he plays the position vacated by the guy who would be moving to 1B.

Makes the most sense to me... this week anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
I wouldn't call Getz, Wise or Cook all-or-nothing hitters. I am not sure if Getz can play CF, but Anderson can, with any of those three on the bench. Cook and Wise can both play CF, though I don't know how good Wise is. Cook is supposed to be solid at all 3 OF positions.

Did Wise play any CF while he was up, and if so, did anyone see him?

Sorry, I must clarify, hitters that could start at the major league level. Getz doesnt play CF, Wise shouldnt start and Cook just got moved up to AAA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
Sorry, I must clarify, hitters that could start at the major league level. Getz doesnt play CF, Wise shouldnt start and Cook just got moved up to AAA.

Getz can play CF. He's played it before and definitely has the speed for it.

That said, I expect if the Sox want a CF, they'll bring up Owens.

For those worried about bringing up Owens... Consider the alternative...

Ozzie might decide to put Alexei in center and Uribe back at 2B.

I say get Jerry up here quick before he has too much time to think about it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)

Good point, but I am not sure the player brought up will start. They may ride the bench, with Anderson starting, or with Ramirez doing some CF work and Uribe playing some 2B. Hopefully the latter doesn't happen, but, it might.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Good point, but I am not sure the player brought up will start. They may ride the bench, with Anderson starting, or with Ramirez doing some CF work and Uribe playing some 2B. Hopefully the latter doesn't happen, but, it might.

I really think BA is the best player in the bunch, but lets all be honest, this team needs a better top of the order, OC is not the answer.

Clicked on Lofton but would just as well have gone with Fields if he could step into 1Bor DH on days Jimmy sits. The general opinion around here seems to be that it's impossible (Don't know why, anyone can man 1st if they can play 3rd). Lofton added something positive to the Indians last year, and him being low risk/high reward, why not? Owens would remind me too much of 2007, and everything other than Buehrle's no-hitter and Thome's walk-off 500 needs to go in a corner and die forever.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
I really think BA is the best player in the bunch, but lets all be honest, this team needs a better top of the order, OC is not the answer.

Jerry Owens isn't either, so I don't see why they wouldn't just stick with Cabrera.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
If we wanted a CF, why would we call up Owens?

We don't need a CF, we need someone who can get on base and score runs (i.e. play leadoff). I mean, with Swisher out and assuming you're not putting Anderson in CF, you're not going to put Quentin out there and you surely in the hell aren't going to put Dye out there (although that would be f***ing hilarious to see Dye try to play CF).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
We don't need a CF, we need someone who can get on base and score runs (i.e. play leadoff). I mean, with Swisher out and assuming you're not putting Anderson in CF, you're not going to put Quentin out there and you surely in the hell aren't going to put Dye out there (although that would be f***ing hilarious to see Dye try to play CF).

It gets sad seeing Owens needing a cutoff man to get it to second.

I'd almost rather see Alexei in CF, with Uribe/Getz at 2B.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
What happens when Konerko comes back? I think Lofton makes more sense seeing as he's going to be much cheaper.

When PK comes back, then you have a super-utility player in Ramirez. Don't forget we'll likely have an opening at SS next season.

When PK comes back, then you have a super-utility player in Ramirez. Don't forget we'll likely have an opening at SS next season.

Sounds good in theory but the latest buzz was the Orioles starting point was Ramirez, one of either Danks or Floyd, plus another player for Roberts. Emphasis on starting point.