Bobby Jenks Out For A Few Days

knightni

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/FantasySo...Fastball/158130

Jenks getting rest because of back soreness

Jul 03, 2008 02:16 PM

By Roger Kuznia

Wondering why White Sox closer Bobby Jenks hasn't pitched in close games the past two days? Well, the righthander has some soreness in his back, and he's getting some rest because of it.

Manager Ozzie Guillen told the Chicago Tribune that Jenks was overthrowing in the Cubs' series, and that fatigued the closer some.

While Jenks has been a model of health last season and all of this season, anytime you hear of a heavier player having an injury, you get a little more nervous than usual. It's unclear when he'll return, but don't be surprised if it's tonight.

Still, if Scott Linebrink isn't owned in your AL-only league, he should be. As for mixed leaguers, Linebrink may be worth a shot if you have the roster flexibility. But if you have better options, just keep watching this situation like a hawk in case something were to happen to Jenks.

Unintentional pun I would assume.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
While Jenks is out, I'd really prefer to see Thornton as the closer. Dotel I don't trust late in pressure situations and Linebrink should stay as the set up man (and I'm not saying that because of last night).

I can't argue with this, at all.

While Jenks is out, I'd really prefer to see Thornton as the closer. Dotel I don't trust late in pressure situations and Linebrink should stay as the set up man (and I'm not saying that because of last night).

Dotel's the only one with closing experience. I think Ozzie needs to do closer by committee a little bit. He should just look at some matchups and go with whoever he thinks matches up well. If it's a bunch of lefties, then Thornton. If it's a bunch of righties, send out Dotel. Keep Linebrink at setup, I like him to stay there.

Edited by chw42

Oh Rly? You dont trust a guy with 82 career saves? But you trust a guy who has never been a closer?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
I've feared all day of logging on and seeing title "Bobby Jenks out for season". When I saw the title of this thread, my heart dropped for a second.

The reports I've heard say it's near his left scapula. This is a pretty odd injury, if they are truthful. The strain shouldn't take more than a few days to resolve itself.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
The reports I've heard say it's near his left scapula. This is a pretty odd injury, if they are truthful. The strain shouldn't take more than a few days to resolve itself.

The MLB site says it's a "cramp like pain near his left shoulder". That makes me curious at least.

Linebrink looked shaky again in the closer's role. So I would agree that Thornton or Dotel may be the better choices, with Logan taking Thornton's set up duties, and perhaps Russell subbing for Dotel in set up.

But let's hope Bobby just needed a few days rest. We won't really know till he's back out there if he's okay.

Sounded as if Jenks was going to throw a bullpen session today and than at that point the Sox will decide whether they'll put Jenks on the DL or not. I think they are optimistic that he won't find his way to the DL, but if they have any questions, they can easily throw him on the DL and than activate Paulie and basically pass on making a decision on who gets waived or sent down when Paulie comes up (as it would now be made once Jenks came back up).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
I hate linebrink in that role. I would like a committee based on situations. If not, use Dotel, he has the most closing experience.

I like Thornton taking over as temporary closer. Not only are his numbers this year just sick, but he's really the calm, cool and collected type. Plus that velocity is just fantastic - harder than Jenks throws nowadays, really.

But its temporary, so, no big deal one way or another. Your platoon idea would work well too.