Harden to Cubs

G&T

I threw this in the catch all, but if it happens I figure it deserves its own thread. B&B are reporting Harden to Cubs might be happening. Lou skipped his press conference and the thought is that something big is going down.

No clue as to what the A's would want.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Gallagher. He looks to have a good live arm. Patterson is solid with some potential (whether he makes it or not, who knows, compare him a bit to Richar in that sense). Murton can rake and should fit in nicely in Oakland (and be productive).

This move definately makes the Cubs rotation much stronger and a healthy Harden (which you have to ask how realistic is such) makes the Cubs a much improved team. Heck, you can make a case that this is a smarter move than the CC one (as a healthy Harden is arguably as good as CC and would be under the Cubs control for longer than CC is the Brewers).

However, one Harden injury (which wouldn't be a shocker) and this could turn into a terrible deal for the Cubs. Gaudin is pretty solid though.

It is a horrible trade by the A's if Harden can stay healthy. Problem is, he can't. Gaudin could be pretty good in the NL though either way. I have no idea if Josh Donaldson is any good, but giving up Patterson and Murton shouldn't haunt them, but Gallagher could be a very good pitcher.

This trade could go in a lot of different directions, but it seems like an odd trade by Oakland. I wonder if something is wrong with Harden, between this deal and the fact that Harden looked really bad on Sunday. It's a big risk by the Cubs, but I guess when you haven't won in a century you might as well try it.

Overall, this is a risk for both teams, but could be looked at as a risk worth taking for both teams. This trade will be proclaimed as the steal of the century by the media, but really it could go either way. I'm very surprised and not sure what I think right now to be honest.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
It is a horrible trade by the A's if Harden can stay healthy. Problem is, he can't. Gaudin could be pretty good in the NL though either way. I have no idea if Josh Donaldson is any good, but giving up Patterson and Murton shouldn't haunt them, but Gallagher could be a very good pitcher.

This trade could go in a lot of different directions, but it seems like an odd trade by Oakland. I wonder if something is wrong with Harden, between this deal and the fact that Harden looked really bad on Sunday. It's a big risk by the Cubs, but I guess when you haven't won in a century you might as well try it.

Overall, this is a risk for both teams, but could be looked at as a risk worth taking for both teams. This trade will be proclaimed as the steal of the century by the media, but really it could go either way. I'm very surprised and not sure what I think right now to be honest.

The physical that pends that trade will show that. You can't trade an injured player.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)

Gaudin being involved makes it a bit better for the Cubs (as he should be pretty damn solid in the NL).

The one thing I will say, I remember when Oakland gave up Mark Mulder and got Dan Haren (and Daric Barton and Kiko Calero) and people thought St. Louis got a steal. Obviously, they didn't get as much here and also gave up Gaudin, but Oakland seems to know when to deal pitchers before they get hurt and/or fall off. I believe if they want to, the Cubs would have control of Gaudin and Harden through the 2009 season (although Harden's is an option).

I'll also say this, while Murton/Patterson should have value to Oakland, losing them will have no impact on the Cubs (since they really don't have roster spots). So essentially they are moving Gallagher and Donaldson (minor leaguer who has little importance to the major league roster) and getting back Harden (one of the best pitchers in baseball when healthy) and Gaudin (an upgrade from Gallagher at this point). So they got back two guys who will help upgrade the roster and pitching staff without losing anyone that would help them this year (imo).

From that standpoint, you got to call it a pretty good deal. Also, Gallagher (who has the most upside of anyone dealt) still doesn't have the potential or ability to do what Harden does (although I think he can peak as a #2 or #3 starter if all goes well). At the same time, Oakland saves a lot of money and gets a few guys that are major league ready.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
great trade for the cubs...they gave up jack in murton and patterson...donaldson is hitting .217/.276/.349 in LoA and is nearly 22 already....awful trade for the As imo

im sure beane has something in mind for his next move

I like this move for the Cubs. Sure, Harden could go down with an injury, but they didn't give up anything that will kill them. Gallagher will probably be a good pitcher soon but this is a risk they have to take with an open door to the World Series. It's surprising to me that this is the best offer Oakland got, even considering how likely it is that Harden gets hurt.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)

Harden's struggled in his last two starts. I had also read that he's having a "dead arm period" before his White Sox start. Maybe Billy Beane does have something up his sleeve.