The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

Um, I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. In a matter of context, i have no problem calling them the american taliban when they are ruining peoples lives for not doing anything illegal, but merely being someone else. And if this name marginalizes and ruins their goals, then whatever. Texas or amarello should put together some privacy laws.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
They're not beheading people or throwing acid on girls trying to go to school.

They're still terrible people, but it doesn't compare IMO.

Well this group in Texas didn't get C.I.A training and millions of dollars from Charlie Wilson.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
Newest outrage: OMG Obama is only giving the troops a "1.4% pay increase for active duty military in 2011. This is THE LOWEST SINCE 1973!"

(psssttt.... because of the economy, I didnt get ANY pay raise!)

They're not union.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Living Wage.....LOL.

There are few topics where I see such extreme craziness in political discussions, as I do about unions. Everyone seems to either see them as the great savior of the working class, or some sort of mafia out to steal money from companies. Both sides are truly ridiculous.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
There are few topics where I see such extreme craziness in political discussions, as I do about unions. Everyone seems to either see them as the great savior of the working class, or some sort of mafia out to steal money from companies. Both sides are truly ridiculous.

It's an old battle. Especially in Chicago.

As a mom I know one-size-fits-all clothes don't fit, aren't comfortable and are seldom a bargain. So why does Harry Reid want to force one-size-fits-all government health care on us? Harry Reid thinks Washington knows best, but I think we the people know best. Harry Reid's big government health care plan will raise taxes, put a bureaucrat between you and your doctor, weaken Medicare, kill jobs, push us further into debt. I'm Sue Lowden and I approve this message because government run health care is wrong.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)

I don't know that this is completely true. I mean, GoSox and people like him seem to have a more favorable view of unions and the idea of them than most people, but I've never seen people saying they are the "great savior of the working class." I think much more often than not they just want to recognize that the labor movement earlier in the 20th century had a positive effect on the rise of the middle class and everything after that is counter-rhetoric from the "unions are the worst thing ever" polemic. In the end it gets represented as 2 sides that are equally extreme, whether one side is valid or not, just like everything else having to do with politics in this country.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Newest outrage: OMG Obama is only giving the troops a "1.4% pay increase for active duty military in 2011. This is THE LOWEST SINCE 1973!"

(psssttt.... because of the economy, I didnt get ANY pay raise!)

Someone posted this on my Facebook page, I give the same kind of response I always give... I am willing to bet that the majority of people who post and re-post this message also criticize Obama's spending and the deficit (even though he is only partially responsible for it and they don't acknowledge that it's mostly caused by policies they supported in the past). So I tell them that even during the recession defense is, by far, the biggest part of the federal budget (after Social Security and Medicare which don't count, at least they have their own tax). The government is broke, where is the money coming from? It's just like when people lament how much money teachers and cops make. Okay... so are you willing to pay more taxes? No? Ok, that's the end of that conversation, I guess.

I guess we could generate revenue by cutting more taxes though since that makes a whole lot of logical sense. Even though what actually happens is people with money buy bonds to finance their tax cuts, and then people wonder why the economy doesn't grow and suggest cutting more taxes, to make the deficit even bigger! No but it's Obama's fault.

The Islamic Traitor Enemy Within Administration's cancelling of the war on terror results in the arrest of Adam Gadahn - I'd say this qualifies as a pretty big deal, the guy was charged with treason http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/07/a...q_n_489124.html

Someone please muzzle Liz Cheney.

Edited by lostfan

Seriously though, while they're still not particularly high, Obama's approval on terrorism, foreign affaris and conduct of the wars is where the American public are most satisfied and confident in him.

I have a hard time seeing where any moderate right wingers can really criticize Obama in any major way. Seems to have a pretty steady hand at the wheel on these issues despite some mistakes.

Also, don't want to give Obama too much credit that probably doesn't really accrue to him, but enforcement and military achievements.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
The Islamic Traitor Enemy Within Administration's cancelling of the war on terror results in the arrest of Adam Gadahn - I'd say this qualifies as a pretty big deal, the guy was charged with treason http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/07/a...q_n_489124.html

Someone please muzzle Liz Cheney.

The reports of his arrest may have been incorrect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
The reports of his arrest may have been incorrect.

That's what I get for linking Huffington Post.

This type of s*** always happens when the Pakistanis arrest somebody, 2 or 3 times it's the wrong guy before they eventually get arrested.

Edited by lostfan

Harry Reid's Tea Party Challenger Owes More Than $200,000 in Back Taxes

The chips may already be stacked against Jon Scott Ashjian, the man who recently filed as a Tea Party candidate for Harry Reid's Nevada Senate seat.

A report last week uncovered that the successful business owner owes more than $200,000 in back taxes. On top of that, recent polls appear to confirm Republican worries that a Tea Party candidate might skim enough conservative votes to change the election in the Democrats favor.

In a profile in the Las Vegas Sun, J. Patrick Coolican reports that Ashjian "has an IRS lien on his property because he owes more than $200,000 in back taxes, according to the county recorder."

Isaiah 49:16 reads: "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."

"Hey, if it was good enough for God, scribbling on the palm of his hand, it's good enough for me, for us. He says, in that passage he says, I wrote your name on the palm of my hand to remember you. And I'm like OK, I'm in good company," Palin said to laughter.

:chair

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
So, a state senator from California was arrested last night in his state provided SUV and was driving drunk. That's sad and a problem, but not really news to me. Until this came out about it.

The State Senator is Roy Ashburn. He was a "family values" proponent and opposed to gay rights. He had an "unidentified male companion" in his car with him. The media is reporting he left a bar called "Faces" that night. "Faces" is the biggest gay bar in Sacramento.

So I hope he's fully outed for the big old gay hypocrite that he really is.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/...ore.php?ref=fpa

Ashburn comes out of the closet, in response to his big gay DUI arrest last week.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/capit...oy-ashburn.html

Republican Sen. Roy Ashburn, who has been on leave from the Senate since his DUI arrest last week, confirmed today that he is gay.

"I'm gay," Ashburn told KERN radio host Inga Barks in an interview this morning. "Those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long."

Ashburn's announcement follows reports that Ashburn was leaving a gay club before he was arrested for driving under the influence last week.

The Bakersfield Republican, who has consistently voted against gay-rights measures, said his votes were a reflection of how the majority of voters in his conservative district would have wanted him to vote.

Ashburn, who is divorced, has been on personal leave in the Senate since last week's arrest. He is expected to return today.

Benjamin Lopez, lobbyist for the Traditional Values Coalition, said, "I don't know why Roy strayed. But he said that the Rev. Louis Sheldon, founder of the coalition, was open to help Ashburn with counseling.

Lopez stood with Ashburn at a rally in Bakersfield in 2005 to support a state proposal to block gay marriage as well as to get rid of domestic partnerships with any benefits of marriage.

"I think it's sad more than hypocritical," Lopez said. "We're not in Roy's head. We don't know what is he thinking. We hope he comes to terms with whatever is making him make a choice to be a gay man."

Geoff Kors, executive director of Equality California, a gay rights group that sponsors many state bills, called Ashburn's comments about his voting record "a lame excuse."

"He's blaming his constituents," Kors said. "There are legislators in the Central Valley who have voted for LBGT (lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender) rights."

In a press released midday Monday, Equality California said: "We can empathize with Senator Ashburn's long and difficult journey to admit that he is gay. Equality California looks forward to working with the Senator to use his experience to educate the people in his district on why he deserves the same rights and privileges as a gay man as any other Californian.

So, over the week while I was gone there was a trial balloon floated of actually just trying KSM and his ilk in military tribunals, which of course remains a terrifically bad idea. Today, I got an explanation of why that was floated. It's another round of Lucy putting the football down.

This is the deal Lindsey Graham thinks he can use to get the White House to abandon a civilian trial for Khalid Shaikh Mohammed: Republican support for the closure of Guantanamo Bay. According to the more sophisticated explanation/rationalization I’ve heard for accepting the deal, it’s not so much that Graham can really bring along Republicans as much as he can provide political cover for reticent Democrats to vote for what in 2008 was a bipartisan consensus position, endorsed by even George W. Bush and John McCain. This is the world we live in.
I'm sure this time, they'll really mean it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
So, over the week while I was gone there was a trial balloon floated of actually just trying KSM and his ilk in military tribunals, which of course remains a terrifically bad idea. Today, I got an explanation of why that was floated. It's another round of Lucy putting the football down.

I'm sure this time, they'll really mean it.

Yea, those blogs tell you how much of a great idea a civilian trial is, so that has to be the truth, even though our president already convicted our murder before he got convicted, oh wait a minute...

Which set of Democrat double standards do you want to honor?