The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

The Republicans have all these joke candidates who are getting their 15 minutes. First Trump now Florina. Will they even have a nominee by the time this is over? Florina is beyond bad candidate; and Donnie is a caricature/clown. Nobody wants the surgeon cept Greg. None of those next eight candidates are any good. WOW.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
The Republicans have all these joke candidates who are getting their 15 minutes. First Trump now Florina. Will they even have a nominee by the time this is over? Florina is beyond bad candidate; and Donnie is a caricature/clown. Nobody wants the surgeon. None of those next eight candidates are any good. WOW.

Walker was a joke intellectually.

Kasich, Rubio and Christie would all do pretty well imo.

Finally, you (theoretically) should be happy with Cruz, Huckabee and Santorum as well, as God would be mentioned every day by them. The Clintons and Obamas hardly ever speak about religion, comparatively.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:51 PM)
Walker was a joke intellectually.

Kasich, Rubio and Christie would all do pretty well imo.

Finally, you (theoretically) should be happy with Cruz, Huckabee and Santorum as well, as God would be mentioned every day by them. The Clintons and Obamas hardly ever speak about religion, comparatively.

Yet Jimmy Carter mentions God a lot, bless the man! I don't need my President to mention God a ton but I do respect Jimmy's stance.

Once these secondary candidates emerge I'll have to examine their positions. I'm still most interested in the 15 minutes of fame candidates: Bernie, Donnie Trump, the Surgeon and Carly. I'll get around to learning about the others.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 11:12 PM)
Yet Jimmy Carter mentions God a lot, bless the man! I don't need my President to mention God a ton but I do respect Jimmy's stance.

Once these secondary candidates emerge I'll have to examine their positions. I'm still most interested in the 15 minutes of fame candidates: Bernie, Donnie Trump, the Surgeon and Carly. I'll get around to learning about the others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/opinion/...ol-right-region

Opinion piece on Carson.

Edited by caulfield12

Has anybody listened to Meghan McCain's radio talk show on America Now radio? It appears on one of the major KC area radio stations (980) Monday-Friday in the early evening hours here, and I think it's good talk radio.

Why? She gets name and no-name guests and they talk politics and I've yet to hear the annoying screaming and talking over each other bulls*** that pervades almost all political talk shows.

I can't watch those shows on cable TV, like Chris Matthews' show; like O'Reilly's show because it drives me crazy when guests scream over each other. I just can't take it.

I was watching a clip of that former actor on MASH, Wayne Rogers, appearing on one of the shout-over-each-other political shows on FOX I believe or CNN and he finally gave up because whenever he started answering a question of the panel 2-3 others started screaming and he simple couldn't complete a sentence without some idiot talking over him. I don't know why that has become a popular format -- get 3-4 guests, put a question out there and the winner is whomever screams the loudest to get the floor. Sickening.

McCain's show, no matter your affiliation, is informative cause there is civil discourse. For what it's worth, she favors Florina and does not like Trump. She also stood up for Cruz tonight. And she's a Hillary hater.

I see Trump got booed for saying Cruz looked like a clown. He also went after one candidate for sweating way too much. Tick tick tick ... his 20 minutes of fame hourglass has begun its downward cycle for sure.

Trump's strategy for a brilliant businessman at this point is puzzling. He has to know he was riding high early cause he was the fresh new voice, barking out great one-liners, taking no s*** from anybody.

But like any 'good' thing, his mean, cruel schtick starts to wear. If Donnie was smart, he'd have rode that popularity and backed off for a while.

You got to keep 'em wanting for more and Trump is starting to wear on the people. Dumb strategy. Let Florina and the others flap their gums for a couple months and go to New Hampshire and Iowa and shake some hands a couple days a week MAXIMUM.

Do any of you politicos agree with me on this? Whether you like DT or not, isn't his strategy of all Trump all the time on TV kinda lunatic-ish if u wanna win a nomination/election? He did a fine job hopping to the head of the pack, but unless he backs off BIG TIME the regression in Greg's opinion is forthcoming!!!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 25, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
I see Trump got booed for saying Cruz looked like a clown. He also went after one candidate for sweating way too much. Tick tick tick ... his 20 minutes of fame hourglass has begun its downward cycle for sure.

Trump's strategy for a brilliant businessman at this point is puzzling. He has to know he was riding high early cause he was the fresh new voice, barking out great one-liners, taking no s*** from anybody.

But like any 'good' thing, his mean, cruel schtick starts to wear. If Donnie was smart, he'd have rode that popularity and backed off for a while.

You got to keep 'em wanting for more and Trump is starting to wear on the people. Dumb strategy. Let Florina and the others flap their gums for a couple months and go to New Hampshire and Iowa and shake some hands a couple days a week MAXIMUM.

Do any of you politicos agree with me on this? Whether you like DT or not, isn't his strategy of all Trump all the time on TV kinda lunatic-ish if u wanna win a nomination/election? He did a fine job hopping to the head of the pack, but unless he backs off BIG TIME the regression in Greg's opinion is forthcoming!!!

Depends on a lot of things...there's enough other candidates in the Republican race that "30%" in the early states might well be enough to hold onto a win. Similarly, the people who supposedly like him are people who like hearing things about how all the Mexicans are rapists except for a handful of good people. If he backs off on the insulting of groups they dont' like, he might well lose some of that energy.

But there's a whole lot beyond just "where the polls are". He hasn't had to spend any money at all whatsoever, so seeing how things like "getting written material into people's hands" and "actually getting your voters to the polls" are done by him could be a huge deal - has anyone seen anything about him building organizations to do that? And again, we haven't seen the superPAC money enter the game really at all yet, there are going to be a whole lot of ads bought in Iowa over the next few months and whether he's willing to spend $100 million+ just on that we haven't seen yet.

The Republicans have a quandary.

Is Bush still viable or has he been compromised as a candidate by his early showing?

Realistically, the money has to flow towards him or some combination of Rubio, Kasich or possibly Christie, whose "hug" with Obama will always be used against him by the right wing.

I suppose a Rubio/Fiorina or Kasich/Fiorina combo would be another back-up plan...but that's only if she can continue to hold her own and maintain mid teens support.

Bush is still in it for now, but the clock is ticking on him...the recent comment anout Obama giving out freebies was either uncharacteristically stupid or calculated political theatre to appeal to the base.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 26, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
The Republicans have a quandary.

Is Bush still viable or has he been compromised as a candidate by his early showing?

Realistically, the money has to flow towards him or some combination of Rubio, Kasich or possibly Christie, whose "hug" with Obama will always be used against him by the right wing.

I suppose a Rubio/Fiorina or Kasich/Fiorina combo would be another back-up plan...but that's only if she can continue to hold her own and maintain mid teens support.

Bush is still in it for now, but the clock is ticking on him...the recent comment anout Obama giving out freebies was either uncharacteristically stupid or calculated political theatre to appeal to the base.

This might sound dumb ... but I forget how the candidate emerges at the convention. Is it merely a vote of all the delegates? If so why do the delegates have so much power to pick a candidate?? Who the frick are they? I could see Bush winning in such a scenario. "The great state of Texas, home of the best beefy steaks in the USA, nominates Jeb Bush!!!" then everybody follows suit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
This might sound dumb ... but I forget how the candidate emerges at the convention. Is it merely a vote of all the delegates? If so why do the delegates have so much power to pick a candidate?? Who the frick are they? I could see Bush winning in such a scenario. "The great state of Texas, home of the best beefy steaks in the USA, nominates Jeb Bush!!!" then everybody follows suit.

The delegates are generally people elected by the voters in the various primaries and caucuses to represent each state, however not all of them are 100% guaranteed to a specific candidate based on the votes. They're chosen as supporters but do have some rights to support other candidates. There are also party elders who are "super delegates" and have the right to support whoever they want to and they are equal to the delegates selected by the candidates in the elections. To become a nominee you need a majority of the full set of delegates.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2015 -> 04:25 AM)
The delegates are generally people elected by the voters in the various primaries and caucuses to represent each state, however not all of them are 100% guaranteed to a specific candidate based on the votes. They're chosen as supporters but do have some rights to support other candidates. There are also party elders who are "super delegates" and have the right to support whoever they want to and they are equal to the delegates selected by the candidates in the elections. To become a nominee you need a majority of the full set of delegates.

Interesting. Thanks.

I can't see Trump emerging in one of these scenarios.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
This will be an interesting one.....If it gets to court it should take about 6 seconds to dismiss...But we are talking about the leftist paradise of Cally.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/calif-kin...SAu3?li=AAa0dzB

It's a private institution. Their handbook says no homosexuality.Shouldn't they find a more welcoming kindergarten? Maybe they'll win the lawsuit of all lawsuits that changes the rules for good.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
This will be an interesting one.....If it gets to court it should take about 6 seconds to dismiss...But we are talking about the leftist paradise of Cally.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/calif-kin...SAu3?li=AAa0dzB

Legally they probably have no case.

Morally, I find it disgusting the school did this, especially after the kid had already started the school year. Ar they kicking out students if their parents divorce, or there is an affair? I mean really. Get over your bigoted selves.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)

Morally, I find it disgusting the school did this, especially after the kid had already started the school year. Ar they kicking out students if their parents divorce, or there is an affair? I mean really. Get over your bigoted selves.

I completely agree...at the same time, while it takes courage to sue, I don't see how it helps. Putting your kid in the spotlight might help other people's cause, but it negatively impacts your child at that age. You don't want to be the kid who if you google their name a big story comes up. If It were me, I'd be royally pissed and make a stink but I'd never send my kids back to that institution. I would try file a suit to fight for rights of others but I also would understand I'm going to lose. Totally wrong what the school did and so bigoted.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)

Only problem I see the school having is that kid had already gone to pre-school there. Did it only just find out the kid had two moms or something?

Actually, take that back, two possible problems. Other problem is the school's director saying "The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. We don't condone any sinful lifestyles." That opens the whole can of worms of things like, "what about kids with divorced parents?" Courts really really disfavor getting into legitimacy of religious beliefs though, so I don't see this being a strong argument.

Only problem I see the school having is that kid had already gone to pre-school there. Did it only just find out the kid had two moms or something?

Actually, take that back, two possible problems. Other problem is the school's director saying "The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. We don't condone any sinful lifestyles." That opens the whole can of worms of things like, "what about kids with divorced parents?" Courts really really disfavor getting into legitimacy of religious beliefs though, so I don't see this being a strong argument.

That judgment is going to be driven by the tuition-paying parents of the other kids at the school. Whichever particular sins offend them are the ones the school is going to forbid.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 07:04 AM)
That judgment is going to be driven by the tuition-paying parents of the other kids at the school. Whichever particular sins offend them are the ones the school is going to forbid.

+1

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 07:04 AM)

Agreed, but the reasons for a decision and and the legal ramifications of a decision are two different things.

Edited by farmteam