Should Dotel be the interim closer?

joeynach

I have heard a lot of people say Linebrink should not be the interim closer while Bobby is out, and that instead it should be Dotel. I think Linebrinks last two save opportunities tell the tale. He struggles a little more against lefties and is more of a outs by contact type guy. Usually as a closer ur looking for nastry stuff, high K rate, and low contact.......DOTEL. I think Dotel should be Bobbys backup with Linebrink and Thornton working the 7th and 8th still. Any thoughts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dotel's the only other guy with closing experience, so yes.

He wasn't real good to say the least, but anything's better than Linebrink right now. I was so pissed last night that I just wanted the Royals to walk us off after they tied the game. I couldn't take anymore of that crap.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
With the smoke Dotel was throwing last night, I have no problem moving him to closer
i feel more confident when Thornton comes to the mound.. His whip is lower than Dotel and also feel that he is capable of going more innings and being the strongest closer.. Thornton also mentioned that he would like to be a starter in an earlier interview.. the lefty closer I believe is a better idea.

Thinking outside of the box here, who is the one guy on the roster who has actually spent time as a closer this year?

Adam Russell.

Why mess with the 7th and 8th innings? Leave Dotel and Linebrink where they have been comfortable, and try something outside of the box.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
i feel more confident when Thornton comes to the mound.. His whip is lower than Dotel and also feel that he is capable of going more innings and being the strongest closer.. Thornton also mentioned that he would like to be a starter in an earlier interview.. the lefty closer I believe is a better idea.

The reason i am hesitant with Thornton is that he just doesnt have a lot of movement on his pitches. Some guys can just sit on his fastball, no matter how fast he throws it. Dotel occassionally gets lit up too, but he has so much movement on his fastball it makes it harder for anyone to sit on the pitch.

Either way, I just want success in the closer role

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)

Thornton really only has like 2 pitches....yes he is very effective when he comes in and throws strikes....I just don't think a closer should have only one strong pitch....Dotel for me...

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
Thornton really only has like 2 pitches....yes he is very effective when he comes in and throws strikes....I just don't think a closer should have only one strong pitch....Dotel for me...
thornton has 2 pitches.. could be I wonder why he hasn't developed a third.. perhaps it may be because of the role Ozzie delegate to him.. Anyway, I was listening to the score that was being broadcasted from the "Cork And Carry" with Cooper being interviewed he was asked of there was any talent in the miners deserving attention.. He mentioned Clayton Richard he is a starter presently with some pretty good numbers. We've take a lot of starters and tried to make relievers out of them is Richard anywhere ready to make the move to make the staff. Not necessarily as the closer but to replace Jenks on the roster while he is on the dl so another of our relievers can fill in as the closer. I believe he has all of his options available.. He works fast. Faster than Gibson I've read.. Since he is a starter allthough not stated in any articles i've read he should have a repetoire of more than 2 pitches.........

Does it really matter what inning you come in to pitch? Does Linebrink crap the bed because he comes out of the bullpen knowing he is in the "closer" role or in a save situation? I doubt it, he is just having a tough stretch, all pitchers go through this.

Even after a rough stretch, Linebrink still has an unbelievable K:BB ratio of over 5:1. He only has 6 walks in 38 IP. The odd thing about Linebrink is even when he has a bad outing, the Sox still win. He has allowed a run in each of his last 4 outings, yet the Sox have won all of them. The Sox are 35-4 when he pitches. I know he normally comes in when the Sox have the lead, but that is still a good sign.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dotel as the Closer, but I would just go with the hot hand.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
It should be Dotel and always should have. Linebrink sucks at closing.

Ozzie says he's going committee.

Linebrink = LaTroy Hawkins

I'd rather see Dotel or Russell

Hurry back Bobby :notworthy

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
Linebrink = LaTroy Hawkins

Exactly what I was thinking.

Some people just cant handle pitching the 9th for whatever reason and should stay as set-up guys. Dotel has done it before and pretty well, so he should be the guy with Bobby down.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Exactly what I was thinking.

Some people just cant handle pitching the 9th for whatever reason and should stay as set-up guys. Dotel has done it before and pretty well, so he should be the guy with Bobby down.

Linebrink pitched in the 11th?

I was so pissed last night that I just wanted the Royals to walk us off after they tied the game. I couldn't take anymore of that crap.

No offense, but that's stupid.

They were trying to win just like the Sox.

It happened to be a good game.

True Linebrink sucked, but there were a lot of potential goats on both sides in that game.

Call me dumb but I'd try Linebrink again. He's getting used to being trotted out there.

Or try Masset again. True he stunk, but he did get the last DP ball.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
Linebrink pitched in the 11th?

Let me re-phrase that:

Some people just cant handle the closer role, which is in the 9th about 90% of the time, for whatever reason and should stay as set-up guys. Dotel has done it before and pretty well, so he should be the guy with Bobby down

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)
Was that a rumor or did Linebrink really say "I stink" after the game?

If he did, it shows some balls and it might be worth giving him the ball one more time.

I personally prefer results from my closer over attitude.

But who is assured of being a good closer on this roster?

It's a crapshoot.

Committee sounds good to me right now.

Oz is a good manager and has a good feel for the game.

People get on him for things, but the few instances he has some speed on the bases (only chance is with Wise or Alexei) he puts things in motion.

I trust Oz on this one. Committee baby with Linebrink deserving one more shot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)
Was that a rumor or did Linebrink really say "I stink" after the game?

If he did, it shows some balls and it might be worth giving him the ball one more time.

He really said it. I was listening to the score earlier today and they replayed it a few times.

I don't get the concept that this was a lucky win. The Sox hit Davies hard all game and just couldn't come up with a clutch hit. They also had numerous situations with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs where they couldn't get in the key run.

The Royals on the other hand had a couple gift early runs (thanks to Contreras not covering the bag) and not near as many hard hit balls. Both teams definitely played ugly but the reality is that the Sox hit the ball well and could have easily put that game out of reach early on. I'm glad they were able to battle back because had they lost, this would be one of those games where I'd have shaken my head because it would be the type where they beat themselves.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)

Doesn't Dotel almost exclusively throw fastballs and cutters? I follow him a lot on Gameday and it certainly seems that way.

Thorty has the best arm in the pen (and I'm including Bobby Jenks). Jenks has better command and better secondary pitches but until he starts blasting the heat in the upper 90's, I fully believe Thornton has the best arm. I'd use him as the primary closer while he's out, but Dotel is another solid option given his closing experience.

Of course we could always claim Borowski and use him in the pen ;) :lol: