Sox Interested in Duchscherer

Chisoxfn

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
From that article I linked, it sounds like Duch wants some security with a deal. He should be easy to sign if they dealt for him.

BTW, Does Jose have a no-trade for 2008? Or did that expire?

I'd be very weary of giving Duch any sort of extension before the 2009 trade deadline but it's good to have that option appear open.

And Jose is without trade protection for the remainder of his contract. He can be dealt at will.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
I'm pretty close to getting behind a possible Duke for Fields/Poreda deal. I actually think 3rd base is a pretty easy position to fill, so I'm not worried about 2009 and on.

I'm very interested to see how he does at home against Texas on Saturday.

I might be off the beam here but don't forget Beckham. If we trade Fields maybe the plan is to have Beckham play 3rd base or leave AR at 2nd with Beckham staying at SS. I'd have to think Beckham becomes our #1 prospect as soon as he signs.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
I'd be very weary of giving Duch any sort of extension before the 2009 trade deadline but it's good to have that option appear open.

And Jose is without trade protection for the remainder of his contract. He can be dealt at will.

Unless the sox can get something done in the next day or two, it would be hard for them to deal Jose for anything useful. Even though getting salary relief may be just as important.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Why are people talking about trading Contreras? The only chance he gets traded is after the deadline during the waiver period. He won't be included in any deal until he shows he actually can throw the ball.

Its wishful thinking....

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Why are people talking about trading Contreras? The only chance he gets traded is after the deadline during the waiver period. He won't be included in any deal until he shows he actually can throw the ball.

He isn't even eligible to come off the DL until August 2nd.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
No one is forgetting him. But the earliest you can expect him to contribute is 2010, and that's even a pretty big stretch.

I'm not so certain about that time table. He reminds me an awful lot of Robin Ventura and he looked "ready for prime time" during the CWS.

QUOTE (ChiCard @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 03:08 AM)
I might be off the beam here but don't forget Beckham. If we trade Fields maybe the plan is to have Beckham play 3rd base or leave AR at 2nd with Beckham staying at SS. I'd have to think Beckham becomes our #1 prospect as soon as he signs.

Welcome aboard.

Yeah, Beckham should be the sox #1 prospect. And moving him to 3b is a good plan. Yet he won't be ready til at least 2010.

QUOTE (ChiCard @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
Didn't they say today that they made it retroactive to 7/14 so he's off the DL 7/28??????

From Cowley:

Pitcher Jose Contreras (right elbow tendinitis) is not eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 2 in KC. The retroactive date was wrong.

Perhaps he can't be placed on the DL retroactive to July 14th since it was a league wide non-game day? I don't know, maybe Cowley was wrong.

Jose's ESPN page has him eligible to come off on August 2nd which would be retroactive to the 18th.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Welcome aboard.

Yeah, Beckham should be the sox #1 prospect. And moving him to 3b is a good plan. Yet he won't be ready til at least 2010.

Keith Law mentioned today that he thinks Beckham projects well as a SS and will be good enough to keep Alexei at 2B. He would be more valuable at SS potentially.

so according to my estimation, s*** happened today yet nothing really happened at all, and all the while I missed every bit of it working my ass off

fun

I'm still not a fan of Duch and I hope that plan A or B comes through...I just can't trust him down the stretch, and I don't really ever like dealing with Beane.

Hey guys, here is a link to a great pitching website that analyzes pitching mechanics. It's extremely interesting. Anyways, they did a feature article on Justin Duchscherer about 6 weeks ago. I haven't reviewed it since then, but from what I recall, they said he has solid mechanics but is just a victim of bad genetics.

Kalapse, Fathom, Tony, some of the rest of you would really enjoy this website.

http://drivelinemechanics.com/2008/06/08/p...in-duchscherer/

Cowley on the SCORE this morning had Duch at plan C.

He also quoted Guillen as saying he will not say his Justin's last name for fear of how he may say it and get in trouble.

I think one of OC or Crede are signed and if not, than it is possibly 4 picks in the top 40 or so gutting the farm system will not hurt especially with Danks and Beckham if signed.

Remember the A's were thought to have wanted Poreda in draft last year and the Sox took him one spot before Oakland.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
Cowley on the SCORE this morning had Duch at plan C.

He also quoted Guillen as saying he will not say his Justin's last name for fear of how he may say it and get in trouble.

I think one of OC or Crede are signed and if not, than it is possibly 4 picks in the top 40 or so gutting the farm system will not hurt especially with Danks and Beckham if signed.

Remember the A's were thought to have wanted Poreda in draft last year and the Sox took him one spot before Oakland.

Yeah, Cowley also stated this in the Sun Times...and basically sees a trade involving Fields...Crede walking next year, and us trading for Figgins. And then Alexei would move to SS, and thinks we would go after Orlando Hudson, who is a free agent. So, it would be Figgins at 3rd, Alexei at SS, and Hudson at 2nd.

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 06:21 AM)
Yeah, Cowley also stated this in the Sun Times...and basically sees a trade involving Fields...Crede walking next year, and us trading for Figgins. And then Alexei would move to SS, and thinks we would go after Orlando Hudson, who is a free agent. So, it would be Figgins at 3rd, Alexei at SS, and Hudson at 2nd.

Given the power the Sox possess at the other positions in the field, I could totally live with that (assuming they have the ability to trade for Figgings, which is a major if).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Given the power the Sox possess at the other positions in the field, I could totally live with that (assuming they have the ability to trade for Figgings, which is a major if).

There are wayyy too many ifs. GMs almost never manage to get all that done even when they plan it that way. See: Our past offseason.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 05:38 AM)
Keith Law mentioned today that he thinks Beckham projects well as a SS and will be good enough to keep Alexei at 2B. He would be more valuable at SS potentially.

Seeing how Beckham won't be ready for a few years, he would likely come up through the minors as a SS. At he could be moved to 3b for a 1/2 a minor league season if Alexei was tearing it up at SS