Cubs-Sox WS - Whose fans could survive losing?

ChiCard

This topic came up at work the other day. If we were to meet those rats in the WS one team would of course have to lose. Since it wouldn't be us, how do you think the Cub fans would take it?

If the earth were to shift off its rotation and we did lose, beside having to move to Canada for a month or two, I think we could accept it and move on.

Cubs fans on the other hand would be on a suicide watch. With all the hype and expectations heaped on the Cubs, losing the WS, to our beloved Sox, would just about be too much for them to take.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
I know there are posters here I'd be worried about, if the Sox lost!

No Joke! hahahaha

Even though it would be really tough, especially the few months after, I think generally speaking that Sox fans could deal with it better. As long as we weren't swept.

Thank god the AL took the AS game, homefield advantage would probably be the difference in that series....

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)
Living out of state, it would not be as hard on me. If I still lived inside the city, I would have to take a looong vacation. Sox fans who never lived inside the city or surrounding areas will never fully understand the whole sox/cubs thing.

My brother was telling me after the Cubs sweep, that week was unbearable with all the people in his face talking all that hot s***, but the next week after the Sox sweep they were nowhere to be found, and he had to track down some people because they were avoiding him. lol.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 11:26 PM)
My brother was telling me after the Cubs sweep, that week was unbearable with all the people in his face talking all that hot s***, but the next week after the Sox sweep they were nowhere to be found, and he had to track down some people because they were avoiding him. lol.

haha that's hilarious.

I think it'd be a fun series. No. 1, it would be great for the great city of Chicago. It'd be so great to see the pre-game pieces the network would do on Chicago. It'd be all Chicago all the time.

As far as the Sox winning or losing. ...

I agree with the post that it's huge the AL won the all star game.

That'd be sweet if we could go 2-0 in the Series and get them on their heels heading into Wrigley.

It'd be very tough to take losing to them though if that was to somehow happen.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
I'd think we'd be better winners and losers.

You hit the nail on the head. Cubs fans kinda remind me of Red Sox fans, they'll talk a grip of sh** when they're winning but as soon as they lose they get very sore about it and don't want to hear anything (although that seems to be more of a Boston thing than just a R Sox thing)

Cubs fans would handle a loss better, there is no doubt in my mind. They have been conditioned with 100 years of losing, what is another year. Sox fans on the other hand have gotten to the point where they can't handle losing to any team, let alone the Cubs. Heck the way this place acted after the first crosstown series, I would imagine the suicide hotline would get pretty busy with a Cubs winner.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
why would cubs fans be under sui watch, they've made their entire marketing scheme after being losers (but FUN LOSERS!!)

to the real fans of that team, this doesnt matter that much. no matter how your franchise markets the team, you're going to live and die by the team if youre a diehard.

if we're just comparing the diehards i know, i think the cubs diehards would fall harder. the buildup of this 100 Years thing can have a disastrous effect for them, too. Plus we already have one under the belt, and can always stick to "we got one first" and "NL pennant is easy to get"

One Cubs fan i know is seriously pissed that the first championship in Chicago since all these years was on the southside, and the Cubs would have to win two to completely dislodge that feeling for him. That said, so many Cubs fans dont frame the chase as a historical battle at all. Many are still working on 'face the field of play.'

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (ChiCard @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
This topic came up at work the other day. If we were to meet those rats in the WS one team would of course have to lose. Since it wouldn't be us, how do you think the Cub fans would take it?

If the earth were to shift off its rotation and we did lose, beside having to move to Canada for a month or two, I think we could accept it and move on.

Cubs fans on the other hand would be on a suicide watch. With all the hype and expectations heaped on the Cubs, losing the WS, to our beloved Sox, would just about be too much for them to take.

I don't know. Cub fans are used to losing so they may not be on suicide watch. It adds to the history of losing.