Dodgers Showcasing Andy LaRoche

striker

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
Absolutely not. He's a terrible hitting coach and we should fire him yesteryear. Quentin was already as stud coming from Arizona. Alexei was already a Cuban pro...clearly similar talent than the MLB. Dye figured it out himself because he's a veteran. Oh, and Joe Crede's 1st full year was with Walker as a hitting coach. Crede figured it out on his own as well.

Well Quentin had dominated in AAA, but injury problems hindered him obviously. Was he a stud at the end of last season? No, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten him so cheaply, but people who had followed him closely knew the potential for him was there to really produce in the right situation.

Cuban Ball is not similar talent to the MLB. It's AA ball (AAA at best), so you have to give some credit to Walker for how Alexei has done in his 1st season. How many international hitters have come into the league and hit over .300 in their 1st season?

Sounds as if you are just blaming Walker for everything, and not giving him any credit for when our hitters actually do produce because there's "other circumstances" for that.

Latest from Rosenthal via MLBTradeRumors:

The White Sox explored a scenario where they would've acquired Brian Roberts from Baltimore, traded Orlando Cabrera to the Dodgers, and moved Alexei Ramirez to shortstop. That obviously didn't work out. The Sox may be currently trying to decide whether to part with third baseman Josh Fields, their best trade chip and third baseman of the future.

Hmmm that's interesting.

Seems as if the Sox may want to not take the draft picks for OC if they can upgrade the middle infield right now. Wonder if they would consider a 3 way with the A's instead, and us acquiring Mark Ellis perhaps (although I can't remember what his numbers are this season).

I don't think the Rockies are going to be sellers this year b/c of what happened last year and the division they play in but, if we do end up using Fields on a starter or whatever I wonder what it would take to get Garrett Atkins. I get the chance to see him a lot out here and he is a very solid player with a name no one really recognizes. They have some young talent that could take over for him (Barmes)

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)

That is the deal I really was hoping for. It makes great sense considering Ramirez is supposed to be a terrific defensive SS and Roberts is a superior offensive player to OC, better equiped to lead off, and not bad with the glove either, and signed for an additional season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
That is the deal I really was hoping for. It makes great sense considering Ramirez is supposed to be a terrific defensive SS and Roberts is a superior offensive player to OC, better equiped to lead off, and not bad with the glove either, and signed for an additional season.

It an ideal situation, but the defensive infield would suffer a ton.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)

I think chisoxfn mused about a trade similar to this in the past few days, a three way deal with the dodgers and orioles

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Hmmm that's interesting.

Seems as if the Sox may want to not take the draft picks for OC if they can upgrade the middle infield right now. Wonder if they would consider a 3 way with the A's instead, and us acquiring Mark Ellis perhaps (although I can't remember what his numbers are this season).

The only way we trade OC for another MIF is if he is a big upgrade at the leadoff spot. I don't see why you would sacrifice the draft picks, switch Ramirez to SS mid-season, and lose Ellis after the season. With Roberts you get a big upgrade at leadoff, retain that upgrade for the 2009 season, and get the drafts picks once he becomes a free agent in 2010. A move for Roberts using OC makes a ton of sense, but for other marginal upgrades like Ellis, it doesn't.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)

I would think the Sox would be getting something more than just Roberts in a deal involving OC. I don't know if that would mean someone like Daniel Cabrera or someone on the Dodgers. Either way I wouldn't be opposed to those three teams working something out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
I would think the Sox would be getting something more than just Roberts in a deal involving OC. I don't know if that would mean someone like Daniel Cabrera or someone on the Dodgers. Either way I wouldn't be opposed to those three teams working something out.

How is that possible? Unless we chipped in more, of course. But I think Roberts is worth more than Cabrera.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
How is that possible? Unless we chipped in more, of course. But I think Roberts is worth more than Cabrera.

I see it that way too. However, it all depends on the Dodgers and how happy they are with Nomar at SS.

The O's asking price Roberts is very big apparently, he is basically the "face of the franchise" after all.

Hence it's gonna be tough to get him, you'd have to give up at least 1 if not 2 good prospects along with OC to get him.

Is Orlando Hudson a FA after this season also FWIW?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
The only value I see Cabrera has to the O's is the draft picks at the end of the season. The way I understood it, we would send the Dodgers Cabrera, the Dodgers would send over prospects to the O's, and we would get back Roberts(and probably send over a prospect of our own).

I understand that. The O's weren't going to be getting OC, but somehow there was talk that the Sox would have to give up more than OC in order to acquire Roberts in a 3 way. That just doesn't make sense to me. I realize Roberts isn't a FA at the end of the year but I still think OC is more valuable.

Now if the Sox were making two seperate deals (which could be the case based on some of the wording I saw) than I could see the Sox not having enough to get Roberts (especially if they are hesitant with giving up Fields).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
I understand that. The O's weren't going to be getting OC, but somehow there was talk that the Sox would have to give up more than OC in order to acquire Roberts in a 3 way. That just doesn't make sense to me. I realize Roberts isn't a FA at the end of the year but I still think OC is more valuable.

Now if the Sox were making two seperate deals (which could be the case based on some of the wording I saw) than I could see the Sox not having enough to get Roberts (especially if they are hesitant with giving up Fields).

I disagree with you. I think 220 games with Brian Roberts is definitely worth more than 60 games with OC.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
I disagree with you. I think 220 games with Brian Roberts is definitely worth more than 60 games with OC.

That's where the value lies. If this was before this season, then I could see OC and Roberts being similar in value, but right now, on the market, Roberts is definitely more valuable. If not for the simple fact that there would be more teams willing to acquire Roberts. OC is limited to only contending teams in need of a SS (which amounts to maybe a few teams).

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
The O's asking price Roberts is very big apparently, he is basically the "face of the franchise" after all.

Hence it's gonna be tough to get him, you'd have to give up at least 1 if not 2 good prospects along with OC to get him.

Is Orlando Hudson a FA after this season also FWIW?

OC, Fields, Richard, and somebody else? Where can I sign up?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
The unemployment list? Thats where Williams would have to sign up if he made that deal.

I thought you said Richard was capable of taking over the 5th spot(this of course before you saw him make an actual start)?

So you want to give up our starting SS who Jason is arguing should almost have equal value to Roberts, Fields, the Sox best prospect right now(I'm not counting Beckham), Richard, who we have covered, and someone else? For Brian Roberts?

It was a sarcastic post toward DHABO. He said we'd have to give up 1 or 2 prospects for Roberts, so I made a sarcastic point by saying if that's all it took, we'd have no trouble getting it done.

Maybe you should just put that in green for the future Brian.

But giving up a top SS (OC the best defensive SS in baseball this season apparently, and a pretty good leadoff hitter) plus argubly our top prospect who will probably fill a need next season just for a 2nd baseman / leadoff hitter, seems way too steep of a price for mine.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
Well Quentin had dominated in AAA, but injury problems hindered him obviously. Was he a stud at the end of last season? No, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten him so cheaply, but people who had followed him closely knew the potential for him was there to really produce in the right situation.

Cuban Ball is not similar talent to the MLB. It's AA ball (AAA at best), so you have to give some credit to Walker for how Alexei has done in his 1st season. How many international hitters have come into the league and hit over .300 in their 1st season?

Sounds as if you are just blaming Walker for everything, and not giving him any credit for when our hitters actually do produce because there's "other circumstances" for that.

I expect better from you Andrew. It was blatant sarcasm.

Obviously, it won't happen, but the whole idea of the 3 way would be for the significant prospects(s) going to Baltimore would be coming from the Dodgers. The White Sox could throw in a lower rated guy or 2. The reason the Sox could do this is because Ramirez is supposedly a better SS than 2B. If you look at range factor, zone rating and fielding pct. Roberts this year has been a better defensive 2b than Ramirez. So, I don't think you lose much, if anything defensively. You have a guy who is a better fit as a leadoff man, a spot where once again fathom pointed out when the leadoff guy struggles, so does the White Sox offense., and he's under control for 2009.If you think the White Sox should just go after Roberts in the offseason, I think trading Cabrera is trading 2 draft picks who you have to sign and develop vs. trading bonus already paid, established minor leaguers who have shown they have an excellent chance at a decent career. I'd give up the picks anytime. You'll also get picks when Roberts leaves, which could be around the time Beckham might be ready.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
The only value I see Cabrera has to the O's is the draft picks at the end of the season. The way I understood it, we would send the Dodgers Cabrera, the Dodgers would send over prospects to the O's, and we would get back Roberts(and probably send over a prospect of our own).

That would seem the most logical:

Sox get Roberts

Dodgers get Cabrera

Orioles get two prospects from both the White Sox and Dodgers

I wouldn't mind the Dodgers throwing in Chan Ho Park in that deal as well. A decent long reliever that can also spot start if someone goes down & has proven to pitch well in that role. It would be the Sox version of Chad Gaudin. Have no idea what his contract is though.

Just an update on the Cabrera/Dodgers stuff, from John Heyman at SI:

L.A. has been talking about bringing Cabrera back to that area, as first mentioned on Foxsports.com, and there would appear to be plenty of chance there for a deal since the White Sox are a rare team that's deep at shortstop -- if the Dodgers are capable of pulling a deal off, that is.

Cuban import Alexei Ramirez, who's showing some confused footwork at second base, is thought ready to man shortstop, giving the Sox unusual flexibility at a difficult position. It is believed the White Sox are targeting one or more of the talented Dodgers kids.

But the Dodgers, who at one time also showed interest in Sox third baseman Joe Crede, have been taking a hands-off approach on most of their prospects -- if not all of them. One executive who recently spoke to the Dodgers got the impression that not only are top young players like James Loney and Matt Kemp untouchable, but so are somewhat lesser talents such as Blake Dewitt and even Andy LaRoche, whose stock has been falling for many months in the eyes of some.

Word also has gotten around that the Dodgers have taken calls on free-agent-to-be Derek Lowe. However, a trade involving a standout pitcher like Lowe would likely leave them with a major rotation hole.

The reported talk of a trade that would bring Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano for Lowe and top young outfielder Kemp was shot down by those in the know. While some Dodgers people think Kemp still has some maturing to do, until further notice, I remain doubtful the Dodgers could execute a small deal, much less something that big.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ml?eref=writers