Chris Williams agrees to terms

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:35 PM)
Well Hester saw everyone else getting paid, doesn't he have to right to think he should get paid as well? Especially since he's easiest the best offensive player that they have.

sure he should get paid. But, why hold out? No one before him did. I agree, despite his rookie contract, he should get an extension and a raise. However, 6/45? Hopefully, JA let's him sit out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
According to Peter King's article earlier this week, prior to the Urlacher signing the Bears still had something like $12.3 million in cap space available this year, which is in the upper 1/3 of the NFL in available cap room.

Even after Urlacher and Williams, that should be enough to get something done. Unless he's demanding a $30 mil bonus or something crazy like that.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:52 AM)
Even after Urlacher and Williams, that should be enough to get something done. Unless he's demanding a $30 mil bonus or something crazy like that.

Bears are fine with salary cap space, always have been. They have enough money for an extension and they will do it, Hester is just trying to get as much as he can (he isn't worth upper-echelon #1 WR money yet though). I'm really seeing no reason to flip out about this yet.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
So Hester gets paid 445,000 a year, and is being fined 15,000 per day for missing training camp. So he basically has 33 days before he is broke.

Who do you think blinks first?

I'll bet Hester is making a lot more than that in endorsements.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
I'll bet Hester is making a lot more than that in endorsements.

Im sure he is, but still, nobody wants to just give away 445000 bucks. Im sure Hester wants to get this done quick

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
Im sure he is, but still, nobody wants to just give away 445000 bucks. Im sure Hester wants to get this done quick

The more important thing is the service time. Rotoworld's take:

This one's easy to see through; Hester is paying $15,000+ in daily fines and would lose a credited year by holding out past August 5, postponing his ability to hit unrestricted free agency in 2010. Hester's agent would be doing his client a huge disservice by letting him skip more than two weeks of work. Jul. 24 - 12:22 am et

There's no way he's risking that.

Basically, Hester doesn't have nearly as much leverage here as it sounds.

Hester's going to get paid... he needs to calm his ass down. Everyone else who needed to get paid did. Does he think Angelo isn't taking this seriously?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)

Would you give up half a million dollars to get say $10,000,000, or more? That is the way he is looking at it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Would you give up half a million dollars to get say $10,000,000, or more? That is the way he is looking at it.

He is going to get that regardless, so No I wouldnt give that money up because I would be getting it anyways.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
Every day that Hester misses, he diminishes his value to the Bears. There is no one on the team who needs more practice at his position than Hester.

Yeah, at the WR position maybe. But he will always be the most valuable kick/punt returner in the NFL, so it doesnt matter. He still has plenty of value in that respect.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
Every day that Hester misses, he diminishes his value to the Bears. There is no one on the team who needs more practice at his position than Hester.

I agree with this, but Hester still has the Bears right by the balls here. I guarantee he comes back with a nice new contract in the relatively near future. His value to this team can't be overstated since he's one of the very few players on it that can consistently get into the end zone. He knows that, and he knows the Bears offense right now is an embarassment and a joke. He also has seen everybody else get paid, so he wants his. I can't blame Hester, and he will end up getting paid big time in the very near future.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)

He needs as many reps as possible if he even wants to think about being a #1.

For comparison's sake, Steve Smith played WR in college and was more refined coming into the NFL whereas Hester was a raw athlete who didn't have any real position.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
Yeah, at the WR position maybe. But he will always be the most valuable kick/punt returner in the NFL, so it doesnt matter. He still has plenty of value in that respect.

Right, but the most valuable KR/PR will get paid less than the most valuable KR/PR + 2nd or 3rd WR.

Maybe if Hester actually learned the playbook at Miami he would have been a first rounder and wouldn't have these issues. Then again, if he would have been a 1st rounder, I doubt he'd be with the Bears right now.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
I will be absolutely shocked if Hester ends up as the #1 WR after the end of the preseason. 3rd or 4th I would expect

I'd put Rashied Davis ahead of Hester as a WR now and last year.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
So Hester gets paid 445,000 a year, and is being fined 15,000 per day for missing training camp. So he basically has 33 days before he is broke.

Who do you think blinks first?

Not to mention he probably bought himself a car, his mom a car, and his mom a house.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
I'd put Rashied Davis ahead of Hester as a WR now and last year.

I wouldn't. Davis is better fundamentally but he's got a ridiculous skill-set which enables him to get open with ease and make plays.