Uribe Not Going to Boston

Dick Allen

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
I didn't look into it but how does that work with compensation picks????????

I dunno but IIRC only the commissioner's office can approve trades and they don't approve trades for DL-ed players. Furcal would have to pass through waivers and then be dealt, but since he's a FA after the year and due compensation I'm sure he'd be claimed and then pulled back.

*edit: And that's just assuming Furcal comes back prior to the Aug 31 waiver deadline. If he can't come back by then he can't be traded at all.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
I also believe you can't trade guys on the DL

Is it disallowed, or just not often done? From Neyer's Transactions Primer:

Finally, sometimes "Player to be named later" is used to trade players on the Disabled List, since it can be embarrassing for a club to trade for a guy who's on the DL.

That makes it sound like it's allowed, just not 'cool'.

Wouldn't happen, anyway. The Dodgers would probably rather hold onto him on the off chance he comes back this year. (Iirc, he's vowed to play again this year, not that it means much.)

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Is it disallowed, or just not often done? From Neyer's Transactions Primer:

That makes it sound like it's allowed, just not 'cool'.

Wouldn't happen, anyway. The Dodgers would probably rather hold onto him on the off chance he comes back this year. (Iirc, he's vowed to play again this year, not that it means much.)

I think you have to wait until the player is off the DL. Hence, the PTBNL. I could be wrong, but I did read that once a long time ago.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
I didn't look into it but how does that work with compensation picks????????

The Elias rankings look at the last two years of play. Last year, Furcal wasn't very good, this year he won't accumulate many counting stats, so I wouldn't count on him being a Type A player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
I think you have to wait until the player is off the DL. Hence, the PTBNL. I could be wrong, but I did read that once a long time ago.

Yeah, you could be right, it could be even an 'implied' rule like Kenny Hates Prospects (who hates prospects :P ) suggested (ie, the commish just won't approve such trades). I just remembered that bit from Neyer's piece, so I wasn't sure.

i'm def in for Lowe over Count....

I just don't see Baltimore giving up Brian Roberts for anything less than the whole farm....they seem to have an infatuation with the guy (just like soxtalk) and I guess he has been the face of the franchise since his dominant season in I think it was '05...

I hope I am really suprised by the deadline but I don't see Kenny doing much

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:24 AM)
i know this looks good on paper, but i really really hope this doesnt disrupt chemistry on the team.

I agree and it seems like there is a lot of trade talk ideas out there for a first place team. The talk about OC going to the Dodgers makes you ask one question: why and for who? (Maybe that's two?) Maybe we should try and re-sign OC? Maybe we should keep Uribe?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
In what world does trading OC in a walk year translate to another team's young starting 3B, a star in the making OF'er or a top prospect? Oh that right, xbox world.

The bonus feature with Cabrera is his Class A free agent status. Those pics are worth something as well. I am not sure its as big as people think, but it does add to his value.

Lowe for OC would be a swap of impending Type A free agents, JC would need to be included because the Dodgers lack depth in the rotation.

The available pitchers are likely:

Harang CIN

Arroyo CIN

Oswalt HOU

Burnett TOR

Washburn SEA

Bedard SEA

Millwood TEX

Lowe LAD

Oswalt probably won't waive his NTC, Arroyo is not an improvement, Harang is having a bad year and has been hurt, Bedard is a head case, Burnett, Millwood, and Lowe would be options, and Burnett is probably the most attainable.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
The bonus feature with Cabrera is his Class A free agent status. Those pics are worth something as well. I am not sure its as big as people think, but it does add to his value.

And when you're a GM such as Ned Colletti who has given up Joel Guzman for Mark Hendrickson, then yeah I think something could happen here.

I actually don't think Alex Cora is that bad of a utility player. Yes he's not as good defensively as Uribe, but I like his offensive approach a whole lot better (even if he won't give you any power whatsoever, but we don't need that).

Maybe you just need another IF backup, but then you'd have to go with 11 pitchers.

But I do like the idea of an OC for LaRoche deal, but you'd have to find a 2nd baseman then, and I don't know if overpaying for Roberts is the way to go.

Would players such as Mark Ellis, Aaron Hill or Orlando Hudson be a better way to go possibly, or will the Sox just target Furcal in the off-season I wonder? His price will have gone down due to the injury I would imagine.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
Oswalt probably won't waive his NTC, Arroyo is not an improvement, Harang is having a bad year and has been hurt, Bedard is a head case, Burnett, Millwood, and Lowe would be options, and Burnett is probably the most attainable.

Arroyo's what 5-0 with a 2.3 ERA in his last 5 or 6 starts IIRC. He makes $23M over the next 2 years though.

Burnett's always got the option of opting out, and he's always been an injury risk so you could be stuck with him for 3 seasons at $12M a year.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
Oswalt is available,hasnt Ed Wade told you? they are competing! They got Randy Wolf!

You could probably get J.R Towles for Mike MacDougal also. I'm not kidding here.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Would players such as Mark Ellis, Aaron Hill or Orlando Hudson be a better way to go possibly, or will the Sox just target Furcal in the off-season I wonder? His price will have gone down due to the injury I would imagine.

Isnt he represented by Beelzebub Boras? If he is, that price aint comin down

Oh, well that ain't good if he is. He was probably my #1 target this off-season.

I just would have preferred the idea of signing him, instead of giving up my best trade chip and similar players for a similar lead off hitter who also plays in the middle infield.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
Also, I believe all Matt Kemp dreams can be put aside...not only do the Sox not need another outfielder, what with Quentin, Dye, Swisher, Anderson, and potentially Cook and Owens in the minors (and that's not including Wise, who wouldn't be a surprise on the bench next year), but there's bad blood between the Birmingham - who just so happens to be a minor league affiliate - and Matt Kemp. I don't ever see him playing in a White Sox uniform unless it's years from now.

Do you speak of Kemp's time in Jacksonville when he started brawls with the Barons when the Suns were blowing them out? I was there, he is a punk. Bad character guy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
Also, I believe all Matt Kemp dreams can be put aside...not only do the Sox not need another outfielder, what with Quentin, Dye, Swisher, Anderson, and potentially Cook and Owens in the minors (and that's not including Wise, who wouldn't be a surprise on the bench next year), but there's bad blood between the Birmingham - who just so happens to be a minor league affiliate - and Matt Kemp. I don't ever see him playing in a White Sox uniform unless it's years from now.

Great post, but I want to point out that the Sox seem frustrated with Konerko so you could arguably take Swisher out of that group. The inclusion of Cook, Anderson and Owens is a joke. None are major league starters (nor is Wise) so essentially you can say the Sox have 3 OF's capable of starting (Anderson/Swisher/Dye) however none of them are ideal CF'ers (Kemp is an upgrade in CF).

Again, the Kemp is a dream unless the Sox truly believe they will move Paulie (whether its selling him low right now to a team like the Dbacks whose looking for pop (apparently the Dbacks are waiting to get all over Tex from the Braves but who knows how steep that price will be) or in the off-season.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
OC for DeWitt and something elses can be worked out

id do that for sure ..

DeWitt is a former first round pick, but he doesn't have star potential. The Sox shouldn't deal OC unless they are getting an attractive piece for the new few years (one that hopefully has upside). I say that because worse case, the Sox have an attractive SS for the rest of the season on there roster and than 2 top picks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:20 AM)
I say LaRoche only because I don't think the organization needs another 2B prospect, nor do I think they need to spend a hefty price attempting to get one because finding an average to slightly above average 2Bman isn't that hard to do and the Sox have done it as well as any other organization; Ramirez, Iguchi, Uribe, Harris, Alomar, Jimenez, and Durham have all manned the position for roughly half a season to a full season for the Sox this decade and have, by and large, been atleast league average during their time at 2B. Getting a guy in LaRoche who has killed the ball at AAA in the PCL but has struggled in the majors - ala some dude named Quentin - for 3B this and next year would be absolutely wonderful. I have to imagine that's who KW is looking at from LA.

I think a Lowe and Laroche for OC deal would make sense for the most part. I happen to love the s*** out of Lowe, although there is no denying his numbers would increase a bit leaving the NL (and Chavez Ravine). Lowe is essentially a bit better version of Jon Garland (albeit older). The guy is due to be a FA so the Sox still would be talking about type A compensation (no way is Lowe anything but A compensation, unless Elias hammers him for not having a ton of wins (he's thrown a lot of innings and posted ERA's under 4 throughout his tenure in LA).

Essentially the Sox upgrade the rotation, get LaRochoe (thus making one of Fields/Laroche expandable in a trade for Roberts) and at the end of the day you'd say the lineup is better (Roberts is a better hitter than OC, albeit defensively you have to hope Ramirez is ready for SS).

The rotation is much upgraded (Lowe immediately joins Vaz/Buehrle as the front line starters which takes the pressure of Floyd/Danks).

However, do the Dodgers give up that much for help at SS (they are taking away from there rotation). If not, do they want Contreras because I would include Contreras in the deal if the Dodgers wanted him (again, I have no idea if they would actually want him).