Positive Paulie Thread

RockRaines

Well, let's be optimistic. Konerko is the worst everyday player in the MLB. There's nowhere to go but up!

And I honestly cannot wait for the White Sox to lose, as I've been rooting against them this whole year. I especially root against Vazquez, Konerko, and Swisher. Being right is definitely better than having a good team, as I'm sure most here would agree.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
If there ever was a guy that Sox fans should get behind and hope he improves it's Kong. He's been a decent, stand up guy, plays hard, has never in my memory embarassed the team. I'd rather be cheering for someone like that to get healthy and regain his form, then some of the other guys that have wore a Sox jersey.

Absolutely true. That said, when you start a "positive thread" about a guy who is making a ton of money and playing like absolute crap, you're almost looking for a fight.

I don't believe that anybody here would root against Paulie. That's just silly.

He sucks this season. We know it. Some of us love what he's done for the Sox in the past (like contribute heavily to a World Series title, something that does not occur in Chicago) and refuse to blast him for his current s***tiness. Shoot us, bury us. He has sucked all season. I know that. Oz knows that. Will he continue to suck all season? We shall see. I hope not.

If we're going to talk about Paulie every single moment, at least respond to Oz's comments in this article

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt30.article

Part One: "I've got to talk to him first,'' Guillen said of telling Konerko he may sit him. ''I'm not going to make a move without telling him what's on my mind. My question is, if I bench Paulie, who's on first?''

When the response was ''Swisher,'' Guillen said, ''And? [swisher's] .226 vs. [Konerko's] .213.''

Part Two: "Guillen was pushed on the issue of whether the team is better when Swisher is at first base and the platoon of Brian Anderson and Dewayne Wise is in center field. After all, when Konerko went on the disabled list in mid-June, the Sox went 13-7 without him.

''People say, 'Put Konerko on the bench, do this with Konerko, do that with Konerko,''' Guillen said. ''Who's going to play first? Swisher? Oh. Do me a favor, check the book first and check Swisher and Konerko's averages, and it's not that much different.

''But in the meanwhile, who do I got in center field, Brian? Hello. Wise? That's why people think it's easy to say, 'Make out the lineup, here's what it is.' I think P.K. needs rest, mentally. If we bench him for a while, just to give him rest, out of the game, just put stuff back together and take extra hitting and stick with one thing, that's the only way we're going to bench him.''

OZ is of the opinion Swish's offensive production hasn't been much better than Paulie's ... walks be damned.

At least comment on Ozzie's comments. I think they make perfect sense.

Edited by greg775

Ozzies comments do make sense. But you gotta admit that the team looked a hell of a lot better without Konerko. We looked like a real baseball team. We played defense and were faster on the basepaths. Runners were advancing and we were winning. That is important. We were 13-7 without paulie and 8-9 since his return. Obviously its time to go back to whatever was working. So what if Swish isn't hitting, for whatever reason that lineup seemed to work.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
Ozzies comments do make sense. But you gotta admit that the team looked a hell of a lot better without Konerko. We looked like a real baseball team. We played defense and were faster on the basepaths. Runners were advancing and we were winning. That is important. We were 13-7 without paulie and 8-9 since his return. Obviously its time to go back to whatever was working. So what if Swish isn't hitting, for whatever reason that lineup seemed to work.

Couldn't have anything to do with the pitching.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
If we're going to talk about Paulie every single moment, at least respond to Oz's comments in this article

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt30.article

Part One: "I've got to talk to him first,'' Guillen said of telling Konerko he may sit him. ''I'm not going to make a move without telling him what's on my mind. My question is, if I bench Paulie, who's on first?''

When the response was ''Swisher,'' Guillen said, ''And? [swisher's] .226 vs. [Konerko's] .213.''

Part Two: "Guillen was pushed on the issue of whether the team is better when Swisher is at first base and the platoon of Brian Anderson and Dewayne Wise is in center field. After all, when Konerko went on the disabled list in mid-June, the Sox went 13-7 without him.

''People say, 'Put Konerko on the bench, do this with Konerko, do that with Konerko,''' Guillen said. ''Who's going to play first? Swisher? Oh. Do me a favor, check the book first and check Swisher and Konerko's averages, and it's not that much different.

''But in the meanwhile, who do I got in center field, Brian? Hello. Wise? That's why people think it's easy to say, 'Make out the lineup, here's what it is.' I think P.K. needs rest, mentally. If we bench him for a while, just to give him rest, out of the game, just put stuff back together and take extra hitting and stick with one thing, that's the only way we're going to bench him.''

OZ is of the opinion Swish's offensive production hasn't been much better than Paulie's ... walks be damned.

When did you become Dick Allen lite?

At least he is literate and can read a thread title. Maybe you should.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 12:31 AM)

1.) At least Swisher is capable of playing a competent 1B, unlike Konerko who has seemingly forgotten how to play the position.

2.) Though you're actually replacing Konerko in the lineup with Anderson/Wise -- making the Swisher/Konerko comparison kind of silly -- Swisher has about a 100 point lead in OPS over Konerko this season. That's fairly substantial. You can't just look at AVG, otherwise by your logic Nick Swisher (.228) has been just about as valuable as Adam Dunn (.238) this season and that's not the case at all.

3.) Swisher can run a little, he's not fast or anything but he can move when he has to unlike Konerko.

4.) You'd be replacing Konerko with the likes of Anderson/Wise which in 189 ABs this season the 2 have produced a .249/.278/.444/.722 like w/ 5 SB and VASTLY improved defense in CF.

• 5 weeks later...

I was one of those who ripped Kong for his futile production for the first 4 months of the season, calling for him to be benched. Therefore I feel obliged to start an appreciation thread for him now that he's clearly turned it around in August:

.339 BA

.610 SLG

.500 OBP

1.110 OPS

4 HR (a wee bit low for him, but seems to be flashing more power lately)

Here's to Ozzie for sticking with him and PK for pulling out of it - would love to see this guy lead us down the stretch! :cheers :headbang

I'm happy he's turned it around and I was rooting for him to do so, and didn't bash him. However, I will not eat crow for wanting him to be benched. He sucked for an extended period of time and it was killing the team both offensively and defensively. It's totally understandable why so many people were upset. But from here through the rest of the season, none of that matters.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
yeah, he has turned things around. He still should have been benched back in July.

This is one of the great dilemmas in baseball. He was playing poorly so he should be benched. You cannot get out of a slump sitting on a bench. So, if you bench him July, you don't have him playing well now.