Two Cuban players defect in Edmonton

Cubano

These are two great prospects especially LHP Noel Argüelles. Noel is tall and has long arms. He throws 90 + MPH. He was the number one starter on this team. Both have experience in the cuban league. SS Juan Iglesias is a contact hitter and very good defensively. The ChiSox should go after LHP Noel Argüelles.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/story.ht...cc-9cf044bc6a98

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 07:25 AM)
Sign me up for Noel.

This guy is 17 or 18 years old. You feed him well and when he turns 20-21 he should be hitting 95 MPH. Also, in the USA players are taken care better as oppose as Cuba and Japan. In Cuba, they overuse pitchers. Cuban baseball minds had not have a chance of screwing him up yet.

Remember, right now there are three young cubans waiting to sign with somebody. They are good prospects though 3B or RF Dayan Viciedo is more developed than these two. Viciedo defected around two months ago. There is no issue with age here because they can not lie about their real age. Viciedo was in the junior team last year and was part of the cuban roster for the WBC # 1. He was there to get some grooming for future tournaments.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
This guy is 17 or 18 years old. You feed him well and when he turns 20-21 he should be hitting 95 MPH. Also, in the USA players are taken care better as oppose as Cuba and Japan. In Cuba, they overuse pitchers. Cuban baseball minds had not have a chance of screwing him up yet.

Remember, right now there are three young cubans waiting to sign with somebody. They are good prospects though 3B or RF Dayan Viciedo is more developed than these two. Viciedo defected around two months ago. There is no issue with age here because they can not lie about their real age. Viciedo was in the junior team last year and was part of the cuban roster for the WBC # 1. He was there to get some grooming for future tournaments.

The scouting reports on Viciedo are mixed. He supposedly has put on a lot of weight and will probably be a 1B/DH. I read one report were they feel he will have a Livan Hernandez body.

Interesting stuff. That lefty sounds like a nice projectable arm that I would love to get into the Sox farm system. Hopefully Cuban players have taken note to the success Contreras and Ramirez have had with the Sox and that this makes the Sox one of the front-runners to get Cuban defectors (or at least those that aren't looking to completely break the bank).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
The scouting reports on Viciedo are mixed. He supposedly has put on a lot of weight and will probably be a 1B/DH. I read one report were they feel he will have a Livan Hernandez body.

Scouting reports on cuban players do not seem to be really reliable or at least project all that accuratly. Although the Sox version of Omar Infante could be the exception to the rule.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
There is no issue with age here because they can not lie about their real age.

Could you comment a little more on this issue?

I'd like to hear your perspective on it.

Seems like the age-issue has developed its own mythology with many fans and it would be nice to know what is 'real'.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)

Seems like the age-issue has developed its own mythology with many fans and it would be nice to know what is 'real'.

The Age issue went away after 9/11 when the US cracked down on the fake birth certificates and that sort of stuff. The young players just can't get away with that phony documentation anymore, at least not when it comes to them playing professionally within the states (minor league or major league level). If they are playing in the Venezuelan leagues there is the possibility that they aren't the age they indicate.

Realistically the only players who could be of the wrong age are players who already were granted visas pre 9/11 (El Duque, Contreras, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
The Age issue went away after 9/11 when the US cracked down on the fake birth certificates and that sort of stuff. The young players just can't get away with that phony documentation anymore, at least not when it comes to them playing professionally within the states (minor league or major league level). If they are playing in the Venezuelan leagues there is the possibility that they aren't the age they indicate.

Realistically the only players who could be of the wrong age are players who already were granted visas pre 9/11 (El Duque, Contreras, etc).

While tougher, it still is not impossible. Plus, it is easy enough in Latin America countries, where mordida or "little bite" is a way of life, to bribe an official and have an altered birth certificate. Is it as bad as it was? No. It is way better. Would I accept absolutely their ages are correct? No.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
Funny we don't seem to mind these "illegal aliens". ;)

If they have enrty visas, they aren't "illegal". And they won't be playing for any ML organization if they do not have the proper paperwork. Now, these guys would be considered 'illegal' defectors in Cuba, but that's Cuba.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
Funny we don't seem to mind these "illegal aliens". ;)

Are you canadian?

They defected in Canada. By the way, there is a USA law called Cuban Adjustment Law. If you oppose this law, then you should call your US Congress representative.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Taking American jobs.... :lolhitting

You are right. However, the number of cubans taking american jobs in MLB is insignificant compared to other countries. In addition, other countries need MLB academies to form their own players taking more investments and jobs away from the USA. You can blame MLB for that. MLB can put the same academies in Washington D.C., NY, etc and form american players. Cuba has been able to form its own players before and after 1959.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)

Well when you have wasted your best years in Cuba and decided to defect at age 32, then you need to drop some years so that MLB teams pay more. Many cuban players wait too long to defect. El Duke, Contreras, Osvaldo Fernandez, etc. These youngters do not need to do that. MLB is paying more attention to cubans now. Also MLB can void contracts now based on lying about your age and players know this. The braves and the sox are two examples of teams that have relied on their own cuban players to get scouting reports on cuban defectors. C Brayan Pena put a good word for SS Yunel Escobar because they used to play together in the junior years in Havana.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:50 AM)
Are you canadian?

They defected in Canada. By the way, there is a USA law called Cuban Adjustment Law. If you oppose this law, then you should call your US Congress representative.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:54 AM)
You are right. However, the number of cubans taking american jobs in MLB is insignificant compared to other countries. In addition, other countries need MLB academies to form their own players taking more investments and jobs away from the USA. You can blame MLB for that. MLB can put the same academies in Washington D.C., NY, etc and form american players. Cuba has been able to form its own players before and after 1959.

I'm pretty sure they were both joking.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:50 AM)
Are you canadian?

Actually I favor equality in the law. Perhaps expand it to cover Mexico. You do not post in Filibuster, but I live on the Mexico border and favor making it easier for people to come here. I was tweaking a few noses of those who complain when a yardman or waiter "defects" but can't wait for a SP with a 95 MPH fastball to defect. :cheers

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
Actually I favor equality in the law. Perhaps expand it to cover Mexico. You do not post in Filibuster, but I live on the Mexico border and favor making it easier for people to come here. I was tweaking a few noses of those who complain when a yardman or waiter "defects" but can't wait for a SP with a 95 MPH fastball to defect. :cheers

As long as they do it legally, I have no problem with it.