Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
So this was asked before, but given that it's only noon-ish what are the odds Griffey plays tonight?

I would say no, I would love to see him play and I hope I am wrong, but thats my thought

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
Yeah, 670's only had Steve Stone on for the majority of the morning (including right now).

That guy doesn't know ANYTHING compared to Mark Silverman.

Please tell me I don't need green...

Give him a break. 95% of the time that station is garbage or commercials.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Please don't question my fandom. Its an argument you will lose. I'm saying Griffey isn't very good anymore. If he's playing CF think Carl Everett in 2003 and Rob Mackowiak in 2006, maybe slightly better.

If you read the context of my post, I am not questioning your fandom. I simply responded in similar fashion to what you said, questioning the fandom of anyone that is critical of Paul Konerko. So spare me the drama in making yourself some type of martyr for this discussion and Paul Konerko. Its a tired form of discussion and one that you, sir, will lose in the eyes of most posters.

Thome and Konerko both struggled early in the year...Thome has picked it up, Konerko hasn't. Griffey struggled in the beginning of the year and now Griffey has picked it up. Griffey is not as good as he was before (which was HOF-caliber) but he is still pretty decent...everything is relative to the person and how they have performed. We are not acquiring Everett or Mackowiak..those guys were never good defensive players...Griffey was the best and now he can be adequate but for the price, this is a good deal. Beyond that, Griffey's bat replacing Konerko's bat is a big upgrade.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
Yeah, 670's only had Steve Stone on for the majority of the morning (including right now).

That guy doesn't know ANYTHING compared to Mark Silverman.

Please tell me I don't need green...

you dont .. Silvy is one of my least favorite, always liked Carmen over him, Haugh is in for Waddell today so that makes up for it right :lolhitting

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
Yeah probably time to turn off the xboxes.

Wow, when did you come up with that one?

I've never heard a comment like that before, certainly haven't see one posted on soxtalk like that.

Why wouldn't Beane jump at the chance to get Swisher back. Swish, Poreda, and a throw in for Street and Duchscherer is a realistic possibility.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Someone should have started the post off saying that the Twins got Griffey Jr for a few pieces they didn't really need, and see how many people would be proclaiming them the next Central division champs.

Nice. And it's true.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
Beyond that, Griffey's bat replacing Konerko's bat is a big upgrade.

After checking, despite a non-career season at age 39, Griffey's still putting up a 103 OPS+. If nothing else, that's at least Average. Konerko's at 74. Swisher is at 98.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Someone should have started the post off saying that the Twins got Griffey Jr for a few pieces they didn't really need, and see how many people would be proclaiming them the next Central division champs.

I bet I could get called by the Twins tomorrow, spend a couple years in the minors, then get called up to play CF and bat .290 and kill the Sox.

I hate the Twins.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)

That would just put the twins in a better position to compete with us.

Seriously though, if they were planning on putting him in CF, I'd wonder if they weren't making a pretty big mistake, the kind of thing that might help us out. (OF course, they'd also be putting Griffey on turf, which is even stupider).

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
Wouldn't it be great to get Jr. a world series ring.

Will he go into the Hall Of Fame in a Sox uni if we get it for him? :lolhitting

I dont know what color i should put on that ...