Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Wow, when did you come up with that one?

I've never heard a comment like that before, certainly haven't see one posted on soxtalk like that.

Why wouldn't Beane jump at the chance to get Swisher back. Swish, Poreda, and a throw in for Street and Duchscherer is a realistic possibility.

Throwing in Poreda would make it a more real possibility. However, the original post insinuated Swish would be the only player of value in the trade, which is just fantasy.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
I bet I could get called by the Twins tomorrow, spend a couple years in the minors, then get called up to play CF and bat .290 and kill the Sox.

I hate the Twins.

And .400 against the Sox with a couple of diving catches.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Was Cinci at home? Because thats an awfully short flight to Minneapolis...

They were in Houston, Jr.'s last game for the Reds included a 3 run shot

I have questions as to how Griffey will handle CF, but having Anderson as a defensive backup should work out well. Griffey is a significant upgrade offensively over Konerko & SWISHER. Note that I include Swisher in the equation as I personally have no problem moving Swisher and staying with Konerko (this is if the Konerko is in fact 100% healthy).

That said, it sounds like Konerko will be benched for the time being. Still, I expect him to get some playing time since Griffey can't possibly be expected to play CF every day (ie, he'll need at least 1-2 games off a week). I assume Wise will be sent down with the Sox adding someone from the minors (or the trade market) to the pen.

In terms of what the Sox gave up. Masset is an arm I like but had little value to the Sox and really just needs a shot to pitch in a low pressure situation and get things figured out (that wasn't going to happen with the Sox). Richar is toolsy but I'm not saddened by his loss since I prefer Getz (who I believe is a much more intelligent and well rounded ball-player, although much less toolsy). I don't see the Reds interest in Richar unless they plan on moving him to SS.

In general neither Masset or Richar were what I'd consider "key" minor leaguers. Both were on the wrong end of the development curve (ie, mid 20's without yet establishing themselves in the bigs).

I also think the Sox could end up getting a comp pick out of this. At first I thought no, Sox wouldn't offer arbitration in fear of Griffey accepting, however, think about it. If the Sox make a couple moves which would basically block any spot where Ken could play, do you really think he'd accept arbitration (someone will at least offer him a 1yr 10M type of deal and I think he'd take that before he'd take going to arbitration on a team where he wouldn't be an everyday player).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
I have questions as to how Griffey will handle CF, but having Anderson as a defensive backup should work out well. Griffey is a significant upgrade offensively over Konerko & SWISHER. Note that I include Swisher in the equation as I personally have no problem moving Swisher and staying with Konerko (this is if the Konerko is in fact 100% healthy).

On this season, I'm really not sure about Griffey being a huge upgrade over Swisher. Griffey's numbers are only slighly above Swisher's when you factor in ballpark factor, and a decent chunk of that can probably be explained by "Which player is hot right now". We're talking an OPS+ of 104 for Griffey and 98 for Swisher, and Griffey's been hot while Swisher's been cold for the past 2 weeks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)

That said, it sounds like Konerko will be benched for the time being. Still, I expect him to get some playing time since Griffey can't possibly be expected to play CF every day (ie, he'll need at least 1-2 games off a week). I assume Wise will be sent down with the Sox adding someone from the minors (or the trade market) to the pen.

In terms of what the Sox gave up. Masset is an arm I like but had little value to the Sox and really just needs a shot to pitch in a low pressure situation and get things figured out (that wasn't going to happen with the Sox). Richar is toolsy but I'm not saddened by his loss since I prefer Getz (who I believe is a much more intelligent and well rounded ball-player, although much less toolsy). I don't see the Reds interest in Richar unless they plan on moving him to SS.

In general neither Masset or Richar were what I'd consider "key" minor leaguers. Both were on the wrong end of the development curve (ie, mid 20's without yet establishing themselves in the bigs).

I also think the Sox could end up getting a comp pick out of this. At first I thought no, Sox wouldn't offer arbitration in fear of Griffey accepting, however, think about it. If the Sox make a couple moves which would basically block any spot where Ken could play, do you really think he'd accept arbitration (someone will at least offer him a 1yr 10M type of deal and I think he'd take that before he'd take going to arbitration on a team where he wouldn't be an everyday player).

My question is, if Griffey really produces, is having him next year and perhaps beyond really a bad thing?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
Love this deal. Didn't give up anything imporant, plus could me less Konerko which is a great thing

Masset was close to DFA anyway, so he's not a loss and Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham and Getz killed Richar anyway, so they are giving up nothing for him in reality.

However, I think the team is much worse defensively with Griffey in CF and, believe it or not, at 1B, where I have long believed Paulie is plus defensively (fairly soft hands, good scoops, good decisionmaking). Probably worse defensively than they improve with Griffey over a slumping Konerko in the lineup.

I'd have probably passed on this deal. I'd have rather used Masset/Richar to get a Huston Street.

This is going to essentially end Paulie's season. Thome hits pretty well against lefties and I'm not sure I would take Thome out for Konerko against many of them. Since Paulie is fairly mental in his game, this could be a real crushing blow.

And even if Konerko gets on a hot streak.....ummm, Swish goes to the bench? How happy would Junior be going to the bench.

This is a very odd move, even if its essentially free.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)

Wise will have to clear waivers though, and you have to take in the possibility of someone taking him since hes a good player just off the bench.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
On this season, I'm really not sure about Griffey being a huge upgrade over Swisher. Griffey's numbers are only slighly above Swisher's when you factor in ballpark factor, and a decent chunk of that can probably be explained by "Which player is hot right now". We're talking an OPS+ of 104 for Griffey and 98 for Swisher, and Griffey's been hot while Swisher's been cold for the past 2 weeks.

Swisher technically only had one extended hot streak, aside from that he's been absolutely terrible. Griffey has been far more consistent and the only significant slump he had (IIRC) was the one which occurred when he was pressing for #600.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
Was Cinci at home? Because thats an awfully short flight to Minneapolis...

It's possible, but I'm not sure if you'll see him in uniform tonight. Not sure if the Sox would want him running around on the turf in MIN either. And for all we know, Griffey might still get dealt somewhere else in the next few hours.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)

Offenseively: (Griffey + Swish) > (Paulie + Swish)

And as previously stated, Swisher has been pretty bad outside of June. My only concern is Junior as a defensive liability in CF.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
Wise will have to clear waivers though, and you have to take in the possibility of someone taking him since hes a good player just off the bench.

I think he already cleared this season when they sent him down. I don't think he has to go through again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
Swisher technically only had one extended hot streak, aside from that he's been absolutely terrible. Griffey has been far more consistent and the only significant slump he had (IIRC) was the one which occurred when he was pressing for #600.

I don't think the numbers monthly back you up. They read to me as saying that Griffey's also only had one hot streak and it's just been the last couple weeks.

OPS By month:

April 768

May .696

June .795

July .921

(While he put up a .795 OPS in June, he also only hit .205 that month).

Pre all star, Griffey put up a pretty consistent .235, .348, .400, .748 plus or minus about 50 points of OPS. This month is currently the outlier. Let's hope he keeps up the 900 OPS the rest of the season, but I'm still concerned.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
Anyone watching the deadline special on ESPNNews?

Steve Phillips just said that the Sox added another lefty to a dominant left-handed lineup. Uh... what? And Kirkjian just called Nick "Massay".

I didn't know masset was french.

I'm looking at it this way:

Had Konerko not been injured (we're talking about a player who went to the DL for the 1st time in 11yrs. since he's been in the Majors) he would perhaps have a better season and there would be no need of having a Swisher/Konerko platoon at 1st base, leaving Nick at center. Swisher has had a below average season thus far, but it cannot be forgotten what he did when he was on top of that lineup. Basically what I'm getting to here is that if our players were a bit more fortunate we wouldn't have the need to acquire a 4th outfielder and Kenny would perhaps be more agressive towards acquiring a SP.

Griffey is an outstanding player, but he is past his prime. We're bringing in someone who has had issues in the past few years with injuries. I don't really see why there is the need to bring in a player who you'd have to keep an eye on everytime he is out there trying to make a highlight play.