Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

This Murph fellow really hurts my ears.

This move is low risk high reward all of the way.

Richar was without a position at AAA where was he going to play next year.

Massett was a DFA waiting to happen.

If Griffey blows out his knee getting off he plane what is the big deal.

Herm'll work his magic there is a nice rotation of vets everyone plays cards in the clubhouse....

Imagine the story if Thome and Griffey finally get their rings......Joe Buck just wet himself.

Also per ESPN the Sox are paying half of the remaining salary and half of the buyout.

Edited by Jenks Heat

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Your sound reasoning and well thought out logic would get you IP banned at a lot of places.

Paulie is going nowhere, as he should go nowhere. Griffey will NOT be on the 2009 Sox unless they keep him on to DH and let Thome go (I'd prefer Thome, he's kept his power better).

If you asked me for the BIGGEST benefit to this deal it would be the draft picks we'd get for Griffey when he signs somewhere else as a free agent. The Sox could conceivably get 6 supplemental picks next year - 2 for Cabrera, 2 for Griffey, 2 for Thome (if no option picked up). I'd say that would help the farm system, but I'm not high on the Sox's drafting.

Griffey wont be offered arbitration (at least he shouldnt be) but if he did he'd be Type B which means 1 pick. Thome's real close to having his option be automatically picked up so theres no way we get 6 picks. We'd be lucky to get 3.

People complain that Kenny never makes a move at the deadline (all I heard for the past week in the Trade Winds was this) and now that he actually does, people don't like it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Griffey fan, and his stats vs. the Twins and Tigers say a lot, it just seems like an old CFer is not quite what we neeed right now. Am I wrong?

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Your sound reasoning and well thought out logic would get you IP banned at a lot of places.

Paulie is going nowhere, as he should go nowhere. Griffey will NOT be on the 2009 Sox unless they keep him on to DH and let Thome go (I'd prefer Thome, he's kept his power better).

If you asked me for the BIGGEST benefit to this deal it would be the draft picks we'd get for Griffey when he signs somewhere else as a free agent. The Sox could conceivably get 6 supplemental picks next year - 2 for Cabrera, 2 for Griffey, 2 for Thome (if no option picked up). I'd say that would help the farm system, but I'm not high on the Sox's drafting.

Thome's option is likely going to vest and, with reports that the Phillies are still sending $5.5 mill over next year, it would be dumb to get rid of Thome when he's only going to cost you about $7.5 mill. Thome's going to be in a Sox uniform next year.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Griffey wont be offered arbitration (at least he shouldnt be) but if he did he'd be Type B which means 1 pick. Thome's real close to having his option be automatically picked up so theres no way we get 6 picks. We'd be lucky to get 3.

If Griffey is signed early, or the Sox reach an agreement with him to reject arbitration, that makes it possible to get the picks.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

MINNEAPOLIS -- Nick Masset woke up Thursday morning to the news of a potential major trade involving Ken Griffey, Jr. and the White Sox.

It wasn't until approximately 15 minutes later that the right-hander found out he was part of said deal.

"Kenny said he really had to make a move right now to get another bat in the lineup," Masset told MLB.com of his talk with White Sox general manager Ken Williams in regard to being part of the Griffey trade, which also sent infielder Danny Richar to the Reds, and is pending approval from the Commissioner's Office.

"He also told me how this helps me, giving me the opportunity to be a starter," Masset added. "He said that he put in some good words about me to the Reds. I really respect Kenny for that part. I think it's going to be a win-win situation for both teams."

Masset, 26, came to the White Sox as part of the Brandon McCarthy trade with Texas on Dec. 23, 2006. While John Danks was the cornerstone of this particular deal, Williams was just as excited to have added a plus-arm such as Masset's at the time.

Moving to the bullpen proved to be a tough adjustment for Masset, not unlike the pitcher for whom he was originally traded, as he posted a 2-3 record and 7.09 ERA in 2007. When rosters expanded last September, Masset was not called back to the Majors.

But he lost 25 pounds before coming into Spring Training, 2008, and had more life on his fastball. Masset served primarily as a middle reliever this season, with a few opportunities later in the game, and leaves the White Sox with a 1-0 record and 4.63 ERA in 44 2/3 innings.

In 59 games for the White Sox, Masset made two starts. One of those stood up as the lone victory for the South Siders over the Cubs in 2007.

"Ultimately, I think it's going to really open up my future as a starter," said Masset of the move to the Reds. "I'm really looking forward to being a starter, if that's where they want me to fit.

"That's something I always wanted to do, and I'm excited to head over to the National League. But I also have a lot of great friendships with the guys over here, and it's tough leaving a first place team in contention for the playoffs. It's tough leaving the White Sox."

As of noon, Masset had not heard from the Reds, but he did add one interesting twist from the trade. Masset's favorite baseball player to watch growing up was none other than Ken Griffey, Jr.

"Being a big leaguer for a little while now, you understand the business of the game," Masset said. "It's the way it goes, who fits in best in which role."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
If Griffey is signed early, or the Sox reach an agreement with him to reject arbitration, that makes it possible to get the picks.

Ok, but is he really going to be Type A? I dont feel like looking it up, but i'd have a hard time believing he would be. So assuming he is a B, that one pick to go with OCab's two would give us a shot at 3 picks, 4 if you assume Crede will maintain B status

Good stuff. Why not? Roll the dice and hope to catch Jr. Lightning in a bottle. He's old, it's taken him a while to heat up (just like Thome) and he's hot for the last month. If he breaks his leg tomorrow, oh well. We hardly gave up anything and we're right where we were. Plus it's insurance if any of Q, Swish, Dye, Thome, or Konk get injured. Strong presence in the lineup and clubhouse for the playoff push. He's gonna be pysched to be playing here and the guys are going to be psyched to play with Jr.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Even though he doesn't quite fit, I'm absolutely giddy that my all time favorite player is on the Sox. It's like a childhood dream being realized.

yeah me too, I read a lot of autobiographies on him when i was younger and He was just my favorite

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)

I can't see Griffey accepting arbitration if the writing is on the walls that he won't be playing with the Sox. Its not as if we'd be talking about a player who wouldn't get an offer from another team. Someone will offer him at least a one year deal.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
5 picks in the first and sandwhich rounds is not a bad place to be to restock (and that's where we sit right now).

I'm going to instead go with the top 3 rounds (you don't know who signs and whether you'll get 1st round picks or 2nd round picks depending on the order of the Type A/Type B FA's).

Sox own:

1st

2nd

3rd

OC - 2 picks

Crede - 1 pick

Uribe - Potentially 1 pick

Griffey - Potentially 1 to 2 picks (higher probability on 1 and even that is an if).

This would give the Sox between 6 & 9 picks within the 1st three rounds depending on how things work out. This assumes at the very least Crede/OC going elsewhere.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
5 picks in the first and sandwhich rounds is not a bad place to be to restock (and that's where we sit right now).

I'm going to instead go with the top 3 rounds (you don't know who signs and whether you'll get 1st round picks or 2nd round picks depending on the order of the Type A/Type B FA's).

Sox own:

1st

2nd

3rd

OC - 2 picks

Crede - 1 pick

Griffey - Potentially 1 to 2 picks (higher probability on 1 and even that is an if).

This would give the Sox between 6 & 9 picks within the 1st three rounds depending on how things work out. This assumes at the very least Crede/OC going elsewhere.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Also we've basically given up Brandon McCarthy (Danks + Masset) and Aaron Cunningham (Richar) for John Danks and Ken Griffey Jr.

That's some pretty good wheeling and dealing by KW.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Cunningham/McCarthy for Griffey/Danks?

LOL, beat me by that much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)

Sox own:

1st

2nd

3rd

OC - 2 picks

Crede - 1 pick

Griffey was an all star, hit 30 HRs and posted a .868 OPS last year so the Sox should get some compensation for him.

I'm still not quite sure about this deal. We didn't give up that much and Griffey is one of my all-time favorite players, but what are we going to do with him? I don't imagine we'd put Dye at 1B, bench PK and let Jr. play RF?