Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Why wouldn't it be? You put a future HOF in your lineup with some pop for pieces that weren't going to be here anyway? I don't know why everyone's crying about this. It gives us more options then we had at a very minimal price.

Putting him in CF is a huge mistake. I'm not crying about it, I just don't see why all the giddiness.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)
Anyone have a link to the full $$$ details of the trade?

We split the rest of his salary for this year, and the Reds pay the buyout correct?

Assuming Selig approved it yes. Griffey has roughly $4 million remaining for this season and a $4 million buyout (unless you want to pick up his option year). The Reds are paying 1/2 of that $4 million and paying the full buyout.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
Putting him in CF is a huge mistake. I'm not crying about it, I just don't see why all the giddiness.

Which is fine. There are some that are saying stupid things. Even keel, for me, is just about right. It gives us options we didn't have... and there's good and bad elements to it. That's how you roll the dice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
Assuming Selig approved it yes. Griffey has roughly $4 million remaining for this season and a $4 million buyout (unless you want to pick up his option year). The Reds are paying 1/2 of that $4 million and paying the full buyout.

On the Mack, Jurko, and Harry show they were saying the Sox are only on the hook for about $400k of his salary this year.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)

Link? I can't find anything confirming who is paying the buyout of $4mil

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
Collect the $50 from him, then take him out to dinner using the money. Will be the best $50 you ever spent.

Good idea YAS! I'll probably be flying back there in the next month or two.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
Which is fine. There are some that are saying stupid things. Even keel, for me, is just about right. It gives us options we didn't have... and there's good and bad elements to it. That's how you roll the dice.

That's the way I see it. Not giddy about, but hopeful it works out.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Getting something for nothing isnt necassarily bad.

And Griffey offers a little more than just something IMO

We got a below average player. that does not solve a need. He won't DH (Thome is already there) and it would be lunacy to suggest he go in RF or LF over arguably our two best players, leaving only CF as a viable option. If Konerko is shutdown for the year I guess Swisher takes his .229 average, 8 homers to 1st base and Griffey will take his .245 NL average and rapidly deteriating body out to CF. Sounds like a grand plan to me, not.

As far as the two guys we dealt, calling them nothing is absurd. NO, they aren't superstar stud prospects, but Massett was just being inquired about today by Texas, so they wanted to at least talk about him. Richar is still only 24 years old. I didn't think he was anything special when we got him and when I saw him to be honest, but he's still TBD on just how far he can go at the Major League level.

We've gone from getting players heading toward the downside of their careers to players who are clearly on the downside. Instead of trading for guys 2 years too late, now we're trading for them 7 years too late.

Sing the happy song all you want, but this trade is just funny to me.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)

True...all he is a Rent-a-Bat for a few months anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
I liked Richar a whole lot, as he showed last season that he could be a good 2B for a team with a bit of power and some OBP. His attitude may be the only thing that holds him back.

I was a Richar fan also and still am. We may well regret moving him at some point in the near future, although I'm not really sure what the Reds will do with him because they already have a 2b who seems to be pretty darn good and Richar defensively seemed to never adapt to the SS position in the D-Backs organization.

What I don't like about moving Richar is that it sets us up to wind up having to bring back either Uribe or Cabrera next year, because I'm not sure we'd be thrilled with an infield of Fields, Sex-God, Getz, Konerko/Swisher. The team must be pretty happy with what Getz has done this year to make that move.

But overall, it's a reasonable risk especially if we can work a draft pick out of the arbitration stuff at the end of the year. Masset was resuming his implosion in the bullpen, and he's being outpitched by Carrasco. Richar might have his stock go down further if he gets hurt again. We turned them in to a guy who can potentially provide some good offensive help if he keeps up the run he's on, gives us a better chance at a playoff run this year, does so at a price of $2 million, probably is a good ticket selling point, and hopefully brings us a sandwich pick at the end of the year. That's an ok gamble, especially if you throw in the draft pick.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
We got a below average player. that does not solve a need. He won't DH (Thome is already there) and it would be lunacy to suggest he go in RF or LF over arguably our two best players, leaving only CF as a viable option. If Konerko is shutdown for the year I guess Swisher takes his .229 average, 8 homers to 1st base and Griffey will take his .245 NL average and rapidly deteriating body out to CF. Sounds like a grand plan to me, not.

As far as the two guys we dealt, calling them nothing is absurd. NO, they aren't superstar stud prospects, but Massett was just being inquired about today by Texas, so they wanted to at least talk about him. Richar is still only 24 years old. I didn't think he was anything special when we got him and when I saw him to be honest, but he's still TBD on just how far he can go at the Major League level.

We've gone from getting players heading toward the downside of their careers to players who are clearly on the downside. Instead of trading for guys 2 years too late, now we're trading for them 7 years too late.

Sing the happy song all you want, but this trade is just funny to me.

Were richar or masset going to make a difference this year? Nope, none at all. If Griff goes on an insane run and helps us win, then great. If he doesn't, we didn't lose anything important to the team and it makes no difference.

Well, this trade should do wonders for drawing in the bandwagon fans. They'll turn on the TV and think, "OMG, we got Griffey" and probably buy his jersey; not knowing this may be his last season with the White Sox.

Also, on a more offensive note, it's good to have another brutha in the clubhouse. I know Joe Morgan agrees.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
Were richar or masset going to make a difference this year? Nope, none at all. If Griff goes on an insane run and helps us win, then great. If he doesn't, we didn't lose anything important to the team and it makes no difference.

Or if he doesn't perform and balls that should be caught drop in CF, he could ultimately cost the White Sox. I wish they had a better plan than Griffey in CF.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Well, this trade should do wonders for drawing in the bandwagon fans. They'll turn on the TV and think, "OMG, we got Griffey" and probably buy his jersey; not knowing this may be his last season with the White Sox.

Also, on a more offensive note, it's good to have another brutha in the clubhouse. I know Joe Morgan agrees.

s***, i will buy the jersey (tshirt one) just because he is my all-time favorite player.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Griffey was an all star, hit 30 HRs and posted a .868 OPS last year so the Sox should get some compensation for him.

I said maybe because you don't know if the Sox will offer him arbitration. If he does get offered arbitration I can see him being on less than a type B FA and I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a Type A (I expect a strong finish to the season for Griff).

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
We got a below average player. that does not solve a need. He won't DH (Thome is already there)

I think it's presumptive to say that Thome will have nary an injury the rest of this year. And I prefer Griffey to Konerko for his replacement if that were to happen.

You very easily raise the POSSIBILITY that Richar might turn into a decent pro, but you dont even acknowledge the MORE than possibility that Thome will have aches and pains throughout the rest of this year and may have to sit a bit.

With superstar-mentality guys, you have to factor in that they're not going to go all out for a middling team. My hunch is that's the case with Griffey. When motivated, and looking for a ring, I wouldnt be surprised to see an upward spike in production.

I'm as scared as anyone about him being in CF. I think in the end, however, they'll have a role for him that isnt that.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)

:unsure:

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
I think it's presumptive to say that Thome will have nary an injury the rest of this year. And I prefer Griffey to Konerko for his replacement if that were to happen.

You very easily raise the POSSIBILITY that Richar might turn into a decent pro, but you dont even acknowledge the MORE than possibility that Thome will have aches and pains throughout the rest of this year and may have to sit a bit.

With superstar-mentality guys, you have to factor in that they're not going to go all out for a middling team. My hunch is that's the case with Griffey. When motivated, and looking for a ring, I wouldnt be surprised to see an upward spike in production.

I'm as scared as anyone about him being in CF. I think in the end, however, they'll have a role for him that isnt that.

I would think Griffey has greater odds of being injured than any other White Sox.