Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
ESPN News its on...they are panning the sox using Grif in CF.

According to them the sox are possibly finishing the season in forth place behind the Royals. If you look at the comments before the season.

QUOTE (WinningUgly85 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
Now is the time to trade Konerko for more relievers. I say we get rid of Paule...TODAY! and quite frankly, I am tired of his slumps. Lets move Swisher to first and put Griffey in CF.

And other teams would want an overpaid player hitting .211 because???

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
And other teams would want an overpaid player hitting .211 because???

because according to ozzie hes a quite leader... :lolhitting. I never thought that we should have given him such a big contract after the WS but everyone would have been upset if we didn't resign him.

QUOTE (WinningUgly85 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
Now is the time to trade Konerko for more relievers. I say we get rid of Paule...TODAY! and quite frankly, I am tired of his slumps.

(1) Paulie hasn't hit all year and his playing through a minor injury. His trade value hasn't been this low since 2003.

(2) Paulie still has about $30 million left on his deal and it's unlikely that Kenny will eat any of it.

(3) Paulie has 5/10 rights and can veto a trade.

(4) The coaching staff and front office generally like Paulie.

Stranger things have happened, but I seriously doubt that Paulie will be dealt within the next two hours.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I went over this earlier in the shower this morning when I first heard. haha. Anyway.

3 Baines

30 Swish

33 Vazquez

24 Crede

42 Jackie

What does that leave? Swisher's got too much marketing tied up in Dirty 30 to give that up. Vaz could go back to his old 22 if Fields gave it up. Other than that, you start anew (Crede shouldn't switch numbers).

Here are my suggestions.

32 (BA would switch)

44 (Hall would switch)

43 (Wasserman would switch)

31 (Wise would switch)

My money's on #15.

I am trying to think back to 2005 when we were supposedly close to acquiring KGJ. Wasn't the discussion around here about how the Reds owner cancelled the deal right after their GM agreed to it, much to Griffey's displeasure. Something about the owner wanting the team to maintain maximum value before its pending sale? If that was any more than pure rumor, I wonder if any juicy details will come out now that Griffey is free...

SFF

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
(1) Paulie hasn't hit all year and his playing through a minor injury. His trade value hasn't been this low since 2003.

(2) Paulie still has about $30 million left on his deal and it's unlikely that Kenny will eat any of it.

(3) Paulie has 5/10 rights and can veto a trade.

(4) The coaching staff and front office generally like Paulie.

Stranger things have happened, but I seriously doubt that Paulie will be dealt within the next two hours.

Your sound reasoning and well thought out logic would get you IP banned at a lot of places.

Paulie is going nowhere, as he should go nowhere. Griffey will NOT be on the 2009 Sox unless they keep him on to DH and let Thome go (I'd prefer Thome, he's kept his power better).

If you asked me for the BIGGEST benefit to this deal it would be the draft picks we'd get for Griffey when he signs somewhere else as a free agent. The Sox could conceivably get 6 supplemental picks next year - 2 for Cabrera, 2 for Griffey, 2 for Thome (if no option picked up). I'd say that would help the farm system, but I'm not high on the Sox's drafting.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Your sound reasoning and well thought out logic would get you IP banned at a lot of places.

Paulie is going nowhere, as he should go nowhere. Griffey will NOT be on the 2009 Sox unless they keep him on to DH and let Thome go (I'd prefer Thome, he's kept his power better).

If you asked me for the BIGGEST benefit to this deal it would be the draft picks we'd get for Griffey when he signs somewhere else as a free agent. The Sox could conceivably get 6 supplemental picks next year - 2 for Cabrera, 2 for Griffey, 2 for Thome (if no option picked up). I'd say that would help the farm system, but I'm not high on the Sox's drafting.

The Sox would have to offer Griffey arbitration to get the draft picks though right?

We'd be crazy to offer him $12M next season.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
Just like Kenny to make deals around the deadline for players we have no need for.

People complain that Kenny never makes a move at the deadline (all I heard for the past week in the Trade Winds was this) and now that he actually does, people don't like it?

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)

Wow, that would be a quick way of refilling the minors.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
The Sox would have to offer Griffey arbitration to get the draft picks though right?

We'd be crazy to offer him $12M next season.

You are correct. However, ESPN has his salary at $8.5 million this season, which means you could offer him as low as 20% less than that ($6.9 million) in arbitration. I'd probably keep him around at $6.9 million. Plus he would not have 10+5 trade rights if he picked arbitration and could be traded...it's a no brainer that Griffey would reject arbitration.

His $4 million buyout makes his salary essentially $12 million this season, but would not count for arbitration purposes, I believe.