Sox to put in a claim for Washburn?

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team sources are saying that he has already cleared waivers, so no claim is necassary. Now its up to the teams to work out a deal

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mari...921_mari09.html

• Team sources have indicated that pitcher Jarrod Washburn cleared waivers and can now be traded without fear of a claim to block a move.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
Team sources are saying that he has already cleared waivers, so no claim is necassary. Now its up to the teams to work out a deal

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mari...921_mari09.html

I am only going off what was just said on Baseball tonight.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
What about Adrian Beltre?

If Beltre could get to the Sox on waivers, and if Mariners want something decent in return for Washburn, I'd much rather see the Sox do a deal where they get both players in a package. Losing good prospects wouldn't hurt as much knowing that we'd have a 3B under contract for '09 as well. I'd do Poreda + a couple pitching prospects (hopefully without including Griffith, Shirek, or Carter, but one would probably have to go) + all the throw-in guys like Cook, Owens, or Haeger the M's would want, but I doubt that would be enough. Richard, Broadway, and Egbert don't make it through waivers, and I wouldn't want to give up both Shelby and Poreda for those guys. Maybe there would be someone at the Class A level, besides Jose Martinez, who would interest Seattle.

That said, I doubt Beltre gets through because he's a guy that teams would be interested in and also know will be available.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
If Beltre could get to the Sox on waivers, and if Mariners want something decent in return for Washburn, I'd much rather see the Sox do a deal where they get both players in a package. Losing good prospects wouldn't hurt as much knowing that we'd have a 3B under contract for '09 as well. I'd do Poreda + a couple pitching prospects (hopefully without including Griffith, Shirek, or Carter, but one would probably have to go) + all the throw-in guys like Cook, Owens, or Haeger the M's would want, but I doubt that would be enough. Richard, Broadway, and Egbert don't make it through waivers, and I wouldn't want to give up both Shelby and Poreda for those guys. Maybe there would be someone at the Class A level, besides Jose Martinez, who would interest Seattle.

That said, I doubt Beltre gets through because he's a guy that teams would be interested in and also know will be available.

I like the way you think, but doubt that will be able to get done for both Beltre and Washburn. Jarrod doesn't excite me but what are our options, ya know?

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
I like the way you think, but doubt that will be able to get done for both Beltre and Washburn. Jarrod doesn't excite me but what are our options, ya know?

So Washburn's contract expires after 2009? Than i say lets pull the trigger. I like the fact that we'll finish the year with 3 lefties. His 4.79 ERA is nothing fancy, but its much better than having a revolving door at the 5th spot like we did in 2003 and 2004.

If we did get washburn we would probably just be getting the LH version of Contreras, at least in terms of ERA. Washburn is much better at holding runners on, albeit he is a lefty. AT USCF career Washburn is 3-4 with a 3.92 ERA and 1.11 WHIP, he has given up 11 HRs in about 60 IP. Thats the one thing to worry about with this guy at our park, if u equate that to 200 IP that would be about 37 HRs given up, not good. He would be another Gavin Floyd type, prone to the long ball in hitters parks like USCF, Ballpark at Arlington, etc. Though he would probably do well in places like DET and KC. All in all if we landed him I wouldn't expect anything better than around a .500 pitcher with a 4-4.5 ERA, not bad but not great either. The problem is anyone that trades for him is on the hook for 10.35M next year, and I dont think I would want this guy pitching 50% of his games at USCF.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
If we did get washburn we would probably just be getting the LH version of Contreras, at least in terms of ERA. Washburn is much better at holding runners on, albeit he is a lefty. AT USCF career Washburn is 3-4 with a 3.92 ERA and 1.11 WHIP, he has given up 11 HRs in about 60 IP. Thats the one thing to worry about with this guy at our park, if u equate that to 200 IP that would be about 37 HRs given up, not good. He would be another Gavin Floyd type, prone to the long ball in hitters parks like USCF, Ballpark at Arlington, etc. Though he would probably do well in places like DET and KC. All in all if we landed him I wouldn't expect anything better than around a .500 pitcher with a 4-4.5 ERA, not bad but not great either. The problem is anyone that trades for him is on the hook for 10.35M next year, and I dont think I would want this guy pitching 50% of his games at USCF.

And the flip side of that is that we get a veteran #5 pitcher next season as well, with minimum financial investment (in comparison to signing a FA in the off-season). We all know that Kenny isn't going to sign Sabathia and that there's nothing in our farm system that's ML-ready yet. Agreed that Byrd is the better option for this year alone, but Washburn might be the better overall investment.