Jordan Danks signs

southsider2k5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
I love Jordan Danks. He's a tremendous athlete and projects to be a great defensive outfielder. Offensively he could turn into a real nice #2 hitter (ie, .300 avg, 10-15 hr's, 20-30 SB's).

he could have better power than that if things go right....coming out of high school he was a HUGE prospect, and was considered to have very good power...i believe he took second and only lost by 1 HR to Justin upton in big scouting HR competition (with wood bats i believe)

The power potential is there, but I don't project him as a 30HR guy. I'd say at his best he would turn into a guy who hits 20-30 HR's but its more likely it would be a little less (but I see lots of extra base hits).

In fact, tools wise, I'd compare him a bit to Sizemore. No, I'm not saying he will be Sizemore but he reminds me of a young Sizemore in the sense of his "skill-set".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
The power potential is there, but I don't project him as a 30HR guy. I'd say at his best he would turn into a guy who hits 20-30 HR's but its more likely it would be a little less (but I see lots of extra base hits).

In fact, tools wise, I'd compare him a bit to Sizemore. No, I'm not saying he will be Sizemore but he reminds me of a young Sizemore in the sense of his "skill-set".

I read some scouting reports that compared him to Jacoby Ellsbury with more OBP and Power potential, does he have that kind of speed?

I just did a quick scan of CFs in MLB...

As far as I can tell, if Danks were playing for the Sox, at 6'5" he'd be the tallest CF in baseball.

In fact, my quick survey only turned up 3 starting CF's over 6'2":

Josh Hamilton (6'4")

Hunter Pence (6'4")

BJ Upton (6'3")

(Jordan is 1" taller than Ryan Sweeney and approximately the same weight.)

I'm not trying to imply anything by these comparisons, I just find them interesting.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
Jerry Owens is listed at 6'3" 195. His SLG at AAA this season? .316

If Danks turns out to have Owens-type power, that would be pretty sad.

I'm not suggesting he'll be a banger...

But given that he had over a .500 slugging percentage in college, I think he should have decent ability to drive the ball.

I'd be very happy if he turned out to be an above average doubles hitter.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
If Danks turns out to have Owens-type power, that would be pretty sad.

I'm not suggesting he'll be a banger...

But given that he had over a .500 slugging percentage in college, I think he should have decent ability to drive the ball.

I'd be very happy if he turned out to be an above average doubles hitter.

He should be a good gap to gap guy, but also great in CF defensively. Sounds alot like BA right? Well he should be a better hitter than him....i hope.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
He should be a good gap to gap guy, but also great in CF defensively. Sounds alot like BA right? Well he should be a better hitter than him....i hope.

BTW, congrats on your belief in John Danks last season being justified.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
I didn't say he couldn't have an opinion I was just asking what he was going by, If he's seen some scouting reports which completely take apart Danks' game and show why he'll never amount to anything, or if he's been watching him all year and knows his game well then fair enough, but if he's just pulling stuff out of his arse then it was really a pretty pointless statement.

There's a difference between an informed opinion on a subject and a pure guess.

It's based off scouting reports and stats. I kept track of him since his senior year of high school when the Sox tried to draft him, but ended up at Texas anyway. As a 7th round pick, he's not much of a reach and there are way worse picks that could be made(Like the Sox 2nd round pick), but the contract he was given was not that of a 7th rounder, as a pure guess. Therefore, overpaid as well.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
It's based off scouting reports and stats. I kept track of him since his senior year of high school when the Sox tried to draft him, but ended up at Texas anyway. As a 7th round pick, he's not much of a reach and there are way worse picks that could be made(Like the Sox 2nd round pick), but the contract he was given was not that of a 7th rounder, as a pure guess. Therefore, overpaid as well.

Stop yourself. To call him a reach in the 7th round proves you have zero baseball knowledge regarding this topic and are just bitter over something else. To say Danks isn't that good is one thing, but to call him a reach in the 7th round is just dead wrong.