What has happend to soxtalk???

soxbearsbulls

I don't post anywhere, but I read everywhere. I used to read you guys every single day and you were great. This board was incredibly active in 05, 06, 07. But what has happend in 08??? I also read whitesoxinteractive and they are like 10 times as big now. It used to be about even. Their post game threads normally have double digit pages, here sometimes there isent even a post game thread! This used to be the place to be for sox fans like me, i'm just dissapointed to see how far its fallen.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxbearsbulls @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
I don't post anywhere, but I read everywhere. I used to read you guys every single day and you were great. This board was incredibly active in 05, 06, 07. But what has happend in 08??? I also read whitesoxinteractive and they are like 10 times as big now. It used to be about even. Their post game threads normally have double digit pages, here sometimes there isent even a post game thread! This used to be the place to be for sox fans like me, i'm just dissapointed to see how far its fallen.

The guy with 3 posts since 2006 is giving critique on how we dont have enough posts after a game, well thats rich.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
The guy with 3 posts since 2006 is giving critique on how we dont have enough posts after a game, well thats rich.

And now that one of his rare posts has been criticized, the trend will likely continue.

It's all about personal preference. I tried posting there a couple of times but it sometimes seemed the moderators there will attack you and enlist surrogates to attack in packs if you disagree with anything they say. I never liked the feeling that I had to agree with posters or I would be threatened/banned/exiled. I remember saying it was kind of like the Gestapo (of course, that went over well!)...so I asked to be banned because there are other places (like here or even the mess that is the official website) for Sox fans to post.

I also think there were a ton of bandwagon fans that were around in 05 and 06 and disappeared after last year...they're still skeptical and waiting for the other shoe to drop wit this year's team. Realistically, you also have to look at the Cubs' resurgence and the fact many of those "marginal" fans probably have jumped over to that bandwagon. But hey, it's okay with me, there are still enough interesting/intelligent posters that it's worthwhile.

I also noticed on their gamethreads over there that anyone who was critical (I remember the second half of 06 specifically) and wasn't believing that the White Sox were still the greatest team in the world and were going to somehow rally when they looked dead were always attacked as being "Dark Clouds" or whatever. Well, I'm a realist/pragmatist and sometimes, Sox fans have a way of whining/griping, maybe it's just our nature and also because we tend to have a chip on our shoulder/s, whether it's about the South Side's "reputation," the "dominance" of the Cubs' brand name, the more whole "blue collar" versus "white collar" thing, not sure what it is.

Just my thoughts.

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
I tried to go to WSI when I got suspended here and felt it was unfair. I hated it. Disagree with a mod there and they'll have a heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack and delete your posts.

It's not only that, it's the "private messages" and threatening to ban you or "warnings" that are so ridiculous. I am the same poster I was there, yet I've never really had a problem with another post or mod here, I have had no interaction with them at all. Maybe because the mods there are so overly active or hyper, that's why the site seems so active, I'm not sure. All I know is that my friend and I are both lifelong Sox fans and we couldn't survive there for very long. When I tried to defend my friend from attack, then I was also deemed a "Public Enemy," lol.

I also bet the post-game threads are longer over there for a White Sox loss than for a win...it's the nature of the messageboard/blog world.

Edited by caulfield12

i know when i first joined soxtalk it was pretty unique...didnt see much of these types around...now in the days of blogs everywhere i think some people have gone elsewhere to fufill their sports fix...but i think soxtalk has retained a solid core of posters, and frankly, i think it has improved...

not sure if the mods just are better at cleaning it up, but it seems like the trade winds are far superior...seemed like eveyrthing this year was at least a moderately substantial rumor and wasnt stupid posts like "my ideas on how we can get pujols!"

that said i do think there are certain high profile , high post count posters, who do tend to drive new posters away with a kind of pompous attitude...but thats to be expected i suppose

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Well I'll comment on this thread a little later, but I want to add that I and the rest of the mods/admins are always here if people have concerns or have ideas to make things better.

What I said about not interacting with the moderators, I meant that in a positive way, actually.

Mods should be like "referees" or "umpires," if they're doing a good job, you don't notice them. However, if the mods are there just to praise themselves, to pat themselves on the back or to put down posters they disagree with...it takes away from any website IMO.

Of course, most websites are "private property" and inevitably "freedom of speech" issues come up...I just feel a lot more comfortable and at ease here compared to wsi. Boards fluctuate in activity all the time, based on the time of year, if it's the weekend, the opponent in that particular game...whether school is in session or not. I think there are more young posters here (compared to WSI), and August is everyone's vacation month, before school/university starts again.

There are some posters over there that have a tremendous knowledge of Sox past and history, like Mark L. That guy is everywhere...when I read game stories at chicagosports.com, inevitably the postgame threads include one of his quotes. I do like a lot of the posters over there, they're very knowledgeable, I just have issues with the way the site is administered. Of course, it's a "free world" and it's all about competition and supply and demand...when things tilt too much in one direction...they will inevitably shift back and more posters will be here. It's cyclical.

I started a game thread for Saturday's game at about midnight on Friday Night/Saturday morning. Why was it deleted by a mod/admin? I always thought that anyone could start game threads here. Did I open it too early or something? There was nothing else wrong with it. All I said was "this is my first game thread. :gosox3:" or something like that.

This is and will always be a better site to post and read anything about the sox and the minors....

i have came back once in a while and post, but in reallity i have extremely too busy to keep on posting. with that said, when i did post a few newbies came on me, but the old-timers told them i was an old timer as well. i still read everything i can the soxs and with out this site, i will be lost. it keeps me up to date on everything....

so keep up the good work guys.... with the summer games going on the everything else going on, this is a slow time....

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
This is and will always be a better site to post and read anything about the sox and the minors....

i have came back once in a while and post, but in reallity i have extremely too busy to keep on posting. with that said, when i did post a few newbies came on me, but the old-timers told them i was an old timer as well. i still read everything i can the soxs and with out this site, i will be lost. it keeps me up to date on everything....

so keep up the good work guys.... with the summer games going on the everything else going on, this is a slow time....

That is absolutely disgusting

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
That is absolutely disgusting

"Happy endings" and now this in one week, what's next?

I was kind of laughing about that, because in Thailand and the Philippines (where I have been living and teaching this year), it's hard to find a massage place that doesn't offer "additional services" as they call it here.

It's kind of unfair to both sites to compare them against each other.

There's a different approach to each site, and I think each site takes the approach that's right for them.

It seems to me that WSI wants to be the site that gets referred to in mainstream media, and that's fine, I personally don't care about that one iota.

It's up to each individual poster to decide if they want to be there, obviously.

I like both, but I prefer Soxtalk, as my post counts will attest.

QUOTE (soxbearsbulls @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)

The site is more active when there are things to b**** about.

I stay away more and more because of the irrationality of the game threads and threads after losses.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
The site is more active when there are things to b**** about.

I stay away more and more because of the irrationality of the game threads and threads after losses.

Games KGJ in CF=3 Games in CF until KGJ is on DL=11

I hate the negativity also :P