McCain chooses Palin for VP

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
dude not even close. Obama has tons more "experience" and most importantly, relevant experience than Palin does. On top of it, how much does Alaska represent the national landscape. I'd say that Illinois has a little bit of everything in it.

Big Cities, Rural Farmlands, Manufacturing, Financial, etc.

OK wait... relevant experience? She's been an executive, Barack has not. I'm not saying I like the move for Palin here, but, to say that Obama's experience is more "relevant" is just wrong on its face.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
How many electroral votes do they have? Can't be more than 3. It could happen, but I doubt the difference in the election is within 6 electoral votes.

as much as people talk about FLA, it was Gore's loss in RI in 2000 that could've won him the election.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Some of the same people here who laughed at the concerns over the lack of experience for Obama, are the same one hammering it home here.

How can it be worse to be #2 and inexperienced, versus #1 and inexperienced???

Anyways, with the amount of advisors and cabinets and the like, experience is pretty overrated anymore. In this day and age, the President is pretty much a figurehead anyway.

I'm not hammering it home at all... I'm just kind of puzzled, because it really dampens the effectiveness of the "experience" card if the VP you pick is even more "inexperienced" than the one you're calling out.

dude not even close. Obama has tons more "experience" and most importantly, relevant experience than Palin does. On top of it, how much does Alaska represent the national landscape. I'd say that Illinois has a little bit of everything in it.

What "relevant" executive experience does he have? I don't think Obama has even managed a little league team.

It's kind of irrelevant really.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
OK wait... relevant experience? She's been an executive, Barack has not. I'm not saying I like the move for Palin here, but, to say that Obama's experience is more "relevant" is just wrong on its face.

if it was a state like Michigan (Romney) Pennsylvania (Ridge), etc I couldn't agree with you more. But Alaska???

Plus 1.5 yrs as Governor vs 4 yrs as Senator? we'll call the Barney Fife city mayor and state senator as a wash.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
When the #1 is a soon-to-be-73 year old, cancer survivor with a medical history like 600 pages long for the last 10 years.

Nonetheless, I find her much less experienced than Obama. She wasn't governor of Texas, she was governor for 1 and a 1/2 years of a tiny state in terms of population facing few of the problems that larger states face because of their population. Before that she was mayor of a relatively small town.

Still she could be the President, he would be the President. There is a big difference there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
What "relevant" executive experience does he have? I don't think Obama has even managed a little league team.

Obama held assignments on the Senate Committees for Foreign Relations, Environment and Public Works and Veterans' Affairs through December 2006.[68] In January 2007, he left the Environment and Public Works committee and took additional assignments with Health, Education, Labor and Pensions and Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.[69] He also became Chairman of the Senate's subcommittee on European Affairs.[70] As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Obama has made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and Africa.

I can say this: before the speech, MSNBC was talking about how crazy a move this was and how she could blow it. After the speech, suddenly they talking like it might work in their favor.

Her speech at the convention will be highly anticipated, but I think she stepped up today.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
so joe biden and sarah palin roll into a uaw plant in Flint, MI... who do the workers connect with more?

It may be, "well, Biden seems like an appropriate VP candidate; but I'm not voting for some black guy who sounds like a terrorist!" Just as it could easily be, "well, Palin is a woman and could go on her period in office; but McCain seems like an appropriate presidential candidate."

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I can say this: before the speech, MSNBC was talking about how crazy a move this was and how she could blow it. After the speech, suddenly they talking like it might work in their favor.

Her speech at the convention will be highly anticipated, but I think she stepped up today.

What did she talk about?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
Obama held assignments on the Senate Committees for Foreign Relations, Environment and Public Works and Veterans' Affairs through December 2006.[68] In January 2007, he left the Environment and Public Works committee and took additional assignments with Health, Education, Labor and Pensions and Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.[69] He also became Chairman of the Senate's subcommittee on European Affairs.[70] As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Obama has made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and Africa.

None of that is still executive experience. He still reported to other people in those roles.

Anyway, like I said, the experience arguements are worthless. They really aren't going to be running things by themselves anyway.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
It may be, "well, Biden seems like an appropriate VP candidate; but I'm not voting for some black guy who sounds like a terrorist!" Just as it could easily be, "well, Palin is a woman and could go on her period in office; but McCain seems like an appropriate presidential candidate."

Auto workers? They are all over the hot chick.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
What did she talk about?

She started by talking about her family, but, relevantly...

She talked about her fights against over spending and quite a bit about oil. She also thanked Ferraro and Hillary for breaking ground for her, which was interesting.

There wasn't a lot of substance, really, but that's expected. However, she spoke very well and with force. She's probably a better speaker than Hillary (though this was only one speech), and she comes off as honest (though we know nothing about her).

For what this speech was, I thought she did a nice job.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
She started by talking about her family, but, relevantly...

She talked about her fights against over spending and quite a bit about oil. She also thanked Ferraro and Hillary for breaking ground for her, which was interesting.

There wasn't a lot of substance, really, but that's expected. However, she spoke very well and with force. She's probably a better speaker than Hillary (though this was only one speech), and she comes off as honest (though we know nothing about her).

For what this speech was, I thought she did a nice job.

More honest than a Clinton, that isn't saying much... :lol:

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
I'm not hammering it home at all... I'm just kind of puzzled, because it really dampens the effectiveness of the "experience" card if the VP you pick is even more "inexperienced" than the one you're calling out.

Again, it's obvious Republican strategists realized the inexperience card didn't matter with voters. I'm sure they didn't just forget about it nominating Palin.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
Auto workers? They are all over the hot chick.

I suppose it's a possibility that the rise in their pants is more important than putting food on their tables these days. Slim to none, but alas, a possibility.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
Again, it's obvious Republican strategists realized the inexperience card didn't matter with voters. I'm sure they didn't just forget about it nominating Palin.

It matters to many - its just not black and white, on and off. Its relevant to some, to varying extents.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
More honest than a Clinton, that isn't saying much... :lol:

With analysis like that I can never be wrong!

But that's not what I meant. I meant honest in general.

Rahm Emanuel piles on:

After trying to make experience the issue of this campaign, John McCain celebrated his 72nd birthday by appointing a former small town mayor and brand new Governor as his Vice Presidential nominee. Is this really who the Republican Party wants to be one heartbeat away from the Presidency? Given Sarah Palin's lack of experience on every front and on nearly every issue, this Vice Presidential pick doesn't show judgement: it shows political panic.

no it isn't irrelevant. Frankly I'm not impressed by being governor of Alaska for 1.5 years and already getting caught in a scandal. Alaska has 2/3 of a million people. That's it. They are a sparsely populated area. They have like none of the problems most states have. They have a weak state government with not much to do. Does anyone know what Alaska's state legislature is like? Is it like Georgia and she can do whatever she wants, or are they powerful and give her a semblence of what it would be like to work with a powerful legislative body? Before that she was a mayor of a town of 5,000 people. Safetytown's have more people than that.

Say you want about Obama, but working in the U.S. legislative body gives lots of experience. LBJ's knowledge of the congress was instrumental in him pushing through all of his initiatives. This whole "executive" experience thing is a fairly new phenomenon, although not that senate has ever been a popular jumpoff to pres, we've had great presidents that were senators. Frankly, being a U.S. senator is far better experience in running this country than mayor of Alaska or Rhode Island. Her education, poor. She has a undergrad degree in journalism. Obama has a law degree from harvard and served as the law reviews president. She has a freaking journalism degree from IDAHO! IDAHO! Please don't act like there are no discrepencies between these two's experience.