Leader or Manager

Texsox

Comparing the two candidates it occurred to me that Obama is probably the better motivational leader. Young, charismatic, good orator, has a vision and can "sell that vision".

McCain seems the better manager. More experiences to draw on, confident, knows when to compromise.

Thoughts?

I would argue... surprise, surprise... that Obama is the better leader AND manager.

I want a president who is both. The president needs to be able to see the whole picture. Top to bottom, left to right, all the way around. A person like that needs to be smart. But it's not "cool" to elect a pocket protector geek to be president.

Most people say obama is a great orator but an empty suit. I argue he can see the whole picture better than most in recent history. but he doesnt give off that "pocket protector" persona because he is such a good speaker.

But you also need a leader. Someone who can motivate a country. Bush had the opportunity and failed to wield it properly. I have said for a long time, Obama can motivate me to serve my country or sacrifice for the better food. John McCain couldn't motivate me to move my car because I'm blocking him in at a dinner party.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

If we are talking about who is a better manager, then look at how they went about choosing a VP. Not WHO they picked, but their methodology. Obama's campaign handled things much better and more thoroughly, it appears, than McCain did.

I actually think McCain and Obama are about on par with each other as leaders, but Obama seems to have better management skills.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
If we are talking about who is a better manager, then look at how they went about choosing a VP. Not WHO they picked, but their methodology. Obama's campaign handled things much better and more thoroughly, it appears, than McCain did.

I actually think McCain and Obama are about on par with each other as leaders, but Obama seems to have better management skills.

Barack Obama SCHOOLED the Clinton political machine. That alone is a huge mark on how good of a manager Obama is.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Barack Obama SCHOOLED the Clinton political machine. That alone is a huge mark on how good of a manager Obama is.

A little over the top, but yes, I'd agree that his campaign's primary success is definitely an indicator of his management skills.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Comparing the two candidates it occurred to me that Obama is probably the better motivational leader. Young, charismatic, good orator, has a vision and can "sell that vision".

McCain seems the better manager. More experiences to draw on, confident, knows when to compromise.

Thoughts?

Honest question: why do you think McCain knows when to compromise? I feel like that kind of goes against the maverick stuff you hear about him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
I thought Bush was a really good leader at first and then he completely blew it. He's been 2 different presidents since he's had to deal with a Democratic majority.

So wait, help me understand this...are you saying he's become a worse leader since 2007 started and was never a good manager?

QUOTE (Soxy @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Honest question: why do you think McCain knows when to compromise? I feel like that kind of goes against the maverick stuff you hear about him.

He wont compromise on the "Gang of 10" Energy bill because of tax increases on big oil. But Obama is willing to go against his personal belief that off-shore drilling wont help.

Who is the one willing to comprimise?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
So wait, help me understand this...are you saying he's become a worse leader since 2007 started and was never a good manager?

He came out of the gate strong with his response to 9-11, and had unity at his back, and then it all came apart with the way the leading up to and invasion of Iraq was handled. Then during that time he had a GOP-controlled Congress, and he was walking and talking like a tough guy, his tone was always "yeah, and what are you going to do about it, you can't stop me?" Nothing was there to balance him out, and he got really cocky. Then in the 2006 mid-term elections the nation sent him a loud and clear message that he was going about it all wrong. Since 2007 he's been a lot more subdued, careful, and willing to compromise because he has no choice.

I would say that ordinarily he'd have been a decent manager, but he had a lot of trash in his first administration that weighed him down.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
He wont compromise on the "Gang of 10" Energy bill because of tax increases on big oil. But Obama is willing to go against his personal belief that off-shore drilling wont help.

Who is the one willing to comprimise?

McCain is famous for his compromises. The only thing that changed Obama's view on drilling was the polls changed to say that people now supported drilling. I'll bet if gas prices start to fall again, his opposition to drilling will firm up again. Obama did the same dance about getting our troops out of Iraq.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 06:59 AM)
I would argue... surprise, surprise... that Obama is the better leader AND manager.

I want a president who is both. The president needs to be able to see the whole picture. Top to bottom, left to right, all the way around. A person like that needs to be smart. But it's not "cool" to elect a pocket protector geek to be president.

Most people say obama is a great orator but an empty suit. I argue he can see the whole picture better than most in recent history. but he doesnt give off that "pocket protector" persona because he is such a good speaker.

But you also need a leader. Someone who can motivate a country. Bush had the opportunity and failed to wield it properly. I have said for a long time, Obama can motivate me to serve my country or sacrifice for the better food. John McCain couldn't motivate me to move my car because I'm blocking him in at a dinner party.

I'm still waiting to see what your using to back Obama as a better manager. What sort of experience or real life examples are going to back that? I continue to see you talk about him as a motivator. Maybe we should elect Tony Robins to be president?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
I thought Bush was a really good leader at first and then he completely blew it. He's been 2 different presidents since he's had to deal with a Democratic majority.

I don't really see how people can't commend Bush for his leadership during September 11th. I understand people will make fun of him for the initial reaction (when he was in a Florida elementary school) but bottom line he was a big reason the US united together strongly during one of the tougher times our country has ever faced. In fact, I think long-term, Bush will go down as a president renown for doing some tremendous things, but also for doing some things that may look like epic disasters.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:37 AM)

Couldn't you make a case that McCain was a far greater underdog than that of Obama? I wasn't giving McCain much of a chance against Romney, nor was America. Somehow McCain grinded through it and was the last man standing. I think many gave Clinton a slight edge but I don't think anyone would have been shocked if Obama became the running mate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
McCain is famous for his compromises. The only thing that changed Obama's view on drilling was the polls changed to say that people now supported drilling. I'll bet if gas prices start to fall again, his opposition to drilling will firm up again. Obama did the same dance about getting our troops out of Iraq.

McCain did basically the exact same thing didn't he? Wasn't he against drilling before?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
I'm still waiting to see what your using to back Obama as a better manager. What sort of experience or real life examples are going to back that? I continue to see you talk about him as a motivator. Maybe we should elect Tony Robins to be president?

RICHARD SIMMONS!! With a much thinner country, think of how much we could save on health care!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)
The point was that Obama was willing to compromise. I guess if McCain flip-flopped too, that makes him a great compromiser as well!

Or a flip-flopper, depending on which side you support.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)

Well, wasn't Reagan called the "Great Communicator?" Nothing wrong with motivating people. You know why? Because people tend to do things when you motivate them. That's called managing. At least last time I checked.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 04:26 AM)
When I hear manage, I just keep thinking I don't want to elect the Kyle Orton of Presidents. (Orton being the "game manager")

I want the Rex Grossman. (seriously I love Rexy, stay strong Rex)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
I don't really see how people can't commend Bush for his leadership during September 11th. I understand people will make fun of him for the initial reaction (when he was in a Florida elementary school) but bottom line he was a big reason the US united together strongly during one of the tougher times our country has ever faced. In fact, I think long-term, Bush will go down as a president renown for doing some tremendous things, but also for doing some things that may look like epic disasters.

What the hell did he do that any other president would not have? It's not like if it was Gore he would have cried on national TV saying its all over...we are screwed.

Interesting way to look at this... We actually had a discussion in my Business Administration class yesterday on whether it would be better to have a great leader for a boss or a great manager, and the class definitely went for Leader. However, being a leader is far more than giving good speeches and rallying people to action, which is what I feel some of you are associating being a leader with.

Sometimes the best leaders just lead by example. Take Derek Jeter, for example. He's not a "rah rah, we're gonna go kick their ass" type of guy, but he's still the leader of the Yankees. He just goes out there, plays his ass off, and does his thing, and all the players respect the hell out of him for it. In the same way, I'm not sure McCain would ever have to go out and give some amazing speech to motivate the U.S. people. I think he could just simply do it by being himself and doing a damn good job as President.

Now, I'm not saying that means McCain is the better leader, b/c lord knows Obama can give one hell of a speech which does have an effect on people, but I'm not sure it's as clear-cut as some think. Just trying to point out there's no easy answer to this question, but it is a good question to answer.

Edited by dasox24