BA on Beckham

Soxfest

Credit to Baseball America

Will the White Sox keep Gordon Beckham at shortstop or move him to second base? How soon do you think it will take him to reach the major leagues? How much will he hit, and how good will he be defensively?

Robert Barker

Athens, Texas

The White Sox plan on keeping Beckham at shortstop for the immediate future. He'll also see time at second and third base in the Arizona Fall League, but that's because he signed too late for Chicago to request a priority roster spot for Beckham on the Peoria Saguaros. It appears that Ian Desmond of the Nationals will get the bulk of the starts at shortstop for the Saguaros.

Beckham should hit for a solid average with well above-average power for a middle infielder, while playing steady defense at shortstop. His hands are the biggest question for him defensively, but he covers enough ground and has plenty of arm for shortstop. His big league ETA is mid- to late 2010.

Ultimately, where Beckham fits with the White Sox depends on where Alexei Ramirez winds up. Ramirez likely will shift from second base to shortstop next season. If Ramirez looks good defensively there, then Beckham probably slides over to second base. If Ramirez leaves something to be desired, he could return to second base or even move to center field when Beckham is ready.

frankly, the most interesting thing there is the Lexi in CF idea... what do people think? I mean, if we can find another MI then actually i'd be interested in seeing how that worked out - but i love Lexi's D in the infield.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
frankly, the most interesting thing there is the Lexi in CF idea... what do people think? I mean, if we can find another MI then actually i'd be interested in seeing how that worked out - but i love Lexi's D in the infield.

Alexei's defense on the infield is way too valuable to have him play center. Plus, shortstops and second basemen don't just grow on trees. The possibility of the Sox acquiring a new SS and 2B this off-season is remote.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (tommy @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
Didn't Alexei start couple of games out in CF this year?

I don't remember me linking him in the outfield, neither did Ozzie.

Alexei started the first 2 games of the season in CF, with the memorable OF of Swisher, Ramirez, Dye. In game 3, after Alexei struggled the first 2 games, we put this guy Carlos Quentin in to LF. It was nearly 2 months before Q sat for a day. He was good.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
he signed too late for Chicago to request a priority roster spot for Beckham on the Peoria Saguaros.

I Just read that the Giants pulled Buster Posey from the Hawaiian League, because he was only playing every three games, and instead sent him to the instructional league. Although it's certainly a different situation since Posey's a catcher it would suprise me if the Sox's decide to pull Beckham back, and send him to get his work done alongside Jordan Danks in the instructional league.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda dig on Alexei's glove flip plays. With him I guess he could still probably pull those off from center but I like him at second better.

Just for the record, one million Alexei glove flips would not equal one of what Tadahito Iguchi did on the play that shamed the entire Matrix trilogy.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft