Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
I certainly do. 33 points is a f***ing joke. This is the second time they have scored in the 30's in a game and this team is ranked?? Give me a break.

Wait, I thought Illinois had played 27 games this year? No? Must be missing something here, help me out.

QUOTE (gbuk @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
Yeah man, it's ALL about the cash. You f***ing retard.

QUOTE (gbuk @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
Wait, I thought Illinois had played 27 games this year? No? Must be missing something here, help me out.

I think kshoe slept with this guy's girlfriend or something....

Just for the sake of argument, this same Illini team had trouble against Northwestern. I still wouldn't trust this team to win me a big game yet.

With that being said, i'm slightly an Illini fan...i'll cheer for em, but i'm not losing any sleep if they lose.

QUOTE (gbuk @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
Yeah man, it's ALL about the cash. You f***ing retard.

I was going to delete this post and replace it with this ...

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

... but since, it's already been quoted in a later post, I'll leave it here as an example of what IS NOT ACCEPTABLE at Soxtalk.com. Personal attacks are not tolerated here. Cease and desist or your time here will be coming to a quick end.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
I certainly do. 33 points is a f***ing joke. This is the second time they have scored in the 30's in a game and this team is ranked?? Give me a break.

Two games, even two as bad as the Minn game and last night, do not make a season. You couldn't possibly name 25 teams (not without sounding like an idiot) that are better than the Illini. And it's not that I think the Illini are that good. I've known for weeks that they weren't elite. College hoops is as down as it's ever been. But they most certainly deserve to be ranked.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
I've said it many times, we don't get a chance to play anyone. In conference is always much tougher than it should be. That goes for both teams. However, I still think we are every bit as talented as Illinois and I see no reason that Illinois should be ranked.

Did you think this all along or are you just talking out of your ass (wouldn't be the first time) based off of last night's game alone?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
If Deron Williams would have been on any other UIUC team besides that one, I'd probably really like him. There is no player I hate in any sport perhaps as much as I hate Dee Brown. Only because when he was in college I had to hear how supposedly great he was. I told everyone he would never be a legit NBA player. He rode Williams and Augustines coattails if you ask me. Sorry for the mini rant. Just reading the name Dee Brown riles me up. ha.

You want a cookie for predicting Dee Brown wouldn't be a successful pro? lol. Way to go out on a limb there. I bet you were the only person that predicted J.J Redick and Adam Morrison would flop in the pros.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
I was going to delete this post and replace it with this ...

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

... but since, it's already been quoted in a later post, I'll leave it here as an example of what IS NOT ACCEPTABLE at Soxtalk.com. Personal attacks are not tolerated here. Cease and desist or your time here will be coming to a quick end.

Oh nice, you guys take boarding seriously here huh? Epic post right here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 01:12 AM)
Two games, even two as bad as the Minn game and last night, do not make a season. You couldn't possibly name 25 teams (not without sounding like an idiot) that are better than the Illini. And it's not that I think the Illini are that good. I've known for weeks that they weren't elite. College hoops is as down as it's ever been. But they most certainly deserve to be ranked.

Did you think this all along or are you just talking out of your ass (wouldn't be the first time) based off of last night's game alone?

You want a cookie for predicting Dee Brown wouldn't be a successful pro? lol. Way to go out on a limb there. I bet you were the only person that predicted J.J Redick and Adam Morrison would flop in the pros.

Jordan4life 1

ISU fan 0

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
KU handles Iowa State with a 17 point victory. Hey Alex, what happened to Marcus Morris, kid looks good now.

KU now 10-1 in the conference, wow.

I really believe NCOY should go to either Weber or Self. And you know being an Illini fan (I'm still kinda pissed about how he left) it stings to have to give Self credit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
I really believe NCOY should go to either Weber or Self. And you know being an Illini fan (I'm still kinda pissed about how he left) it stings to have to give Self credit.

If KU can somehow beat OU next year and win a share of the Big 12 crown,for sure. His team is basically all freshman and newcomers. Aldrich barely sniffed the floor until March of last year and Collns is really maturing in the leader role.

Im sure they will give it to Coach K, haha

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)

Funny, the Illinois pipeline...both of their teams are overachieving mightily. Although as of now I'd give my vote to Mike Anderson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 05:26 AM)
Recruiting players that have already declared for a particular school (see Justin Dentmon), dealing with AAU and recruits handlers (see Worldwide Wes and Reggie Rose), doing everything in his power to keep criminals in school (Jamar Smith, Luther Head, and R. Roberts at SIU).

Weber treated the David Palmer situation very unprofessionally, and there's rumors he's doing the same with Joseph Bertrand now. Of course, Weber has his buddies like Brad Sturdy and Kedric Price stating that he's the cleanest coach in the history of sports, so you'll probably say none of this is true.

you mean a rivals or scout "reporter" is showing bias in their coverage of their team? that's shocking.

I'm very happy to see Ty Zeller back, he logged 9 minutes and looked pretty rusty (2 points, 4 boards, and 4 fouls), but it will help to get acclamated to the physical play these last few weeks before the tournament. Hopefully Saturday at Maryland he will get some more "tick" and give some much needed depth to the bench after the loss of Ginyard & Graves.

s***ty game last night by Illinois...another example of having no good go-to guy off the dribble dooming your team. It sucks McCamey is sick (if that's even a good excuse) but they should play through it. To not score 40 pts is ridiculous. This is worse than the MN game because at least in that game MN played solid D for 40 minutes. This game they got shot after shot after shot and couldn't hit anything.

And for those that say the Big Ten is terrible, they still have the 2nd best RPI in the country. I'm not saying their great...i dont see any team getting to the final four...but when bottom feeders start beating the top you know that as a whole the conference is pretty good.

The poster talking about Webers supposed bad acts is hilarious. Yeah it's really bad of a coach to give his players the opportunity to right their wrongs, ya know, instead of completely ruining their lives. Luther was supposedly involved in a robbery, though it was never shown he participated, only that he was there. Instead of kicking him off the team and ruining his life, he taught him a lesson and made him a millionare. As to the Jamar Smith thing, I dunno what else he could have done. To pretend that these guys aren't 18-22 year old college kids who are going to drink and make mistakes is ridiculous. He kicked him off the team for a year and told him not to f*** up again. He did, so he got booted. Name me a program in the country that hasn't had SOME issue with a player.

He's playing with a team full of good sophmores and seniors with little to no offensive talent. In a year that they were supposed to finish at 5th or 6th AT BEST, he had them in the title hunt. That's pretty f'n good in my book. Starting next season we'll be getting some serious talent mixed with experience.

And to whoever keeps posting that Illini fans b**** about the refs more than anyone else, stop beating the dead horse. EVERY team b****es about the officiating, especially when its well known the officiating sucks in college basketball. What's worse? Fans that b**** about the refs or fans that think their entitled to the greatest of great rankings because they were good 30 years ago?

As an Illini fan, I gotta say last night was disappointing but definitely not surprising. The reason we have won so many games and are ranked is cause of our defense, which played awesome again last night. But we still dont have any consistent scoring threats that we can count on if we are in a big offensive slump. McCamey, Davis, and Tisdale all go from having good games to not showing up other nights, Meachem had not done much in Big Ten play, other than the last 5 minutes at NW, and Frazier is a point guard who can lead/distribute but not much of a scorer. When our offense is clicking, it looks pretty good, but they are always suspectible to games like last night, especially against tougher defenses.

Do Illini fans b**** about the refs? Totally. Do they do it more than other teams fans? Possibly. But check out any teams message board after they lose a big game, and there will be fans complaining about the refs everywhere. I hear the same complaints from teams after playing in Champaign all the time (except for PSU last night of course). Happens in the NBA too, its just the nature of the sport. And for Illini fan blaming the refs for having 0 FTAs last night, open your basketball eyes. Its hard to get to the foul line when your whole team, even your big guys, prefer jump shots as opposed to driving to the hoop.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
s***ty game last night by Illinois...another example of having no good go-to guy off the dribble dooming your team. It sucks McCamey is sick (if that's even a good excuse) but they should play through it. To not score 40 pts is ridiculous. This is worse than the MN game because at least in that game MN played solid D for 40 minutes. This game they got shot after shot after shot and couldn't hit anything.

And for those that say the Big Ten is terrible, they still have the 2nd best RPI in the country. I'm not saying their great...i dont see any team getting to the final four...but when bottom feeders start beating the top you know that as a whole the conference is pretty good.

The poster talking about Webers supposed bad acts is hilarious. Yeah it's really bad of a coach to give his players the opportunity to right their wrongs, ya know, instead of completely ruining their lives. Luther was supposedly involved in a robbery, though it was never shown he participated, only that he was there. Instead of kicking him off the team and ruining his life, he taught him a lesson and made him a millionare. As to the Jamar Smith thing, I dunno what else he could have done. To pretend that these guys aren't 18-22 year old college kids who are going to drink and make mistakes is ridiculous. He kicked him off the team for a year and told him not to f*** up again. He did, so he got booted. Name me a program in the country that hasn't had SOME issue with a player.

He's playing with a team full of good sophmores and seniors with little to no offensive talent. In a year that they were supposed to finish at 5th or 6th AT BEST, he had them in the title hunt. That's pretty f'n good in my book. Starting next season we'll be getting some serious talent mixed with experience.

And to whoever keeps posting that Illini fans b**** about the refs more than anyone else, stop beating the dead horse. EVERY team b****es about the officiating, especially when its well known the officiating sucks in college basketball. What's worse? Fans that b**** about the refs or fans that think their entitled to the greatest of great rankings because they were good 30 years ago?

that is our old friend Buerhle >>> Wood, he loves blaming the refs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
So who's your All American team so far? Mine would be:

pg- Ty Lawson

sg- Stephen Curry

c- Dejuan Blair

sf- Jodie Meeks

pf- Blake Griffin

Harden, Thabeet, Hansbrough, McNeal, Harangody, and Calathes just miss

I think i'd take McNeal and Harden over Lawson ATM

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
that is our old friend Buerhle >>> Wood, he loves blaming the refs.

They blame the refs, win or lose. Another staple of Weber is always claiming someone was sick/injured after a loss. Last night, he was saying McCamey was throwing up at halftime. If a guy is sick or injured, then don't play him! The Illini have to be one of the luckiest teams, with regards to health, all year in the NCAA. Not many other teams can start the same lineup in 25 consecutive games.