• Obama / Biden DEM
    • McCain / Palin REP
    • Someone Else
    • I Did Not Vote, Came Here Anyway, Want To See The Results

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shaneomacfan @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
1 vote for Obama on the Northern Iowa campus, the place was packed!

I really expect Obama to CRUSH McCain in Iowa. College students are really getting into it, which is f***ing awesome to see, no matter your party. Political involvement kicks ass.

We voted today - that's 2 more for Obama in IL.

Also voted...

US Senate, IL-1: Durbin (D)

US House, IL-4: Lopez (G)

State House, IL-11: Fritchey (D, and he was running uncontested)

Metro Water: I voted for the 3 Green candidates

Judges: all confirmations uncontested, so I didn't bother voting on those

NO on Constitutional Convention

YES on Recall amendment

---

I should note that I would like to, in general, have voted for a Republican at the state level. But my rep was running uncontested, and the state senate seat isn't up until 2010.

I guess I should have run for state house.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
I really expect Obama to CRUSH McCain in Iowa. College students are really getting into it, which is f***ing awesome to see, no matter your party. Political involvement kicks ass.

Agreed. And it really has been great to see, especially since older generations tend to discredit the youth vote, claiming that we never show up on election day. Methinks it'll be a little bit different this time around. :headbang

QUOTE (shaneomacfan @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
Agreed. And it really has been great to see, especially since older generations tend to discredit the youth vote, claiming that we never show up on election day. Methinks it'll be a little bit different this time around. :headbang

Me thinks there are a lot more older people than college students. :headbang And its always different this time around. :lol:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Wasn't there record youth turnout in the Dem primaries?

Again, with the population growth, comes record youth turnouts. I can't think of an election where there hasn't been record numbers of youth voting. And the Dems like to energize the youth vote and reporting the records and the grass roots enthusiasm is a great way to doing it. I'm not discounting the importance or influence, but it's been a constant in every Presidential election since Carter.

The youth are voting in record numbers! Be a part of the generation like all your friends.

Let me say this another way. Are there more youth in America today or four years ago? 24 years ago?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Again, with the population growth, comes record youth turnouts. I can't think of an election where there hasn't been record numbers of youth voting. And the Dems like to energize the youth vote and reporting the records and the grass roots enthusiasm is a great way to doing it. I'm not discounting the importance or influence, but it's been a constant in every Presidential election since Carter.

The youth are voting in record numbers! Be a part of the generation like all your friends.

Let me say this another way. Are there more youth in America today or four years ago? 24 years ago?

I'm talking as a percentage of voters not total number of youth votes.

I didnt want to vote early because going to vote on election day makes me feel so nostalgic and warm and fuzzy.Something about the whole process being kinda old fashioned and all the elderly folk around makes me feel good.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I'm talking as a percentage of voters not total number of youth votes.

That may be. I certainly hope so.

Of course the next step to make young people more relevant in the process is contributions. That's kind of where the rubber hits the road. Now it's basically fire up the youth then ignore them while everyone with money get's attention.

BTW, as I was writing this I was thinking of a great short story that ties in with this. If you get a chance read "Mr. Cornelius Johnson, Office Seeker," by Paul Laurence Dunbar.

Available here

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)

the youth turnout in the primaries was up dramatically. and my dad works with polling and his numbers he got back recently showed that something like 40% of youth say they follow the election "closely", and 73% said they absolutely plan to vote. and whether they do or not, even THAT number is up significantly from the past.