Baseball America White Sox Top 10 Prospects

Fantl916

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
LOL. You really hate that guy, don't you?

Give us the rundown JPN.

What have you seen (or not seen) with McCulloch?

Is it a stuff issue?

I seem to remember you saying something earlier in the year that McCulloch seemed prone to giving up the big inning.

Yeah, it's usually the 4th inning. 89 MPH Fastball, 84 MPH Changeup, 87 MPH Sinker...which leads to hitters pounding him. His numbers speak for himself.

Edited by JPN366

It's encouraging to read of Beckham's success. I hope people realize that it's our terrible 2007 (and Cincinnati selecting Alonso) that made this possible. In fact, myself and many others here were upset they didn't lose MORE games in 2007. Every victory after midseason was a useless victory in my mind. Our system was (well, still is) one of the worst in the majors and any additional boost to our chances of selecting a talented prospect was worth the embarrassment of potentially losing 100 games. I know the "I NEVER WANT THE SOX TO LOSE" fanboys didn't think so, but their kind is unable to look into the future.

Entering last summer the White Sox desperately needed their high selection to be successful. So far, it looks good. This isn't even including the numerous other draftees who have shown promise in their first professional seasons.

Sure, it's always a combination of luck (ie, players falling past their projected position) and the ability of an organization to identify the right talent. It's just easier for these forces to come together at 8th overall opposed to the 15-25 range we usually found ourselves in. Yes, Beckham hasn't proven himself; but atleast there's someone available from within that will provide one less question mark either midseaon 2009 or entering 2010.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
It's encouraging to read of Beckham's success. I hope people realize that it's our terrible 2007 (and Cincinnati selecting Alonso) that made this possible. In fact, myself and many others here were upset they didn't lose MORE games in 2007. Every victory after midseason was a useless victory in my mind. Our system was (well, still is) one of the worst in the majors and any additional boost to our chances of selecting a talented prospect was worth the embarrassment of potentially losing 100 games. I know the "I NEVER WANT THE SOX TO LOSE" fanboys didn't think so, but their kind is unable to look into the future.

Entering last summer the White Sox desperately needed their high selection to be successful. So far, it looks good. This isn't even including the numerous other draftees who have shown promise in their first professional seasons.

Sure, it's always a combination of luck (ie, players falling past their projected position) and the ability of an organization to identify the right talent. It's just easier for these forces to come together at 8th overall opposed to the 15-25 range we usually found ourselves in. Yes, Beckham hasn't proven himself; but atleast there's someone available from within that will provide one less question mark either midseaon 2009 or entering 2010.

that's hilarious that you just called white sox fans rooting for their team to win "fanboys" and implied that they're some kinda insipid strain of fan or something.

hey, check it out: s***ty teams pick near the top of the draft annually and stay s***ty all the time in every sport.

further, MLB draft studies've shown pretty definitively that unless you picking #1 overall, there ain't much difference between draft slots in the first round. that is, the correlation between draft slot and acquiring an impact MLBer is minimal. so, historically, picking #2 has only the tiniest bit better chance of rendering an impact player than picking #8. or #15 (in fact, as of 2005 the #15 pick had on average rendered a higher WARP than the #8). or whatever.

so maybe you should lay off peeps rootin for their team to win games. they ain't as short sighted as you think. and maybe you ain't lookin to the future as much as you think, or ain't understandin what you lookin at anyway.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
According to the chat(thanks to Jim at Soxmachine.com),

Nevin Griffith had Tommy John surgery and is out for all of '09, Buddy Bell really likes Morel's D at 3rd, Jon Link may be in the front of the line for back-of-the-bullpen fodder, and Carter and Hudson may start at W-S this year.

Ouch on the Griffith front but is good to see that he likes Morel he moved pretty fast through the system for just his first year of pro ball and if he could continue his batting for average and add some power maybe as he came up the system id love for him to be an option at 3rd in the years to come.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Ouch on the Griffith front but is good to see that he likes Morel he moved pretty fast through the system for just his first year of pro ball and if he could continue his batting for average and add some power maybe as he came up the system id love for him to be an option at 3rd in the years to come.

I really like how Morel starting hitting homers at the end of the season. I think Morel and Danks will both be at Winston-Salem.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)

Nevin Griffith had Tommy John surgery and is out for all of '09, Buddy Bell really likes Morel's D at 3rd, Jon Link may be in the front of the line for back-of-the-bullpen fodder, and Carter and Hudson may start at W-S this year.

I think the Jorge Castillo possibly moving to catcher point is a fairly significant one also, as a 1st baseman he's not much of a prospect, but if he can learn to catch, and catch well, he suddenly become a much more attractive prospect.

• 3 weeks later...
The White Sox Top 10 has undergone some significant renovations since we first released it. We update the lists in the Prospect Handbook with transactions through mid-December, and Chicago's has three new faces in Viciedo and two former Braves, catcher Tyler Flowers and shortstop Brent Lillibridge. GM Kenny Williams loves to wheel and deal, so we may not be done making changes.

1. Gordon Beckham, ss

The No. 8 overall pick in the 2008 draft led NCAA Division I with 28 homers last spring.

2. Dayan Viciedo, 3b/of

The Cuban defector compares to the Giants' Angel Villalona, with better defense.

3. Aaron Poreda, lhp

His strong Arizona Fall League performance could help him make the big league staff.

4. Tyler Flowers, c

He topped the AFL with 12 homers but his catching skills are suspect.

5. Clayton Richard, lhp

White Sox fans were hoping he'd get a postseason start in place of Vazquez.

6. Brandon Allen, 1b

He showed off his power by homering twice off David Price in his first Double-A game.

7. Jordan Danks, of

John's little brother is the best athlete in the White Sox system.

8. Brent Lillibridge, ss

With Alexei Ramirez moving to shortstop, Lillibridge will compete for the second-base job.

9. Chris Getz, 2b/ss/of

Getz is in the second-base mix as well, though he must recover from a broken wrist.

10. John Shelby, of

The son of the ex-big leaguer had 15 homers and 33 steals last year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...008/267292.html

Talk about upgrading...

2008:

1. Aaron Poreda, lhp

2. Lance Broadway, rhp

3. Jack Egbert, rhp

4. Jose Martinez, of

5. Chris Getz, 2b

6. John Ely, rhp

7. Juan Silverio, ss

8. John Shelby Jr., of

9. Adam Russell, rhp

10. Kyle McCulloch, rhp

2009:

1. Gordon Beckham, ss

2. Dayan Viciedo, 3b

3. Aaron Poreda, lhp

4. Tyler Flowers, c

5. Clayton Richard, lhp

6. Brandon Allen, 1b

7. Jordan Danks, of

8. Brent Lillibridge, ss

9. Chris Getz, 2b/ss/of

10. John Shelby, of

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:03 AM)
Talk about upgrading...

2008:

1. Aaron Poreda, lhp

2. Lance Broadway, rhp

3. Jack Egbert, rhp

4. Jose Martinez, of

5. Chris Getz, 2b

6. John Ely, rhp

7. Juan Silverio, ss

8. John Shelby Jr., of

9. Adam Russell, rhp

10. Kyle McCulloch, rhp

2009:

1. Gordon Beckham, ss

2. Dayan Viciedo, 3b

3. Aaron Poreda, lhp

4. Tyler Flowers, c

5. Clayton Richard, lhp

6. Brandon Allen, 1b

7. Jordan Danks, of

8. Brent Lillibridge, ss

9. Chris Getz, 2b/ss/of

10. John Shelby, of

No kidding. Our farm system has to be top 15-20 if not higher at this point. That's a hell of a haul for one draft and two middling major leaguers (Swish and Vaz)

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)

Holy s***. I didn't even see this post. He's out for the whole year? That really sucks. I'm really high on Nevin. I loved the pick. s***!

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 03:47 AM)
We still don't have a ton of depth but I can't remember the last time our top 4 prospects have had that much potential. Definite upgrade over last season.

We're certainly not the Rangers or Marlins. But we've taken a big step up the last couple years. The last two drafts have been pretty good (I can't stress how glad I am that Duane Shaffer and the rest of those bums are gone). I'm really looking forward to seeing how Daniel Hudson, Dexter Carter and Tyler Kuhn progress. All three dominated at Great Falls last year. I'm assuming all three will start at Kanny this year (what do you think Scenario?). If they show last year wasn't a fluke, that will go a long way in improving the depth. Jose Martinez is another key guy to focus on. He has good tools and was having a very good year at Kanny before he got injured.

Just feels good to want to actually follow the system again. It got pretty damn bad (as Tizzle loved to remind us, like, every single day) there for a while.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
2009:

1. Gordon Beckham, ss

2. Dayan Viciedo, 3b

3. Aaron Poreda, lhp

4. Tyler Flowers, c

5. Clayton Richard, lhp

6. Brandon Allen, 1b

7. Jordan Danks, of

8. Brent Lillibridge, ss

9. Chris Getz, 2b/ss/of

10. John Shelby, of

Sure would be nice if all these guys would work out, and then we can just use FA dollars on pitching.

EDIT: Man, even if that worked out we'd still need a leadoff hitter and/or cf.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
Sure would be nice if all these guys would work out, and then we can just use FA dollars on pitching.

EDIT: Man, even if that worked out we'd still need a leadoff hitter and/or cf.

There is about a zero percent chance of that actually happening. I would say best case scenario is about 4 of those guys become everyday major leaguers.

AL top ten from a John Manuel chat.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24557

Doug, Brooklyn, NY: C'mon, AL top 10 please! I won't even hold it against you for knocking the NFL Hall of Fame when the MLB one has turned into the Hall of Pretty Good lately.

John Manuel: MLB's HOF has actually improved its standards compared to the guys it used to allow in, but I agree the Rice vote doesn't help the Hall. My AL top 10 went a little something like this; Wieters-Price-Feliz, then Travis Snider, Brett Anderson, fellow Greek-American Mike Moustakas, Chris Tillman, Trevor Cahill, Gordon Beckham and Brian Matusz.

Vik (Chicago): Who would you play at 2B for the Whitesox? Getz, Lillibridge or Nix? Any of them long-term starters?

John Manuel: Best spring training wins. Getz might be the best fit in terms of bringing a different look to the lineup as an LH bat with some speed; that team seems very righthanded to me. Nix is a good guy to try but I don't have confidence that he will hit. Lillibridge brings more value if he's playing SS but to me he, like Getz, is more of an extra guy. They're all place-holders for Gordon Beckham, who will rake in pro ball, I'm a Beckham fan.

Edited by VenomSox