ESPN radio reporting Mets/White Sox talks heating up...

Fantl916

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting part of the Atlanta deal is that by jumping the gun with a good offer for us, they may well have prevented the Mets from getting better via the trade route. There's always talk of those teams in the NL east trying to make sure they don't let the other teams build up an advantage. Wonder if that played a role in getting the Vazquez deal done; now the Mets and Sox are much worse matches.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
An interesting part of the Atlanta deal is that by jumping the gun with a good offer for us, they may well have prevented the Mets from getting better via the trade route. There's always talk of those teams in the NL east trying to make sure they don't let the other teams build up an advantage. Wonder if that played a role in getting the Vazquez deal done; now the Mets and Sox are much worse matches.

good point.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Unless you got Pelfrey, Murphy and Martinez for those 2, I don't think any trade with the Mets is worth it, to be frank.

And Minaya can just go out sign Abreu and K-Rod, and not have to give up any of those 3.

Which is probably what the Braves would prefer they do, because that pretty much forces them to overspend at a time when the economy is tanking and their new ballpark is about to be renamed "Seized by the U.S. government field"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)

I thought this from the start-wish we could do something like this to the Twins or Indians

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
DBAHO, with this economy teams are hesitant to go and sign FAs. The money isn't there this year, especially considering what K-rod is asking for.

K-Rod may have to settle for 3/35. I think the Mets would still jump all over him for that. They've got some contracts coming off the books themselves (e.g Pedro Martinez).

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
Unless KW has a master plan with free agency, he really shouldn't go through with this.

We would be giving up a lot that's for sure and I don't think it's a great deal for us to be making. For the Mets maybe but not the Sox

If we are giving up Jenks and Dye... I want Beltran in part of this deal. This is from October and probably means nothing but hell...October 10, 2008

The New York Mets will be willing to listen to offers for center fielder Carlos Beltran, according to MetsBlog.com.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
If we are giving up Jenks and Dye... I want Beltran in part of this deal. This is from October and probably means nothing but hell...October 10, 2008

The New York Mets will be willing to listen to offers for center fielder Carlos Beltran, according to MetsBlog.com.

Beltran would be nice...but I can't see Kenny taking him on at $18.M per year for 3 more years.

$8.5 million of Beltran’s salaries in the 2008-2011 seasons are being deferred and paid to him after the contract expires...so even if the Mets would pick up the deferments that's still over $15.5 a year...which in itself isn't unreasonable IMO if he produced big numbers. But realistically speaking...it think it would be more along the lines of Fernando Martinez and others like was stated before by others.

Dye likely wouldn't agree to a deal to the Mets. But I could see Jenks going to them. Would the Mets part with Martinez for him? And would the sox do it? The same question could be asked of Pelfrey? Would the Mets do a swap of Jenks for Pelfrey and would the sox?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
I read an article or 3 from NY papers a couple of weeks ago, and Jenks was about option #6 for the Mets.

That was before they started hearing about what Fuentes and KRod were asking for. Those reports also said Putz [who likely wouldn't be deal] and Wood were above Jenks. The Mets are only going to accept a top notch closer, or their fans will riot. They might have to overpay in terms of dollars or prospects to get it done.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
I read an article or 3 from NY papers a couple of weeks ago, and Jenks was about option #6 for the Mets.

I don't necessarily think it's the idea of Jenks or Dye that the Mets are enamored with, but rather the fact that they can do some one-stop shopping and get both players in one deal. They probably save by doing this, whether it is financially or in terms of other resources (or both).

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
That was before they started hearing about what Fuentes and KRod were asking for. Those reports also said Putz [who likely wouldn't be deal] and Wood were above Jenks. The Mets are only going to accept a top notch closer, or their fans will riot. They might have to overpay in terms of dollars or prospects to get it done.

K-Rod's contract demands have gone down. The article also stated the Mets were not too thrilled with Jenks' declining strikeout rates. I'm sure they are the odds on favorite to land K-Rod. The Mets will wait it out. You know if K-Rod gets a 4 or 5 year offer from another team, they will bring it back to the Mets. Who that other team may be, I have no idea. Could be the White Sox if they trade Jenks.

Edited by Dick Allen