Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
Long time reader but first post so here we go.....

I see Matt Kemp as not only an better CFer then what we have had recently(Swisher, Griffey) along with a feasible leadoff man(anything is better then jerry owens)... and cheap for now...

Before recent talk of Casey Blake signing back with the Dodgers I was thinking a package built around Fields... obv now that would probably not be the starting point... So what everyone think it would take and worth it?

Hes gonna be a STUD....!!!!

:cheers Welcome to the Board!!! :cheers

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
This part got my attention

they have to spend some money on free agents. its inevitable. unfortunately i just dont see a big named guy coming our way. but you never know with KW

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)
The meetings have just started, but I think you are going to see some FA's fall through the cracks. The demand just doesn't seem to be warrant what some were expecting. Hopefully the Sox can capitalize on their position.

The problem is as more FA's fall through the cracks the value of Dye falls. I do believe Dye is the last piece the Sox deal and than you'll see them add some free agents and potentially swing a trade or two where they buy a player. The only guy I can really see them jump after quickly is Furcal though and his value is pretty fair (albeit there is risk associated with his back). Still, a healthy Furcal would be a signifcant upgrade.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
they have to spend some money on free agents. its inevitable. unfortunately i just dont see a big named guy coming our way. but you never know with KW

True. He likes big name guys though and he thinks big. I'm just glad the article didn't say "We are poor, broke, busted. The Sox will be lucky to survive the eminent complete collapse of the global financial system. POOR like that Kenny kid from South Park man! Don't you get it we have no f****** money to pay players. Any money I save in dumping salary will go toward my own golden parachute severance package when the MLB folds. I do have some good news. Kenny Williams Jr. has been extended to a 20 year 350 million dollar contract."

I'll stick by my prediction. Furcal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
Santo's biggest fear: Michael Young is on the market.

Believe me, Santo is not alone. It would be pretty funny if the Rangers traded Young before the ridiculous 5 year, $80M extension they gave him 2 years ago even kicks in. Last year was an option year, he starts making $16M a year in 2009. Imagine how undesirable Michael Young will be in 2012 or 2013 when he's 35/36 years old, incapable of playing even a mediocre 2B, putting up a low .700 OPS and making 16 million dollars with a full no trade clause.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:15 AM)
Believe me, Santo is not alone. It would be pretty funny if the Rangers traded Young before the ridiculous 5 year, $80M extension they gave him 2 years ago even kicks in. Last year was an option year, he starts making $16M a year in 2009. Imagine how undesirable Michael Young will be in 2012 or 2013 when he's 35/36 years old, incapable of playing even a mediocre 2B, putting up a low .700 OPS and making 16 million dollars with a full no trade clause.

derek-jeter-wfw-400a053007.jpg

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:15 AM)

Between this, trading Danks, and their perpetual dearth of quality pitching, that organization is hilariously incompetent.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:36 AM)
to be fair the Rangers have some pluses. They have a top3 farm system without a doubt, than ontop of that they got some good young talent on big league club already with chris davis, david murphy, ian kinsler, salty, and hamilton is a stud.

The problem being that three of the players you mention weren’t even developed by the Rangers they came from outside the organization. That being said, I like Teargarden and Boggs, and they’ve got some decent pitching prospects coming up the pipe

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)
The problem being that three of the players you mention weren’t even developed by the Rangers they came from outside the organization. That being said, I like Teargarden and Boggs, and they’ve got some decent pitching prospects coming up the pipe

I hope so. It seems like for as long as I've been following baseball, they've always had a strong offense but weak pitching. To be fair, their ballpark and hot environment probably have a lot to do with it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)

I don't think it matters that 3 of those players came from other organizations seeing as how they are now Texas Rangers and are developing as such.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:42 AM)
I don't think it matters that 3 of those players came from other organizations seeing as how they are now Texas Rangers and are developing as such.

Agreed, although Murphy, Hamilton, and Salty had already produced somewhat at the Major League Level prior to being acquired, The Rangers have done a good job at facilitating their development as players.