Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Lowell, loser: The Red Sox third baseman was World Series MVP in 2007, and last season he played until his hip got so bad he no longer could walk and underwent surgery. Now, all he’s hearing is that he’ll be traded if the Red Sox sign Teixeira and move Kevin Youkilis to third. He’s a big boy and should understand it’s a business, but it still has to sting. www.yahoo.com/sports

Wonder if KW makes a play for him (or the Twins) if the Red Sox do end up with Tex (assuming he turns down the Nationals)....?

With Beltre adding the Twins to his list of "no trade" teams (maybe a bargaining ploy) and Blake off the table, that leaves the Twins looking at Crede, Atkins or Kouzmanoff still.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Mike Lowell, loser: The Red Sox third baseman was World Series MVP in 2007, and last season he played until his hip got so bad he no longer could walk and underwent surgery. Now, all he’s hearing is that he’ll be traded if the Red Sox sign Teixeira and move Kevin Youkilis to third. He’s a big boy and should understand it’s a business, but it still has to sting. www.yahoo.com/sports

Wonder if KW makes a play for him (or the Twins) if the Red Sox do end up with Tex (assuming he turns down the Nationals)....?

With Beltre adding the Twins to his list of "no trade" teams (maybe a bargaining ploy) and Blake off the table, that leaves the Twins looking at Crede, Atkins or Kouzmanoff still.

Lowell is good BTW.

But I think we are going to see if in house players can fill the void at 3B

BTW, where is the market for Crede? I havent heard ANYTHING

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Lowell is good BTW.

But I think we are going to see if in house players can fill the void at 3B

Boras sent out a press release saying that Joe is about to start skill activities. He'll probably hold a workout at some point.

Let's say Punto gets 500 at bats and hits .230. That's 115 hits. Let's also say that, over the course of the season, there are 30 balls that he turns into outs that would have been hits or reached on error with an average shortstop (that's one every 6 games). Add those 30 to his 115 and now he's effectively hitting .290. Throw in those intangibles, and he's probably a good piece of the puzzle. If you don't think those "intangibles" are worth much, follow the White Sox for a while. (Note, those same "intangibles" really helped the White Sox in 2005 and 2008, if they haven't noticed, we've won 2 of the last 4 AL Central titles, they've only got one and nothing to show for that appearance, as usual.) www.startribune.com

Had to include these gems from the Twins' blog...they are going crazy over there!

Punto stinks

He probably lead the league in stupid baserunning mistakes that led directly to outs. He has zero power and stinks at the plate. He slides head first into first base, what kind of idiot does that? Why do the Twins even go to the winter meetings? They do nothing ever. This team will be terrible in 2010 when they stop playing on the concrete carpet and actually have to hit for power to score runs. I am a slappy banjo hitter who hardly hits .250 with zero power and runs the bases like Hellen Keller, can I have $8.5 million too? Punto got it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
Punto stinks

He probably lead the league in stupid baserunning mistakes that led directly to outs. He has zero power and stinks at the plate. He slides head first into first base, what kind of idiot does that? Why do the Twins even go to the winter meetings? They do nothing ever. This team will be terrible in 2010 when they stop playing on the concrete carpet and actually have to hit for power to score runs. I am a slappy banjo hitter who hardly hits .250 with zero power and runs the bases like Hellen Keller, can I have $8.5 million too? Punto got it.

Classic rant. I love it.

Punto stinks

The Hawk sees nothing wrong with it

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)

there are A LOT of guys still out there and the market is going to get even thicker once teams non-tender guys.

i know that the winter meetings in many years are the high point of offseason activity, but that's not going to be the case this year. i think everyone's just trying to wait out the market and see what shakes out.

this is one reason i'm not losing sleep over the fact that we didn't get anything done in vegas. we haven't seen the most active part of the offseason market yet. we will.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
there are A LOT of guys still out there and the market is going to get even thicker once teams non-tender guys.

i know that the winter meetings in many years are the high point of offseason activity, but that's not going to be the case this year. i think everyone's just trying to wait out the market and see what shakes out.

this is one reason i'm not losing sleep over the fact that we didn't get anything done in vegas. we haven't seen the most active part of the offseason market yet. we will.

There are still too many of the top tier free agents on the market, and it's been slow moving. Once these guys go, and the big spenders are done spending, we'll see some of the mid-level clubs jump in.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
There are still too many of the top tier free agents on the market, and it's been slow moving. Once these guys go, and the big spenders are done spending, we'll see some of the mid-level clubs jump in.

Amazing how far we've fallen...from Top 5 to "mid-level" again.

Yikes. Well, nothing to worry about, the closest we were in the past five years to "mid-level" was 2005. Worked out pretty well, I think.

As long as the Twins aren't spending money, I'm not quite so concerned. However, with Wood in CLE and Edwin Jackson in DET (although what were they thinking with Adam Everett?), those two teams are improved (more able to compete with the Sox, as KW would put it) on paper at least.

In a sign of the Tigers' fall, they weren't able to come up with the prospects to get involved in the big Putz trade, and they were outbit by CLE on Kerry Wood. If nothing else, this "economic recession" probably gives the White Sox the biggest advantage/cushion going forward over the other four markets in our division, especially DET and CLE.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 07:30 AM)
Boras sent out a press release saying that Joe is about to start skill activities. He'll probably hold a workout at some point.

After last season, I doubt any team will offer Joe a major league deal. Someone will offer him an invitation to camp.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
After last season, I doubt any team will offer Joe a major league deal. Someone will offer him an invitation to camp.

Thats the thing, he is MAYBE an afterthought for a team, pretty far fall from what people expected Joe to get before last season.

Punto stinks

This is one of the funniest rants that i've read lately. I think its safe to say that this person really doesn't like Nick Punto.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Punto stinks

keller is actually underrated as a baserunner. she makes up for her lack of speed and sight with excellent technique.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
Amazing how far we've fallen...from Top 5 to "mid-level" again.

Yikes. Well, nothing to worry about, the closest we were in the past five years to "mid-level" was 2005. Worked out pretty well, I think.

As long as the Twins aren't spending money, I'm not quite so concerned. However, with Wood in CLE and Edwin Jackson in DET (although what were they thinking with Adam Everett?), those two teams are improved (more able to compete with the Sox, as KW would put it) on paper at least.

In a sign of the Tigers' fall, they weren't able to come up with the prospects to get involved in the big Putz trade, and they were outbit by CLE on Kerry Wood. If nothing else, this "economic recession" probably gives the White Sox the biggest advantage/cushion going forward over the other four markets in our division, especially DET and CLE.

Speaking of the Tigers, they are the team to really watch in our division. Their 2010 rotation should be Verlander-Galarraga-Bonderman-Jackson-Porcello which has a chance to be pretty darn sick. The Everett signing I like, especially over giving up talent for Jack Wilson, because they need the extra defense. Laird was also a nice acquisition for them.

The main saving grace (for us) with the Tigers is the fact they gave bad, long-term contracts to Sheffield, Robertson, and Willis, but Sheff comes off the books after '09 and the other two are gone after 2010. There were rumors that a Sheffield-for-Catalanatto deal could take place, which would be great for them if they could then move Maggs to DH and pick up some defense in the OF.

The bullpen is still horrendous though, but I think those of the opinion that the Tigers are old and dying are wrong. They've got the starting pitching to contend and have Granderson, Cabrera, and Maggs locked in for a long time to come.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
Speaking of the Tigers, they are the team to really watch in our division. Their 2010 rotation should be Verlander-Galarraga-Bonderman-Jackson-Porcello which has a chance to be pretty darn sick. The Everett signing I like, especially over giving up talent for Jack Wilson, because they need the extra defense. Laird was also a nice acquisition for them.

The main saving grace (for us) with the Tigers is the fact they gave bad, long-term contracts to Sheffield, Robertson, and Willis, but Sheff comes off the books after '09 and the other two are gone after 2010. There were rumors that a Sheffield-for-Catalanatto deal could take place, which would be great for them if they could then move Maggs to DH and pick up some defense in the OF.

The bullpen is still horrendous though, but I think those of the opinion that the Tigers are old and dying are wrong. They've got the starting pitching to contend and have Granderson, Cabrera, and Maggs locked in for a long time to come.

Verlander is good, but hasnt been great yet. Galarraga I think had an outstanding, but unrepeatable year. Look at his minor league stats, theyre just not that good. I think he will be a good 3/4 starter. Bonderman is so inconsistent, maybe he finally puts it together, but I see another 4 era from him. Jackson is about the same to me as Bonderman. Procello will not be starting the year with the Tigers. He'll probably start at AA and move up to AAA, and might come up for September or injuries. Robertson will be the fifth starter, and he'll be around a 4.5-5 era, mroe like 5.

They have a bunch of okay guys, with the potential to be great. But theyve been so "okay" for awhile that alot of that potential is going away.

Their bullpen still sucks, even if they sign a closer. Rodney, Zumaya, tehy are both overhyped. They have a bunch of over 4 era guys, not much else.

That lineup will be good, as well the defense, but they definitely have holes. Everett at the plate, and Miggy/Guillen in the field just to name a few.

The Tigers will be good, but they arent scary to me. I also dont feel like they are together as a team.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
if asked to pick right now, i wonder who the prognosticators would pick to win the AL CENTRAL in '09. My guess is that it will be CLE again. Sizemore and company, Lee, now Wood. A healthy Hafner (maybe).

Nah, rotation's too shaky. They'll pick the Twins.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
if asked to pick right now, i wonder who the prognosticators would pick to win the AL CENTRAL in '09. My guess is that it will be CLE again. Sizemore and company, Lee, now Wood. A healthy Hafner (maybe).

The only way they're getting the old Hafner back is if he hooks back up with his HGH dealer.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)

Pointless discussion until sometime in March.

As Castellini was chatting, Jay Bruce walked up. Bruce is sporting a long 'do. "It's like I had in high school," he said.

Bruce wanted to know the same thing: Who are we going to get?

Bruce likes the idea of taking a flyer on Rocco Baldelli.

Bruce likes the Mark DeRosa ideal: "He can rake."

But Bruce was reminded by somneone who would know that DeRosa cost a Johnny Cueto.

"I wouldn't do that," he said.

He wouldn't give up Homer Bailey for Jermaine Dye.

"Homer's 22," Bruce said. "That doesn't make sense."

Bruce, by the way, has been lobbying Jerry Hairston Jr. to return. Bruce said Hairston is also considering Seattle and Philadelphia.

"He should come back here," Bruce said. "He'd play center and lead off and we'd win."

from mlbtraderumors